What's it worth-72 Dart Swinger?

-

kcoyle

Reaction score
I know it a very subjective topic, but.....

http://tinyurl.com/38f9wyp

I just sold my 65 barracuda for a more "family friendly" car. This kinda fits the bill and has what the barracuda lacked (A/C, disk brakes, front shoulder belts, a rear deck for me to install rear shoulder belts to something, 14" wheels)

Is this really worth 5k even to start? Early A's seem to go for little money, how about the middle ones?

thanks
kevin

Funny you posted this since I am thinking about looking at a similar car locally: http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2059013249.html
This is a '73 Scamp with disc brakes, AC, 318, no rust & they are asking $5k also. It seems like a fair enough price but I have not looked at the car yet. The one that you posted looks like it has a little damage & is the slant 6 but still looks pretty clean. Cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. My brothers thought my '65 Barracuda was a piece of junk & laughed when I bought it; I still can't get over what a good deal I got. It is all a matter of opinion. Have you looked at the Dart yet? That will help answer a lot. Just my 2 cents.

Normally I would say that car is no way worth $5,000
However if it is has no rust and everything works like AC, lights, gauges. It might be worth that kind of money to you.

I find when buying a $2,000 cars they need brake work, fuel tank work, electrical work, suspension work, interior work, and body work. All that work starts adding up real fast even if your just buying parts.

So if this is a running no issue car it may be worth the money. A good inspection of all the items listed above would be in order.

You can't go wrong buying a "cream puff"
Body work and paint alone will cost you more than the asking price on both of these cars.
As long as they run and drive as they say and don't need any major mechanical work.

I say yes it is worth that. Think about it what would you have to give for a newer car with that mileage in that condition. It would be a comfortable family car and he has taken care of it well. Just look at the pic of the jack he wrapped a rag around it where it meets the wheel well to prevent damage from the looks. Try to find even a 10 year old car with that comfort and mileage for the same money.

I say no. Not from that seller anyway. Look at their feedback. It slap SUCKS. I make it a cardinal rule not to do business with sellers with under 99.5%. As their feedback amount rises, so does their percentage of negatives. That guy has a LOT of negatives, in my opinion. I wouldn't take a plug nickle from him. If he happens to be a member here, sorry, that's just how I feel.

Nice car, should bring a premium because of the low mileage, but I'd say there are rust problems developing, (bubble under the vinyl top, wheel tub). I'd jump at it say, at $3K, but there's enough wear and tear present that you will be spending some cash for repairs. Maybe look at a car in the $10K to $15K range, you'll be there soon enough.

Run away from that car! There are so many bullshit statements in the description it isn't even funny.

The car has 65776 original miles. (or it did when the odometer broke)
The car was never in any accident. (then whats with the dent and "scratch")
The car has not been driven over 70 miles per hour ever in its entire life. (yeah right)
The car has been garage kept its entire life. Has not been driven in inclement weather ever. (comes complete with the Brooklyn bridge)
The car has very minimal surface rust underneath but nothing major.
The car has had some paint work many years ago on the passenger’s side due to door dings. (not an accident)
The vinyl roof was painted some time ago for some strange reason maybe it was getting dull otherwise the roof is nice no rips some slight bubble on lower passenger side. (not rust)
The current owner slightly scratched the passenger side and I have taken some photos to show light scratch. (another not an accident)

That drivers front fender sure looks like an accident to me.

I would jump at it...how much nicer of a rust free car are you gonna find in New York?

Living in the "Rust Belt" myself, I probably over paid a bit for my Duster, but I feel it's paying off on how clean and rust free my former Colorado car is.

And the Swinger...runs and drives...that cream puff is just crying out to be hot rodded.

As far as Negative Feedback goes...the sellers last 3 complaints come from shipping...so I see that as a non-issue. But personally, I would try and look at the car first to make sure the car is as advertised.

Paul

Nice looking car...as far as the sellers poor feedback, 2 of the 3 were from the same guy. Seems to me that $5 should be the final bid not the start. I'd take a look at it and make him a cash offer. Good Luck...

in my opinion the starting bid is close to maxed out for that car. i think its probably worth closer to 3000-3500 in this economy depending on what it looks like in person and how it actually runs and drives.

