What's this Barracuda worth???

-
we are trying to help the guy not take his car :D

I know we aren't trying to take his car but we don't know who is following this thread that may be in his area and waiting for the right clue. I can say this because I have had it happen and boy did it piss me off. I learned my lesson so I don't say anything until I have my paws on the title and the vehicle in my possession.

You want advice but you're not giving enough information to form any kind of opinion. Take lots of pics and make sure get the vin, fender tag, underhood, interior, trunk, frame, floors, etc.

You guys just need to relax...or read the whole thread because I'm about to explain, for the third time, why I posted here.

But first, and at the risk of sounding combative (which I don't mean to) please look at the contradictions in this thread:

On the one hand, you guys want specifics so you can generate an opinion of the car's specific tangible value.

On the other hand, you tell me (which I already know) the car is "only worth what someone will pay for it" or "all that matters is what it's worth to you".

These two concepts are mutually exclusive to one another. Or rephrased: No matter how much data I provide, you cannot tell me what this car is worth to me.

Now, since I'm not beating my chest and sending people PMs demanding answers when they don't reply to my questions within 3 minutes, perhaps I'm not the one who's generating the problem.

As of this posting (actually, as of about two days ago) I am no longer seeking any guidance on the monetary value or potential monetary value of the car I'm looking at. That has already been satisfactorily sorted out due almost entirely to the responses received in this thread. Even without the added details, photos, and specifics that are now being summoned. Many many thanks to those of you who made that happen!!

This thread will now continue simply as a, "so how does this story end", so that if I do buy it, we can segue into the cleanup process and if I don't buy it...great outlet to help a buddy get his car sold. I think that's fair.

Now allow me to answer some of YOUR questions......

I wasn't actually trying to keep anyone from swiping the car out from under me but Okla makes a good point...other people may be reading this after a simple google search. You just never know. What I really needed was a valuation of a hypothetical (i.e., this model of car after cleaning up) therefore giving specific details doesn't support the intent.

It is an original 318 car, verified by VIN. I posted that near the bottom of page 3.

It is a 1969 model year. I already knew it and yes, the VIN supports it as well.

Is the nose a 69 panel with 68 grilles or a 68 panel with a bondo nose? Who cares? That nose has to be made right because it clearly isn't.

Now for the good news!!! I took two pictures while I was there. The nose and the fender tag. Now that I'm home, I can post the tag. If you guys can read it, that's cool. I don't expect any big surprises, though. I will bet my life and my dog's life, too, that this did not start out as a 1 of 13, 440 6-pack with A/C and Navi. I do expect to see white interior, air, stripes (maybe), and the vinyl roof.

cudatag_zps28b9f873.jpg

Okay so what do the hieroglyphs tell you?

BH29:
Plymouth Barracuda
High
2 Door Sports Hardtop
F9B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
263357: Sequence number
E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
R6: Red (Dodge), Scorch Red (Plymouth), Crimson (Chrysler) Exterior Color
H6V: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, White/Red
R6: Red (Dodge), Scorch Red (Plymouth), Crimson (Chrysler) Int. Door Frames
121: Build Date: January 21
155560: Order number
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
C55: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
N78: Performance Gauge
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
V6W: Longitudinal Stripes, White
END: End of Sales Codes

you got your stripe , white / red interior and A/C

Yup, no surprises. Curious: no mention of the pass side mirror? This car has it, my blue 69 did not.

And (LOL) no mention of a hybrid 68/69 nose panel?

BH29:
Plymouth Barracuda
High
2 Door Sports Hardtop
F9B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
263357: Sequence number
E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
R6: Red (Dodge), Scorch Red (Plymouth), Crimson (Chrysler) Exterior Color
H6V: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, White/Red
R6: Red (Dodge), Scorch Red (Plymouth), Crimson (Chrysler) Int. Door Frames
121: Build Date: January 21
155560: Order number
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
C55: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
N78: Performance Gauge
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
V6W: Longitudinal Stripes, White
END: End of Sales Codes

you got your stripe , white / red interior and A/C

That is a pretty good list of options.

That is a pretty good list of options.

Yes and so I did list the things that I thought would matter in my initial post....that being the factory air and the vinyl top. Wish I knew how many of those vinyl roofs were turned out. It was only offered in 69 (that I know of).

Another thing...My blue 69 had a 6x9 cutout in the hatch on the pass side only. This car has 'em on both sides.

At the risk of sounding combative(which Im not), you asked what YOU could sell the car for after a "little cleanup". That is a quote from your very 1st post. And the title you posted is "whats this barracuda worth??" you didnt ask "whats this barracuda worth to me??".
I would think your header panel is a 69 with 68 grilles. If you buy the car, I would sell the grills and buy repop 69 grille pieces.
Nice list of options, as Okla said.

You are correct, I did not ask what's it worth to me...that was from another poster...which was my whole point. I merely asked for an estimated value based on the information I provided.

So...had I said it's an original hemi car and you told me it's worth 50 large and I later discover it's a 225-6 with a Toro lawn tractor in it currently and not running...do you think I would still expect to get 50k for it? Or that I would sue you for misinforming me?

