What's it Worth?

-

TopBanana

A-Body Fanatic!
Reaction score
I know this questions get posted quite a bit but I have an interesting one here...

The good:
69 Barracuda Formula S, BH29H9B 383, 4 spd (supposedly matching #s), complete driveline including what appears to be factory manifolds.

The bad and ugly:
fender tag possibly missing (he may have removed it), needs floors, rockers, trunk condition is unknown, nasty patch around drivers side t-bar mount, rotted and poorly fixed (w/ a 3/8" steel plate) drivers side rear frame @ in front of spring mount, both rear frame sections look so-so or a little better.

I've never replaced frame sections like that but I'm sure it's do-able.

The guy is asking $8900 and it's been sitting on his lot a LOOOONG time. Do you think this thing is worth what he's asking? or something closer to ~$5K? Any thoughts? I'm know that since this is a factory big block 4 speed A-body it's worth saving, but with the underside THAT rough, is it worth anywhere near $8900?

Frame t-bar.jpg

Frame rear.jpg

I wouldn't pay that much for it.

I agree. Especially without the fender tag. It's about worth the sum of it parts. Makes sense, because the body is toast. But someone will probably get suckered into buying it for more.

It probably would be cheaper to buy a restored with data tag 69 383 4spd for $35K or so. This car would need $15-20K of body and paint at least to do it right.

I don't know if the fender tag is gone or inside with the dealer...I haven't talked to him about it yet.

Here are some more pics...

It needs quarter patches too but they aren't really too bad. No evidence of mud or previous repair.

69Cuda LF.jpg

69Cuda F.jpg

69Cuda RF.jpg

69Cuda RR.jpg

69Cuda R.jpg

No way it's worth $8900 in the condition that it is in. If the seller is lucky, about half that. The market is down right now.

It's not worth near what he's asking, even with the fender tag. You're looking at alot of money to put it back together. Even if you did most of the work yourself. My .02

I don't know if the fender tag is gone or inside with the dealer...I haven't talked to him about it yet.

Here are some more pics...

It needs quarter patches too but they aren't really too bad. No evidence of mud or previous repair.

Looks like it needs full rockers and at least lower front fenders. I bet after you strip that car there's more than quarter patches.

It's probably worth $5k-$8K. But i'd let someone else loose there butts, money, and tons of time on that project.

August 2008 Old Cars price guide

69 Barracuda

2 door fastback
# 6 condition $1,120
# 5 condition $3,360
# 4 condition $5,600
# 3 condition $12,600
# 2 condition $19,600
# 1 condition $28,000

NOTE: add 40% for Formula S 383 cid option. Add 50% for 440 Barracuda

this is from my latest book that came this weekend

My estimate is the car is a #5 so $3,360 + 40% = $4,704.00

Now how many 69 Formula "S" 383 4 speed cars are there, and how often do they come up for sale. What would it be worth fixed? $28,000 + 40% = $39,200.

So what would it cost to restore it? How much work could you do yourself? and how many parts are available?

My guess it would cost 25~30K min to restore to #1 condition and it is bought for $8,900 it might be a break even if the market stays somewhat close to the same.

It would be a desireable car restored, color would detract some, but a 383 4 would bring good money to the right person

I drove a beautiful White 69 Boss 429 with 20,700 miles across the auction block on Friday and it was not sold at $180,000. On Saturday a Black 69 429 Boss went for $285,000. Could it have been the time of day it crossed the block? could it have been the quality? (doubt it the white one was as good as new) could it have been the color? Probably

I personally would not spend $8,900 for that car, if I were to put that much into it I would buy one already done.

Do you love the car? spend the money if you have it and can spend $35,000 on it.

I would say no more than $5,000 on it if I were buying.

Hope this helps

It also has the wrong hood, 69 had no chrome louvers.

I'm not so sure that isn't a factory hood

the 69 is the only A body Baraacuda with the pointed center on the hood. This has the raised center in the front. I have seen a lot of 69 Barracuda with the snorkel Dart Sport from the mid 70's, same hood

not a expert on 69, but it is my least favorite of the 67~69 because of the pointed hood/grill

69FormulaS.jpg

I'm not so sure that isn't a factory hood

the 69 is the only A body Baraacuda with the pointed center on the hood. This has the raised center in the front. I have seen a lot of 69 Barracuda with the snorkel Dart Sport from the mid 70's, same hood

not a expert on 69, but it is my least favorite of the 67~69 because of the pointed hood/grill

It's a 68 hood with the pointed center bondo'd in. There was never a 69 Barracuda hood with the 67-68 only insert.

I have a 68 nosecone that is bondo'd up to match a 69 hood.

The 68 and 69's go for more money than the 67's. 68 and 69 are pretty close in desirablity and value to the general market.

Its too far gone for $8900. looks like he pulled it off the ground. Best to let someone else get it, if you dont want a fortune in time & money tied up in a fendertag-less car!

I think this car was on e-bay over a year ago.... how long has the seller had the car for?

-
Back