What's this Barracuda worth???

-
So much negativity!! Sheesh. Car will be enjoyed or I wouldn't be asking about it. I don't care about a Chevelle SS but that car would be a far more worthy investment. Being a cuda is why I'm interested at all.

I'm not looking at this purely from the dollar in/out perspective. What it is potentially worth after a cursory fixin' up is, however, part of the total equation and keeps me from paying too much As stated previously, I am doing my homework. Whether I buy this guys car or don't is purely my decision and I shall make it an informed one.

So much negativity!! Sheesh. Car will be enjoyed or I wouldn't be asking about it. I don't care about a Chevelle SS but that car would be a far more worthy investment. Being a cuda is why I'm interested at all.

I'm not looking at this purely from the dollar in/out perspective. What it is potentially worth after a cursory fixin' up is, however, part of the total equation and keeps me from paying too much As stated previously, I am doing my homework. Whether I buy this guys car or don't is purely my decision and I shall make it an informed one.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173166&highlight=restore

"You will get the negativity and also support"!!!!!

The link above is one I posted about a year ago when considering a restoration of sorts on a 69 383 Formula S Fastback I have owned since 1984 (one of 272 built).

Honestly it makes you think hard before you go full steam into a project like this. I decided to take it on, fully knowing that the money invested is for our future pleasure in driving this Barracuda again and will most likely never recoup the cost of doing so. To my benefit the Wife "is" and has been onboard with this project from day one. We are nearly a year in and still do not have the body back from the shop I sent her to. 3K so far into blasting, epoxy primer, new quarters and trunk extensions (Thanks to AMD releasing them this past year). I expect the bill to come in around 12k after paint. I have redone the entire suspension, Motor, trans and axle with all new parts, blasting and paint. I have recovered the seats, "after locating some cores because the ones in the car were 67 models. Refinished and restored the dash, steering column, console and heater box. Working on the grills and other exterior pieces now and that is a challenge in itself. I have purchased most all of the items that will be required but some small odds and ends. 5k in these items and probably another 3K before it is over. Nearly a year of weekends thus far "when time allows". Not to mention all the time you spend researching and locating the correct items you need at the best prices. Every time you think you have it all, another part all of the sudden does not look as good as you thought and then more $$$$. You have to work the sales and promotions to save some cash. My original purchase price was $600.00 in 1984 so at least that was reasonable. However if I add up all the storage costs I have paid since 1990 I will be into this car for over 30k!!!!!!! You just do not see them getting this kinda $$ everday.

So, If you choose to buy and take on your project, do it for the right reasons and expectations and don't get discouraged from other's that do not share your Dream! Be prepared for it to take along time to complete before the driving starts.... The cars value is what you see it as!

Well, in your very first post you plainly stated that your wife "insists" that whatever you put "in" to the car, you are able to get "out". Then you go on to say that you would enjoy it with the intention of selling it in 5 years!!

My whole point is that taking those parameters into consideration, it is a losing proposition from the start!! Hey, I have a wife, and if I let her dictate what happens out in the garage, I might as well sell everything I have and sit on the couch feeding her BonBons, that is, after a long day of work making enough money to allow her to stay at home and eat said BobBons!! AND, I built a car for my wife, which she loves but never drives for__________________ insert reason here!!

I am by no means trying to be negative, and was only trying to help by citing an example of a car similar to yours with desirable features and the cost to buy that car!!

My bottom line is this... you need to be able to be into a car for the long run, and without support for your love of cars (you do love them, right? or you wouldn't be considering this purchase) you are looking at an uphill battle, and may end up losing interest and selling the car unfinished at a loss!!

When asked about how much my fleet is worth, I always tell the questionaire that they are free to me!! I don't even care how much I spend on them, that money is gone and I still have the car!! I'm currently spending over $1000 on the dash refinish alone for Nellas 67 Cuda. Not even batting an eye and can't wait to make the final payment for my bezels ($750 alone). Will I ever recoup that??? Not a chance, but I could care less, I'm going to be spending a lot of time staring at it through the coming years!!!

