What's this Barracuda worth???

-

Teeth & Tires

A-retentive
Legendary Member
Reaction score
First off, hello to all. Community forums make the internet worthwhile.

I'm looking at a 69 Fastback being sold privately and my CFO (wife) insists I be able to get out of it whatever I put in to it. To that end, I'd like to get a consensus from people who would know or possibly even be willing to buy such a car as to what it is realistically worth. I plan to keep the car for a few years....preferably let it turn 50 and then sell. So..assuming I get it all cleaned up and running well (not a frame-off resto or anything) what do y'all think this realistically sell for?

Here's the details:
1969 Fastback, Torch Red w/white stripe and red/white interior.
White slickback vinyl roof.
Factory 318, 3-speed auto, column shift.
10" drums all around.
Factory air
Factory cruise
Electric washer pump
Folding rear seat
140,000ish miles
One-owner Arizona car (owner passed about 6years ago - car in storage since)
No rust anywhere, good clean glass.

The bad:
Car started off T-red, then got painted white, then back to T-red so the color is correct now but not original paint.
Right rear quarter panel was replaced. Pretty decent job but not perfect.

I'll be getting everything cleaned, buffed, polished as needed and some interior work will need done like the carpet and dash pad. Engine isn't running but nothing's broken or bent - just been sitting too long.

Assuming cleaned up and running reliably - real market value? Thanks in advance. Hopefully, I can land this fish and become a reg member here and chronicle the progress on what would be my 2nd '69.

-TNT

assuming the paint is still pretty nice and its cleaned up well and runs and drives well. 4-6k it will all depend on condition of trim, grill,lights and interior. almost all of these cars that are for sale these days need one thing or another but a good running driver is the biggest selling point.

dont ever expect to get back what you have in it. its not going to happen unless you find that one guy, you should be doing it for the love and not any re-sale value. you cant do a "frame off" any way because these are uni-bodies. without pics of the actual car and what its true condition is , theres no telling. a pic of the fender tag and a VIN number would tell the true story of what it really is. my shot in the dark without any thing to go on or just how crappy the quarter panel may be i would say 5-7 K after its running and driving

The trim is excellent and none missing. Even the chrome around the wheel wells is there. Biggest thing for me was that the trim around the vinyl roof is all clean as I know that is a rare option.
I guess I was hoping that the list of options would help plus it up a bit.

It's impractical to give great detail on condition as its condition will be different by the time I'm ready to let it go. "Frame off" was just an expression, btw.

Thanks for taking the time, guys. More??

I have never seen or even seen an option for "Factory cruise" on a 1969 Barracuda.

Without some very detailed pictures I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an estimate. Take a damaged grille on that car and it would bring down the value since they are hard to come by and cost a small fortune when you do.

You might be better off saying what you can get the car for and them pehaps more people will chime in with opinions. Also pictures would go a LONG way!

I have never seen or even seen an option for "Factory cruise" on a 1969 Barracuda.

Without some very detailed pictures I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an estimate. Take a damaged grille on that car and it would bring down the value since they are hard to come by and cost a small fortune when you do.

kind of my point without a pic of the fender tag. it could be a 6 cylinder 3 speed car for all we know. it could have a host of things that were later added on especially if its been wrecked, fixed and re-painted

What I can get it for may hinge on this thread.

I also had never heard of factory cruise on that car. Dealer equipment, possibly? But then, I had never heard of the vinyl roof on a fastback, either but it's legit.

Another note about condition: the owner had the pipes cut and made into a dual exhaust setup. I would redo that back to proper single exit exhaust.

I would certainly enjoy the ownership of it... Were this a 69 Mustang, I wouldn't even have looked at it. I'm nostalgic for the 2nd gen cudas. But I don't want to take too much of a financial hit in my retired arse. This is homework and it must be done!

Some things I can take on faith. I know the owner. I'm the one who said factory cruise, not him. That's what it looks like to me. If I can get back over there, I'll try for a pic of that tag. Thanks for the suggestion.

The grille inserts are very nice; one of the first things I looked at. And they aren't blacked out as often happens.

You really need to post pictures of the exterior, interior, under hood and fender tag to get a half decent estimate in my opinion.

What I can get it for may hinge on this thread.

I also had never heard of factory cruise on that car. Dealer equipment, possibly? But then, I had never heard of the vinyl roof on a fastback, either but it's legit.

Another note about condition: the owner had the pipes cut and made into a dual exhaust setup. I would redo that back to proper single exit exhaust.

I would certainly enjoy the ownership of it... Were this a 69 Mustang, I wouldn't even have looked at it. I'm nostalgic for the 2nd gen cudas. But I don't want to take too much of a financial hit in my retired arse. This is homework and it must be done!

