What's my 340 worth??

-

Competition

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did some searching and I can't really come up with a solid answer. I'm interested in selling my drivetrain. It's a 1969 340 out of my 1969 Formula S Barracuda. As far as I know the crank and rods are factory, the pistons are .030 over, has X heads on it, a mopar "Purple Camshaft" with a brand new Edelbrock Air Gap intake and brand new Holley 650 street avenger carb, MSD pro billet distributor, MSD wires, MSD blaster coil, chrome alternator, flex fan. The car was originally a 4 speed, but now has a built 727, reverse manual valve body, Derale 2qt extra deep pan, and a 10" 2800 rpm converter. Any idea what these would be worth, together or separate? Engine and trans are both still in car, and I'd like to leave them in until sold, so a potential buyer can hear/see it run to verify it doesn't burn any oil, and that it holds perfect oil pressure (around 50 at idle warm) Thanks for any help!

10653670_10202721636068628_4202367719637757901_n.jpg

If its the numbers matching block for your car sell everything off it but not the block itself, your car is worth more with the original engine.

What it's "worth " and what someone will pay can be way different . Once it's used with no warranty I would not pay over 1,200.00 , and that's after seeing it run .
Best to sell the parts and keep the block in case one day you want to sell the car and get the bestest price for it , matching block will up the number .

Really nice car !

A greasy 340/727 out of the car with no idea of whether it runs, no idea of mileage, and no clue as to what's inside will sell for $2,000-$2,500 down here, so you should be good for much more than that

Just curious on why you are selling it.
It sounds like a good combo for your car as is.
My guess would be 3 grand for everything tops, that's if is as good as you say and it looks.

Sounds like your getting advice from buyers, lol
I just sold my 340 last summer. It wasn't nearly as clean as yours and imo it was in need of a freshening up. it was connected to a 727 with a new 3200 converter.
I listed motor and trans for $3500.CAN
For 2 weeks I pissed around with lowballers, one guy tried saying he can get 340's for like $500. I told him let me know where cause I will buy them all.
2 weeks after listing I got a call from a guy up north. Sent him a quick video of the motor running, then he sent me a cert. cheque for asking price $3500

If your motor is in good running order I would think starting at $4500 wouldn't be out of range. Really there is no set value for a running 340, its whatever the buyer is willing to pay. I sold a bare 340 block last winter for $600 and the guy was thrilled. That engine went to the guy that owns those air planes on the TV show "Ice Pilots". He says they have all kinds of cars there but no parts to build them. I guess my point is, you can sell it cheap to your neighbour, or you can get what its really worth from someone who appreciated what you have.

Good luck with your sale !

Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to start around 3500 for both, and see where it goes, so it looks like I was close. I'm not really interested in parting it out. It's an original Formula S car, but the original trans is gone (obviously) and it's painted a different color, and the interior has been swapped out for black, and a few other little things. It's not really worth me keeping numbers matching anymore IMO. Just want to build something a little faster for it.

Ain't NO way I'd ever sell the # matching motor separate from the car....JMO :)

It's worth more in the car. That's what its worth. Like others have said. Keep just the block even. What's the point in selling? You want to put a different engine in and want to put the money from the sale towards it? Whatever it is. Whatever you get for that engine is at least 1/3 what you'd get with it in the car if you ever sell the car.

He's changing it for another LS swap...... What a little birdie told me anyway. Engine compartment is already painted the right color for chevy engine.

You could just sell the entire car and start over. Then you could buy something else a little closer to what you want. Non matching car could cost you a lot less.

He's changing it for another LS swap...... What a little birdie told me anyway. Engine compartment is already painted the right color for chevy engine.

BLASPHEMI!!!!

Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

Sorry, but it is true.

If it was me, and given it's a real Formula S - stick the driveline in the garage and forget you own it. When you're tired of it, having that engine, even if it's not in the car or has run in decades - will make thousands of dollars of difference. It's not like a GM product in theat regard. mopars are ultra rare compared to any Chevy that doesn't have COPO in front of it. so you really, really REALLY want to keep it with the car, even if you go LS or Coyote.

So. . . does that make it a Chevmouth or a Plymrolet?

What about just building the stroking using the existing 340 block.

But the remaining unused parts would not equal half of selling the motor complete. And a 360 core block is only $200 or so.

Whatever you sell it for is not as much as the value your car will lose after you put a different engine in it. I am guessing you will devalue the car by about 10k.

IMO you do not want to lose the original engine. I would either re-restore it to its 4 speed Formula S magnificence or sell it and start over.

If its the numbers matching block for your car sell everything off it but not the block itself, your car is worth more with the original engine.
Non-numbers matching absolutely kills the car's value, so if it is matching numbers, do this. Now the motor having the proper numbers on it's rare even in a 340 car with 340, even one with Xes.

Whatever you sell it for is not as much as the value your car will lose after you put a different engine in it. I am guessing you will devalue the car by about 10k.
That's the bottom line I think.

Your car's original engine will never be worth to someone else, what it will be worth to you when you realize you made a big mistake.

-
Back