Again, good luck getting the car, I hope you do and join the ranks of 67-9 Cuda ownership here!! Geof

The "so much negativity / sheesh" was said in jest. Sometimes you don't come across right in print but so you know, my panties aren't in a wad and I don't mean to sound defensive.

That said, some of you are over-thinking this, making assumptions, and answering questions that weren't asked and I think it's confusing the issue a bit.

I won't put 20k into it. That's not the goal. From where i sit, most of what this car needs is know-how and elbow grease which is free along with some gaskets which are cheap. Yes, there are some parts needing replaced, nothing big-budget.

If I were to do a full resto...of course it would cost way more than the car is or would be worth. That's not the goal. Make it presentable (more so than a Saturday afternoon bath) and make it run well. That won't cost 20k. The current owner is neither interested in nor capable of doing these things and he is paying a monthly storage fee on it. To him, it's baggage.

I'll let you all know how it went. We meet in 20 minutes. :D

Found a problem...

cudasale1_zps5492842f.jpg

This body has sustained far more damage than originally reported, it seems.

Either the 69'er was bondo'd to fit earlier grilles or an earlier header panel got a nose-job. This just keeps getting worse. The 'story' started off as a rust-free Arizona car with maybe a few bumps and bruises. :cry:

Either the 69'er was bondo'd to fit earlier grilles or an earlier header panel got a nose-job. This just keeps getting worse. The 'story' started off as a rust-free Arizona car with maybe a few bumps and bruises. :cry:

As good as those grilles fit, I would think the 68 header got the nose job.

Are all the marker lights rectangular or is there some rounds ones in the mix? Any pictures of the hood? Did you take any other pictures of the car?

People are going off what you are saying. with out pictures no one has a clue. Take detail pictures and you will get a better response.So far the picture you took the car is wrong. I'm sure with more pictures it will show more wrong things. Mark
The "so much negativity / sheesh" was said in jest. Sometimes you don't come across right in print but so you know, my panties aren't in a wad and I don't mean to sound defensive.

That said, some of you are over-thinking this, making assumptions, and answering questions that weren't asked and I think it's confusing the issue a bit.

I won't put 20k into it. That's not the goal. From where i sit, most of what this car needs is know-how and elbow grease which is free along with some gaskets which are cheap. Yes, there are some parts needing replaced, nothing big-budget.

If I were to do a full resto...of course it would cost way more than the car is or would be worth. That's not the goal. Make it presentable (more so than a Saturday afternoon bath) and make it run well. That won't cost 20k. The current owner is neither interested in nor capable of doing these things and he is paying a monthly storage fee on it. To him, it's baggage.

I'll let you all know how it went. We meet in 20 minutes. :D

For the most part the majority has asked for pics to determine a value....so far the only pic is a mis-matched header panel and grills. This is the reason we ask for pics. If you are asking for advice on value, more pics will be needed, as well as a pic of the fender tag. Not trying to sound sarcastic here, but there is a reason pics are always asked for. You wouldnt believe how many "whats it worth" threads get started and there are no pics.....

For the most part the majority has asked for pics to determine a value....so far the only pic is a mis-matched header panel and grills. This is the reason we ask for pics. If you are asking for advice on value, more pics will be needed, as well as a pic of the fender tag. Not trying to sound sarcastic here, but there is a reason pics are always asked for. You wouldnt believe how many "whats it worth" threads get started and there are no pics.....

... and every one of those threads all come down to the same subjective car buying principle: It's only worth what someone will ultimately pay for it.

... and every one of those threads all come down to the same subjective car buying principle: It's only worth what someone will ultimately pay for it.

