What's this Barracuda worth???

-
Looking for another Cuda is out of the question. I'm not on a quest but, rather, have had this opportunity presented and wish to go about it correctly.

I have been under the car and, while filthy, it is still solid as is the trunk floor.

I am pretty sure that motor has not been rebuilt. The present owner (the grandson) claims he drove it to work 2-3 times about 2 1/2 years ago but then simply would not start. Jumper cables didn't make it happen, either. I'm thinking fuel or spark.

At present, simply trying to gather as many opinions as possible prior to the weekend which would be the next time I can meet with him.

Rust free is a big plus becasuse rust repair is very costly, The vinyl top is a cool option. Shifter on the column would be a non-console car, replaced quarter panel that was reworked poorly, not running all would take away from the value of the car. The big hit would be the quarter panel to me because for it to bring good money it would need to be fixed so that would mean a full repaint. You mention Torch Red as the paint color but there was no Torch Red from the factory on a 1969 Barracuda. There is a paint code R6 and that is called Scorch Red or a code R4 Barracuda Orange as far as the red tones go for this car. I have included that paint chip sample for you. (Note: not every color shown may be a Barracuda color) You need to run all the codes on this car if you want to try to ever recover your investment.

Attachments

• 1969-plymouth-pc.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 372
I know you could get a 69 FB with factory vinyl, they were a canopy top and didn't go to the drip rails.

What I can get it for may hinge on this thread.

I also had never heard of factory cruise on that car. Dealer equipment, possibly? But then, I had never heard of the vinyl roof on a fastback, either but it's legit.

Another note about condition: the owner had the pipes cut and made into a dual exhaust setup. I would redo that back to proper single exit exhaust.

I would certainly enjoy the ownership of it... Were this a 69 Mustang, I wouldn't even have looked at it. I'm nostalgic for the 2nd gen cudas. But I don't want to take too much of a financial hit in my retired arse. This is homework and it must be done!

Looking for another Cuda is out of the question. I'm not on a quest but, rather, have had this opportunity presented and wish to go about it correctly.

I have been under the car and, while filthy, it is still solid as is the trunk floor.

QUOTE]

An Arizona car should be pretty solid and any body work shouldn't be too difficult. The replaced quarter probably means it was in an accident at some point because it's doubtful it was due to rust. You can use this to your advantage when negotiating. I bought a pair of the AMD full factory style quarters at the Nats last year so we now have that option. This car will never be worth big money because of the drivetrain but.....a red fastback with stripes and a factory vinyl roof is fairly rare and looks pretty sharp when done right. Unless you take it to a Mopar show, you'll probably be the only FB cuda at shows. I have pix of a one owner perfectly restored FB 318 cuda I came across last year. So perfect, it arrived in an enclosed trailer. I can't remember exactly but it won a top award at the Mopars at Summit last year.

Drivetrain issues are minor to me. Easy to fix. I can't put a price on the enjoyment I get out of driving my 68. To me, that's where it's at and I don't care what anybody thinks of my car, it makes me happy.

I am pretty sure that motor has not been rebuilt. The present owner (the grandson) claims he drove it to work 2-3 times about 2 1/2 years ago but then simply would not start. Jumper cables didn't make it happen, either. I'm thinking fuel or spark.

At present, simply trying to gather as many opinions as possible prior to the weekend which would be the next time I can meet with him.

Well, truth be told based on what you have described and what my fellow FABO brothers and sis have said I would offer 3,000.00 max. It sounds like your not in love with it but have a chance to enjoy it and then sell it for a little more than you spend. I like the plan.

Well, truth be told based on what you have described and what my fellow FABO brothers and sis have said I would offer 3,000.00 max. It sounds like your not in love with it but have a chance to enjoy it and then sell it for a little more than you spend. I like the plan.

Based off no pictures and no fender tag information I would have to think you are right on the money at $3000 max. While the metal survives well in Arizona all the rubber seals and soft parts go to crap and that needs to be considered also.

Welcome to FABO from another Alabamian (Huntspatch). These guys are right about the prices cars have been going for in the current economy. About the best I saw was a really nice lemon twist 68 fastback with a 340 that ebay'd for $7800 or so. Paint will cost that much if you do it right.

You should try not to pay over $4K for that car if it has a 318 and needs work IMO.

If you are not married to that particular car, consider other options. Here is a real good start on a car that is good to do (it appears), done, and already hot rodded. Who knows what the reserve is cause the seller may have watched too much Barrett Jackson shows, but they will see what the market is by the bids and you may be able to get offline with them and do a deal. Patience pays in this hobby.