If you will ever be able to recover your full investment on collector cars you will be one of the very very few that has been able to. I have over $1500.00 just in soft parts for the interior for my 1968 Barrcauda convertible and my dash pad is perfect plus I am doing all the labor myself. Buy it because you want it and enjoy it because everything isn't about the bottom line.

You really need to post pictures of the exterior, interior, under hood and fender tag to get a half decent estimate in my opinion.

Yes, I will try to get the fender tag this weekend but condition, as I said, is irrelevant because things like sun-cracked dash pad will be replaced, etc.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking what it's worth right now, but what it's potential value is. I can repair and detail everything under the hood but I can't undo that rear qtr panel and probably won't repaint it. (If that helps)

Oh, and both bumpers are perfectly straight and not pitted.

Without pics, I'll say $4800~$5500. You'd be surprised how quickly all the little things you replace add up, getting you waist-deep in a car! And that can even be if you do everything yourself. And on the one hand, originality is cool but IMO, there ain't a huge line of big spenders waiting to buy a 318 2-barrel 'Cuda for big money.

*Edited to add: Okay, you wanna know what it'll be worth done.....I'll say $10K~$12K.

Yes, I will try to get the fender tag this weekend but condition, as I said, is irrelevant because things like sun-cracked dash pad will be replaced, etc.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking what it's worth right now, but what it's potential value is. I can repair and detail everything under the hood but I can't undo that rear qtr panel and probably won't repaint it. (If that helps)

Oh, and both bumpers are perfectly straight and not pitted.

If the quarter panel is that bad it could seriously drop the value of the car. Pictures of the car from all angles, inside the trunk including the spare well, frame rails, floor pans, under the hood, full pictures of all the interior plus the fender tag would allow members to give you a fair opinion of the value.

I bought a 1968 Barracuda that was restored but I didn't do my homework so I figured out while I had a really nice car it was totally wrong. Now I have doubled the purchase price just getting things back correct. One picture is worth a 1000 words.

and you'll probably have at the very least 20k wrapped in it when alls said and done

Bingo!!! It adds up super fast when everything on these cars are quite expensive to buy. Unluckily there is no four door versions to be had for parts donors so if you have to pay the piper.

Without pics, I'll say $4800~$5500. You'd be surprised how quickly all the little things you replace add up, getting you waist-deep in a car! And that can even be if you do everything yourself. And on the one hand, originality is cool but IMO, there ain't a huge line of big spenders waiting to buy a 318 2-barrel 'Cuda for big money.

*Edited to add: Okay, you wanna know what it'll be worth done.....I'll say $10K~$12K.

I watch these sell all the time since I own five of them and there are very few 318 Auto cars bringing anywhere near that kind of money. I have watched some really really nice ones sell in the $7K to $9K area in this economy. A few years ago they were bringing better money but there are too many nice cars that are having to be sold to put groceries on the table and to pay the mortage so the price has dropped.

I would look around for a 340 car if possible for around the same price. Then you will be more likely to get closer to what you put into it back. Six cylinder cars and 318 cars just haven't increased in value that much yet. The car you are describing sounds like at best a $5000.00 buy. The reasons for that are the non-running probably non-rebuilt motor and poor 1/4 panel surgery. Both are costly to fix right. Watch eBay and Craigslist and this forum for better buys in my opinion. Good luck with your search! Any 68 Hemi a-bodies I would avoid and just send me their contact info. I would be more than willing to handle those hassles for you! Thanks!

pics or it didnt happen Bill LOL j/k

Ask Cliff. This is the a body collection I have now.

Five Barracudas, Three 1967s, one 1968 and one 1969. It was cheaper to buy cars than it was to buy the parts back when I started messing with them.

Four Darts, One 1968, two 1969s and one 1975.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought as close to a perfect Barracuda convertible as I could find that had all the right parts and was never wrecked. I did good execpt the wrong year parts. Right now I have about double in the convertible compared to where the real market is today.

Ask Cliff. Three 1967s, one 1968 and one 1969. It was cheaper to buy cars than it was to buy the parts back when I started messing with them.
thats the way to do it. at one point i had 3 70 coronet 4 door parts cars for my Bee and our ragtop because it was so much cheaper to buy whole cars

thats the way to do it. at one point i had 3 70 coronet 4 door parts cars for my Bee and our ragtop because it was so much cheaper to buy whole cars

Yes and do I wish there was a four door donor car for the Barracuda because things would be easier to find and cheaper too.

Looking for another Cuda is out of the question. I'm not on a quest but, rather, have had this opportunity presented and wish to go about it correctly.

I have been under the car and, while filthy, it is still solid as is the trunk floor.

I am pretty sure that motor has not been rebuilt. The present owner (the grandson) claims he drove it to work 2-3 times about 2 1/2 years ago but then simply would not start. Jumper cables didn't make it happen, either. I'm thinking fuel or spark.

At present, simply trying to gather as many opinions as possible prior to the weekend which would be the next time I can meet with him.

-
Back