Of course, but the reason someone (me) posted about this car here is the assumption that you folks would have seen the greatest number of sales of this particular model and could, based on that experience, give a general idea of what I could expect to recoup. Key word being, "general". I'm not looking for an exact dollar value that I can legally hold the forum members to. All I was hoping for (and frankly have already gotten) is the "big picture" so thanks to all for that.

If I post up detailed pics, it will be in a build thread after I take possession. I did snap a shot of the fender tag. I'll get that uploaded as soon as I can though I don't really expect any grand revelations from it. :thumrigh:

Well, in your very first post you plainly stated that your wife "insists" that whatever you put "in" to the car, you are able to get "out". Then you go on to say that you would enjoy it with the intention of selling it in 5 years!!

My whole point is that taking those parameters into consideration, it is a losing proposition from the start!!

<snip> I'm currently spending over $1000 on the dash refinish alone for Nellas 67 Cuda. Not even batting an eye and can't wait to make the final payment for my bezels ($750 alone). Will I ever recoup that??? Not a chance, but I could care less, I'm going to be spending a lot of time staring at it through the coming years!!!

Again, good luck getting the car, I hope you do and join the ranks of 67-9 Cuda ownership here!! Geof

New Bezels are about $450, well now $495... I have seen 67's also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-69-Cud...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5652ac072d&vxp=mtr

Okla: I would have to 'find' grilles. No way I'm spending 1400 but I like the idea of recouping coin for the grilles that are on it. Already seen a few header panels so I agree with you there.

Paint alone for a replacement panels gonna set me back another 250-300.

Agreed, beauty(price) is in the eye of the beholder.
3 pages long and only 1 pic of a mismatched grille area. Trust me I love the cudas(Dad owns 1 and I own 1), but an accurate price/value isnt going to happen with one pic. Is there a vin#? What is the 5th and 6th digits? Fendertag?? What options did it come with?? An orig /6 car isnt going to garner as much $$ as a 383 or 440 cuda obviously. If you phoned the insurance company and provided them with 1 pic, they wouldnt insure it would they??

Agreed, beauty(price) is in the eye of the beholder.
3 pages long and only 1 pic of a mismatched grille area. Trust me I love the cudas(Dad owns 1 and I own 1), but an accurate price/value isnt going to happen with one pic. Is there a vin#? What is the 5th and 6th digits? Fendertag?? What options did it come with?? An orig /6 car isnt going to garner as much $$ as a 383 or 440 cuda obviously. If you phoned the insurance company and provided them with 1 pic, they wouldnt insure it would they??
he says its a 318 car. ive asked for a 6th digit to tell whether its actually 68 or 69 , and the one pic is all but worthless. he doesnt want to disclose what the seller wants for it either. i give up....

he says its a 318 car. ive asked for a 6th digit to tell whether its a 68 or 69 , and the one pic is all but worthless. he doesnt want to disclose what the seller wants for it either. i give up....

Thanks Lance, I wasnt reading thru 3 pages(again) to see what it was...318 now, but maybe its a 340 car?? 383?? 440!!
Im giving up too

I can understand the op not wanting to give up too much information because it could clue someone in as to where the car is and it could be bought out from under him. When I am on a deal I never tip my hand either. I will stick around because the 67 to 69 Barracudas are my niche. I enjoy seeing new ones come out and helping where I can.

I dont mind helping either Okla and if I have a niche its the 2nd gen cudas as well. Taking a pic of the fendertag(if there is one) and blocking out the vin part shouldnt be that hard? Hope he gets it either way. Maybe its my own curiousity/anticipation driving me nuts!!

I can understand the op not wanting to give up too much information because it could clue someone in as to where the car is and it could be bought out from under him. When I am on a deal I never tip my hand either. I will stick around because the 67 to 69 Barracudas are my niche. I enjoy seeing new ones come out and helping where I can.
i agree. but nobody is asking where the car is. i asked what they wanted for it in order to give us something to go on other than the one picture. a couple numbers of the VIN isnt going to hurt anything either. we are trying to help the guy not take his car :D

-
Back