Whats better Manual steering or Power?

Power steering or Manual?

• Power

Votes: 187 43.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 248 57.0%

• Total voters
-
I like manual steering simply because it's so much cleaner when you open the hood. Plus, there's less stuff to worry about as I put her back on the road.

I've driven many 1970s Chryslers over the years. Some with power, some with manual steering. I always liked the feel of my tires on the road with the manual steering. How often do you parallel park?

True but I don't spend that much time on the open road. My manual box works fine but a little assist in town would be a plus. Too bad Mopar power boxes were so loose. The early 60's power boxes were worse than the 70's boxes.
Caster will give you more road feel. I don't know how much caster can be adjusted into the front ends. I seem to need less with my manual box and you need more with your power box. Mike

I too like the manual steering box in my 64 Signet as the weight of the car has something to do with its feel but if I were driving a Semi, I would go for power steering

Figure out what you like and run it.

I have to run it with the original Tuff wheels i have. LOL

Attachments

• demon new 002 (640x427).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 422
with a 4 spd and around town, you gotta give it to the p/s..i mean one arming the wheel into busy parking lots' such can be less than relaxing...

race track-manual

Ever try to countersteer at WOT crossed up broadside while powershifting second in a car with manual steering?

My Dart has power steering and brakes. I agree with earlier poster that it feels squirrely at 70mph, but I enjoy the ease of power since I drive in town mostly. I'd love to test drive a '71 Dart with manual steering, for comparison purposes. I used to have a '60 Belair with manual steering and brakes and still say it was the best feeling ride I ever drove (no offense guys, I love my A-Body), so I voted manual. Wonderful feel at highway speeds and I love the simplicity. Oh, and I hate the sound of a whining power steering pump. Doesn't everybody?

lol.. My thoughts exactly, with a heavy *** big block to boot, manual sucks I switched to power.

I know what you're getting at.
You literally can't correct quick enough as I've found in my 440 69 barracuda.

A mate of mine who has a 10sec 440 68Dart solved this by fitting a close ratio manual box.

For the record,my 440 challenger has a close ratio power steer box (from a TA challenger or AAR cuda - how it ended up in mine I have no idea)and i would have to say it's a dream to drive.Good feel,responsive and light without being too light.

I like the manual feel on the freeway, and dont like the power at all on the freeway. but when I'm trying to park the f-n thing, give me some power steering pls

Just switched to power steering from manual and couldn't be happier. Auto-cross with manual steering is quite difficult, cut about 5-7 seconds off my lap times when I switched to power steering. Going in a straight line puts a big old grin on my face, but going fast through the turns paints a smile on my face. Can't beat it.

Just switched to power steering from manual and couldn't be happier. Auto-cross with manual steering is quite difficult, cut about 5-7 seconds off my lap times when I switched to power steering. Going in a straight line puts a big old grin on my face, but going fast through the turns paints a smile on my face. Can't beat it.

What power steering pump are you using. The Federal round neck ones are notorious for not keeping up with the quick autocross inputs.

Here is what I have seen over the years. If you just drive your car as a normal person there is nothing wrong with power steering except the motor running the system. But If you drive a little crazy at times you will find that if your car gets alittle to far sideways and you go to counter steer while leaving off the accelerator. the power steering will lose pressure and get hard to steer " lock". Go into a parking lot and try to counter steer while leaving off the gas from full throttle to none and you will see what I mean. Manual steering you get a more positive responce and no chance of steering lock when pressure is decreased. So you can stab the throttle on and off and still have the same resistance while steering side to side. Its all about how you drive and how much control you want when getting sideways. Get it out there a little to far and you will see what power steering does for ya.

Hey. I"m in the middle of a build and i want to know what is better to have I have a manual colum and box and a power colum and box, Which one is more like and better to have? The car is a daily driver.
thanks

Things to consider first;
Male or Female owner/driver? ABB likes power, I like manual.
Most common use?, ie; driver, drag, cross country, ralley, drift, tuner killer
Engine size?
Will it be used above 100 mph? (Also can loose power steering above 100)
Tires/wheels used
etc....

Get all your answers lined up and it should head ya in the right direction.:thumblef:

we comparing stock boxes? if so then i like the manual box over that stock power steering box that chryslers came with.. i hear people love the firm feel boxes but i have never tried one.

you can buy the quick ratio worm gear set up right thru MP thinks its 20:1 vs 24:1

Power for the simple reason only have 1 arm , hard to turn the wheel at parking speed without power . Once rolling make no difference .
Firm feel box is in the future , that will make the power steering as good as a modern power steering car , original is a bit loose

If you want the feel of a manual box, but still be able to turn the wheel with one hand talk to Firm Feel. I combined their Stage III box and upper control arms (gets the caster positive) with Ehrinburg's trick of lowering the pump pressure. It literally is a different car to drive and parking is no problem.

Can't wait to try my manual 16:1 ratio flaming river box and full hotchkis front end on my 71 demon...James

They both suck! Its just a lesser of two evils kind of thing.

Power just has no feel at all.

Manual takes a million turns lock to lock.

fast ratio manuals are too hard to turn.

There is other options though. For what its worth I am running the manual box. Happier than with power but still not happy.

My 68 fish has manual and it is plenty easy to steer. No pump, belt, weight, issues. More room for headers. And the steering wheel I currently have is smaller than stock.

Than again I am preformance orientated with da fish.

Also, remember to consider the coupler between the column and the steering box. When I put in the center console column from a PS parts fish I will need the kinda expensive adapter coupler.

-
Back