Thanks for the input. I thought about it last night and personally wouldn't feel comfortable paying over 4k for the car, but thats me. I find the STARTING bid of 5k kinda ridiculous. Maybe my mindset is still stuck in the 90's but I find most "collector cars" overpriced for what you get and thats what brought me to the early A in he first place. (plus the cool factor)8)

It is hard to find a rust free car out here for a decent price, but for what this guy is asking I'd rather buck up for shipping (if I had the cash):angry7: for an out of state car from this member who did a great job on this car.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=120021

I'll see what happens when the auction ends as I think it will end with zero bids at that price.

Think about it what would you have to give for a newer car with that mileage in that condition. It would be a comfortable family car and he has taken care of it well. Try to find even a 10 year old car with that comfort and mileage for the same money.

Agreed. You can't get much for 4-5k these days. However, (SEROIUS non-Mopar content in link below) I really like this car and its about 10 blocks for my house!

http://www.globalautosports.com/car/1988-Porsche-944-Coupe-32464.html

Theres something about these cars I always liked when i was a kid.

Go look it over... I think if it's rust free and everything works, it's worth it all day long. Compared to a cheaper car that needs a lot more. A car that needs a paint job will reach $5K in no time. I'd have no issues paying that for a car assuming I went to look it over. As far as feedratings.. Read the feedback. One douchebag can lose a point or two pretty quick, especially if you don't sell there for a living.

Aside from all the opinions, here is what the book says, then you can make your own opinion.
#1 car = $12,000
#2 car = $ 8,400
#3 car = $ 5,400
#4 car = $ 2,400
#5 car = $ 1,440
#6 car = $ 480

The car looks to be a #3 for sure. Maybe a #2. You do the math.
Small Block

Aside from all the opinions, here is what the book says, then you can make your own opinion.
#1 car = $12,000
#2 car = $ 8,400
#3 car = $ 5,400
#4 car = $ 2,400
#5 car = $ 1,440
#6 car = $ 480

The car looks to be a #3 for sure. Maybe a #2. You do the math.
Small Block

what book? you have a description of what they consider each condition. there is no way if #1 conditon is perfect that this dart is anywhere near a number 2. its 3 or 4 at best in my opinion

Run away from that car! There are so many bullshit statements in the description it isn't even funny.

The car has 65776 original miles. (or it did when the odometer broke)
The car was never in any accident. (then whats with the dent and "scratch")
The car has not been driven over 70 miles per hour ever in its entire life. (yeah right)
The car has been garage kept its entire life. Has not been driven in inclement weather ever. (comes complete with the Brooklyn bridge)
The car has very minimal surface rust underneath but nothing major.
The car has had some paint work many years ago on the passenger’s side due to door dings. (not an accident)
The vinyl roof was painted some time ago for some strange reason maybe it was getting dull otherwise the roof is nice no rips some slight bubble on lower passenger side. (not rust)
The current owner slightly scratched the passenger side and I have taken some photos to show light scratch. (another not an accident)

That drivers front fender sure looks like an accident to me.

I think you are being WAY too harsh here.

Original miles: perfectly believable. My own grandfather, who died at 100 back in 2000, had a 73 4 door Dart with just about that amount of miles, maybe less. One of my cousins is still driving it

the accident---looks like the front piece was all that was damaged, and that had to be a VERY minor hit. Hell, I could've done that with a fully loaded grocery cart, a few years ago

Not over 70? The age of the driver? Perfectly believable

Looking at the paint, interior, and dash, I'd say "garaged" is absolutely true

Seems to me he provided accurate, closeup pictures that do NOT hide the faults of the car

So far is worth? Who knows. We'll know when the auction ends

Joe, "Old Cars Report Price Guide"
#1 Excellant
#2 Fine, Well restored, excellant original
#3 Very good, Completely operational, older restoration showing wear,. 20 footer
#4 Good, Driveable car needing minor work
#5 Restorable, Needs complete restoration, may or may not be running
#6 Parts car.
Good information here. You can get a subscription here at 386-246-3435
Dont take my word for it. Look for yourself.
Small Block

-
Back