What type of coolant does everyone use?

-

Ridge911

Reaction score
While getting my radiator leak fixed, I was wondering what types of coolant everyone uses? I am interested to see if anyone widely agrees on any certain type...

(Searched, but couldn't find anything useful or remotely related)

One big thing that many folks miss is that in some areas, WATER is simply garbage. (My years in San Diego.) If you use a conventional coolant like Prestone, use "purified" store bought water, distilled if you can get it, instead of tap water.

I get the cheapest **** I can find at Wal Mart.

As usual, Stroker "has a way with words!!!" LOL

fpbnl.gif

I use the highest Glycol content coolant I can get....usually about 1000g per litre or higher.

I hope that is not the pre-mixed stuff. I'm not saying pre-mixed is bad but if you pay $10 a gallon for pre-mix, you just paid someone $5 for a half gallon of their water.

and its like 11 bucks for straight lol...

but yea green and distilled water... if a track only car they require Water only and then run a zinc anode and an additive...

Only about $0.89 around here, in Cook County it is about the same but the tax is 9.25%.

Brand name isn't that important, but stay far far away from anything dex-cool! Especially if you have any aluminum in your cooling system. Conventional green works well in the older cars as well as the new. If you have hard water mix it with distilled water.

Save the water from your AC condensate drain line !!!

Nice try, but NOT

That water has all the impurities that went through the air filter and "stuck" to the evaporator coil.

I used to work in the HVAC/R field, and cleaning evaps of heavy smokers was NOT a fun job!!

Also, any environment, such as body shops, photo/ printing shops, or beauty shops which have a lot of chemicals in the air are VERY hard on heating and cooling heat exchangers. The chemicals literally corrode the equipment to death.

One big thing that many folks miss is that in some areas, WATER is simply garbage. (My years in San Diego.) If you use a conventional coolant like Prestone, use "purified" store bought water, distilled if you can get it, instead of tap water.

It depends on the total hardness (calcium/magnesium ) of the water. I have soft water where I live so tap water is fine.

It depends on the total hardness (calcium/magnesium ) of the water. I have soft water where I live so tap water is fine.

Wouldn't water that has passed through a softener have a different ph since it passed through an ion exchanger?

-
Back