Sir, with all due respect....the horse is dead. Let's move forward.

And on that note: Where I'm at is simply trying to determine if hunting down a proper nose panel and matching grilles is something I want to get tied up with AND knowing what a hassle it's gonna be...what would I offer for the vehicle? My dilemma.

You guys just need to relax...or read the whole thread because I'm about to explain, for the third time, why I posted here.

But first, and at the risk of sounding combative (which I don't mean to) please look at the contradictions in this thread:

On the one hand, you guys want specifics so you can generate an opinion of the car's specific tangible value.

On the other hand, you tell me (which I already know) the car is "only worth what someone will pay for it" or "all that matters is what it's worth to you".

These two concepts are mutually exclusive to one another. Or rephrased: No matter how much data I provide, you cannot tell me what this car is worth to me.

You can't take all responses from different people and mash them together as one collective opinion, then call them contradictory. But whatever...buy the damned thing.

The blue North Dakota with the tush damage you posted ended with a $6700 bid and a zero feedback bidder. Time will tell if it shows up on eBay again, maybe Craigslist or if it had a real bidder.

yeah, that auction just stinks of b.s. Now I know how to unload my pawnshop guitars!

So......anyone got a 69 nose panel for sale? Or know a guy? Or know a guy who knows a guy?

You can't take all responses from different people and mash them together as one collective opinion, then call them contradictory. But whatever...buy the damned thing.

Agreed! With only seeing 2 pics and one of them being a fender tag Im guessing that it is a $15 thousand dollar cuda...if its for sale a nickel less buy it!

If I was looking at a car and basing solely on your description I'd be looking to pay in the $3500-$4K zone. To make is "nice" by my definition means fixing any interior damage, I expect the engine bay to be the same condition as the body - so the paint needs to be fresh if the car's painted, Engine detailed, interior repaired, etc. Expect to drop another $1-4K on all that because every part produced or good used sold was off and priced from a Hemi car. If you can do the mechanicals and paint yourself (to professional quality) it will be around $2K to buy and do everything - add another $400 for a new custom exhaust. Now, in that shape, with a 2bbl 318, I'd expect to get closer to $7-8K depending on the buyer. So ultimately the money investment may be only worth your enjoyment. If you have to pay to have all that done you will be VERY upside down in it when it's done. Or - you can lower the standards, lower the outlay, and lower the resulting profit.

Yup, no surprises. Curious: no mention of the pass side mirror? This car has it, my blue 69 did not.

QUOTE]

I'm one of those 67-69 cuda fans and got my first one in 69. :p
I guess it mad a big impression on me.

The right side mirror was definitely an option in 67-69. But....if you look in the dealer parts books, (I have a 69 version), there is a section showing dealer installed options with the prices. Things like radios, the insertable gas cap lock, A/C, and yes, mirrors. So if a customer wanted to buy a car off the lot and he wanted a mirror, the dealer could install it.

Anyway, about 10 yrs ago I was at the Nats and bought a really nice original pass side mirror from a guy who had about 5 to choose from. The seller schooled me on right side mirrors. If I Remember Correctly, he said if the mirror had a threaded stud as one of the 2 fasteners, it was factory installed. If it did not have the stud, it was a dealer installed option. The reason being that during factory assembly, a line worker would have easy access from inside the door to install a nut on the stud. But a dealer would not want to mess around with removing the interior door panel and all that. So the parts book right side mirror was installed entirely from outside the car using 2 sheet metal screws. The screw replacing the stud could be inserted through the mirror base into the door metal if the glass was tilted out of the way. So a right side dealer-installed mirror could be added without even opening the door.

It made sense to me because he had at each version with him. I bought the best one he had but it's stashed away somewhere in the fish vault but I think it was the dealer version.

But with all that being said, these cars are now over 40 years old and it's like buying a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get until you take a bite. Right Forrest? So mongrel 67-69's pop up all the time. Non-matching deck trim, grilles, interiors, hoods, etc. When these cars get whacked, you just didn't open a catalog and order replacement parts like a Mustang (though it's getting better) so whatever year part gets found first, that's what ends up on the car. I can't see the front end pic here at work but a wrong year front end would not deter ME from buying a car. The parts are out there if you're patient. Just another negotiating point to get a lower price. But I've seen red FB cudas w/ vinyl roofs and longitudinal stripes and I know it looks good.

Might want to check out the listing GRYPHON just put up for the front nose panel and both grilles, or at least part of the pass side!! Would surely go a long way on your new purchase, and it's priced right too!! Geof

check out what he re-posted. I caught the previous thread which hadn't been touched in a couple years. good to see a fresh post on this. May need to call it in.

I could probably get those missing pieces for the grilles at my "honey hole", theres a couple 69's there in various stages of disrepair!! Geof

I could probably get those missing pieces for the grilles at my "honey hole", theres a couple 69's there in various stages of disrepair!! Geof

Worry over how much it would take (and if I could even find the parts) to right the wrong at the front of the car is all that's keeping me from bidding. I would be VERY interested in hearing what you have available and approx cost.

$600 for a partial isn't TOO terribly bad but then to figure shipping from Canada..... [re: gryphon's sale]

-
Back