What would it take to carry the front wheels to the 60' beams?

-
Believe me I like a wheel stand as much as anyone, but feel that it is not the best use of horsepower. It would be more efficient if the car went straight with the wheels on the ground using all the horsepower to lower your et. JMO

I agree with it being more efficient to move forward vs moving up.

On a small tire car with limited tire and traction to deal with I think there is probably some sort of balance to transferring weight and how hard the tires get hit from any number of factors during the initial launch through the first 6o' when traction is at the breaking point of biting the track or not. Although I'll be the first to admit I have limited knowledge on the subject.

Most of us average Joe's are just out bracket racing so the fastest or best ET is not really of importance as much as consistency. I have seen many wheel standing cars win bracket classes though. So there is no denying that it doesn't work or win races.

The Hemi cars do generally run a heads up class though as far as I know. It would be interesting to know more about the car set ups. I tend to agree with others that if the cars would be faster without wheel standing. That's what you would see from those guys. I would guess at that level they are looking for ever .001 of a second advantage. I highly doubt, unlike myself they are worried about if the car looks cool in the way it launches.

You are talking 2 different animals here.
Pro Stock are chassis car and SS Hemi cars not.
Chassis cars are lower to the ground.

There are several high end SS cars that are built more like a Pro Stocker than you may realize. Many of the hemi cars, a red SS Volare from Cajun Country as well as many of the FWD conversion cars are quite sophisticated. They just have a lot more rules and factory sheetmetal that they have to work around. The more sophisticated the rear suspension is, the less travel the front suspension needs to have.

I can't think of one off hand, but I'm sure a 60' wheelstand would be possible with a low 11 second car if everything is set up for it. One doesn't necessarily need a trans brake, mega-inches, fiberglass, etc. But it does help. Carb, shock and converter tuning are major factors. There is also a risky phase in the fine tuning to get it right without damaging the rear bumper and oil pan/headers.

There are several high end SS cars that are built more like a Pro Stocker than you may realize. Many of the hemi cars, a red SS Volare from Cajun Country as well as many of the FWD conversion cars are quite sophisticated. They just have a lot more rules and factory sheetmetal that they have to work around. The more sophisticated the rear suspension is, the less travel the front suspension needs to have.

I can't think of one off hand, but I'm sure a 60' wheelstand would be possible with a low 11 second car if everything is set up for it. One doesn't necessarily need a trans brake, mega-inches, fiberglass, etc. But it does help. Carb, shock and converter tuning are major factors. There is also a risky phase in the fine tuning to get it right without damaging the rear bumper and oil pan/headers.

I was over at Jim Caughlins shop in Woodburn Oregon the winter of 12-13 and he was changing the back suspension on the Canadians Super Stock Hemi.
Been a race car all it's life.I'm not supposed to say who's it was.

Pretty special and not cheap.He did it to lose weight.

As far as wheel stands go's,you need the suspension right to get it up,but the hp to keep it up and not have it come down hard.
You need to be able to drive out of the wheels up attitude and never let off the throttle or you will be buying a lot of parts.

Mine does not carry the wheels 60 ft. But my problem is it pulls the wheels strait up out of the lights and makes me red light. I have stock leaf springs with home made Caltrak bars. It pulls the wheels about 2-3 ft. high for 35 or more ft. I am a little worried what it is going to do when I put my NOS plate on it.

Mine does not carry the wheels 60 ft. But my problem is it pulls the wheels strait up out of the lights and makes me red light. I have stock leaf springs with home made Caltrak bars. It pulls the wheels about 2-3 ft. high for 35 or more ft. I am a little worried what it is going to do when I put my NOS plate on it.

Do you have any video of your car? I would bet its Not pulling the wheels out of the beams. My car cannot lift the wheels up out of the beams. Super Gas cars can do it but they have big motors,tube chassis, huge tires, leave at 6000 rpm and weigh 2300 lbs. Your average bracket car will no way lift straight up out of the beams before moving forward. Run some video of your car and it will show alot of what is going on. we ran this one on Lisa's.

[ame]http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk[/ame]

Don't argue with him, he's famous on YouTube....

Is that the best you can do. My car speaks for itself and your car ...well it speaks for you which is not very impressive.This thread is called "what would it take to carry the front wheels to the 60' beams" not "Hey dumb ***** tell why its better not to wheelstand even though you never pulled one before in your life" If you have nothing positive to add to this thread then go back to Mopuds and start **** there.:finga:

Is that the best you can do. My car speaks for itself and your car ...well it speaks for you which is not very impressive.This thread is called "what would it take to carry the front wheels to the 60' beams" not "Hey dumb ***** tell why its better not to wheelstand even though you never pulled one before in your life" If you have nothing positive to add to this thread then go back to Mopuds and start **** there.:finga:

Tell me about my car please.

I've seen your ET, quit while you are ahead. We get it, you have a car that can rip the front end off the ground, cool. Seriously it's cool but does everyone of your posts have to scream "look at me I do wheelies!!" ?
I love how quick you are to name call and bash, shows your true character. We do things differently, I'm okay with it. You bracket race and put on a show with a back half big tire car, I grudge and street race a street car and do my best to collect money (que you telling me about your bracket earnings) different strokes for different folks. You get riled up way too easy dude.

There is a Mopar here but the car you need to see is Mike Schmitz Camaro at around 2:50. You get to see the car in slow motion. It is a purpose built race car. It is a strut front, Coil over rear and isn't a tube chassis car. It has a one piece fiberglass front end and deck lid. I think glass doors too. It is a 331 with a clutchless 5 speed. These Supershifters have no electronics and have to leave
the line with a clutch. A few cars have Lenco's. You have to have a serious car to make it close to the 60' lights with the wheels in the air. Mike does it with horsepower, traction, a clutch, and a great transmission. He's in 3rd by the time he's at 60'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmbLO8MdnQ"]Ozark Mountain Super Shifters 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

Mine does not carry the wheels 60 ft. But my problem is it pulls the wheels strait up out of the lights and makes me red light.

I'm guessing you're running a pretty short diameter front tire. Many Super series cars like Steve eluded to use them for reaction time.

Do you have any video of your car? I would bet its Not pulling the wheels out of the beams. My car cannot lift the wheels up out of the beams. Super Gas cars can do it but they have big motors,tube chassis, huge tires, leave at 6000 rpm and weigh 2300 lbs. Your average bracket car will no way lift straight up out of the beams before moving forward. Run some video of your car and it will show alot of what is going on. we ran this one on Lisa's.

http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk

Depending on the chassis setup, my friends low 10 second mustang does it nearly all the time...stock suspension, STOCK 302 shortblock with heads, cam, and a blower on 10 pounds, C4 off a brake, on a 275 radial pro. It looks like a lever when it launches with that setup in it...so I would say it can happen, because I have seen it happen with my own eyes

http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk

Everybody that sees my truck leave says it pulls the wheels straight up when it leaves the line. I do not have video of it.

-
Back