Believe me there is a huge difference between even a 340 and a stroker. Better chance on getting the money back on a finished (properly) car than a project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plym...5199463?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27cf831767

It sounds like your not in love with it but have a chance to enjoy it and then sell it for a little more than you spend. I like the plan.

Close...I do have a very soft heart for this body style but the rest is dead-on: I want to enjoy being the coolest kid on the block for a while (I would feel that way at least) and be able to make some money on it after putting easy work into it.

Alot of you are seeing it the same way as I. Even before I saw the car, I knew the soft parts would be toast but the metal would be good. Surprisingly, the seat vinyl is still well intact needing little more than a good cleaning and a healthy dose of preservatives. I suspect the owner had a garage and used it.

Mechanical work is easy. Alot easier than body and upholstery repair. But the fact that it isn't running, and has been "hit" are solid bartering points along with the paint not being original. (It was Scorch not Torch...I've been mixing those two words for a couple weeks, now). Seems that door seals and firewall gaskets are readily avialable these days in reproduction. Any reason I should be concerned with these?

I didn't check for power steering but I did observe non-assisted brakes. Were dual side mirrors optional? I don't recall my first Barra having a mirror on the pass side.

airwoofer: sorry mate but I've no interest in hot -rodding the car. It makes me smile seeing the original AM radio in the unmolested dash.

If you want it, get it. The rebuilding and correcting bit to your personal satisfaction is worth it.

I don't think you are realizing what paint costs now days. It is very expensive.

Now this confuses me! lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plym...7910872?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d8964bd8

Cliffnotes version: a 68 coupe slant six that's been damaged in the rear with 20 bids at $6,600.

That is an easy fix. Looks like new paint, rechromed bumpers, console, nice bucket seats, either rechromed or new dash panel, nice dash pads and yes a salvage title. The location has a lot to do with the price this car is bringing because it is in rust country and near the Canadian border where they bring more money. If you look at bid history there is a 23 feedback bidder and a 0 feedback bidder so it may be a shill bid all the way. There is a fastback thread on here where it looked like the same thing.

Now on the flip side of the coin, look at the 1969 Barracuda that has been for sale in Sherman Texas for months for $11,999 that hasn't sold. They have had it on Craigslist up in my area for many months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plym...6466675?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d8804273

The paint is crap where it is peeling. The bright work is dull but at 20 feet the car most likely doesn't look too bad.

View attachment 23.jpg

The exhaust looks like garbage, bench seat, column shift, a pos dash bezel and such.

View attachment 14.jpg

I read all three pages and I take your point. I couldn't see why a damaged coupe with a /Six would even cross 5k with a damaged tush.

So hey, I really do appreciate everyone's input thus far. Thank you. I will definitely post up after I get a second look at the Slickback and answer all pending questions. Truth is, I already have enough data to make a solid bartering case but getting some of these questions sorted out will help me decide if I want to even undertake.

I scribbled a VIN breakdown in a notebook so I could interpret the numbers, on-site. Someone mentioned the possibility of the car maybe starting out as a six-cylinder...got me thinking...the front susp seemed awful mushy. I told the seller, "feels like the shocks are done".

I scribbled a VIN breakdown in a notebook so I could interpret the numbers, on-site. Someone mentioned the possibility of the car maybe starting out as a six-cylinder...got me thinking...the front susp seemed awful mushy. I told the seller, "feels like the shocks are done".
what is the 5th digit?

I scribbled the VIN info to take with me when I get to see the car again. Hasn't happened yet.

So meanwhile, allow me to share: Photograph of the Barracuda I owned from '87 ~ 92. She was Ivy Green throughout but I redid the interior in black and had the exterior shot in blue (this was not the color I chose, btw...long story). An original 318 auto on the console, PS, no air, no pwr brakes and had the foot-pump windshield washer. Didn't even have a fold-down rear seat but I sourced one from a junker. I loved this car.

157_zps7cb411bd.jpg

Someone mentioned the possibility of the car maybe starting out as a six-cylinder...got me thinking...the front susp seemed awful mushy. I told the seller, "feels like the shocks are done".

My 68 fish feels the same way and I replaced the front shocks with new "autoparts store" shocks and it felt the same. Unless the car has stiffer torsion bars and anti-sway bars they will feel mushy. Just how they were made back in the day.

You don't need or want power brakes. I don't think the A bodies need power steering either but I drive slow on the streets and only in a straight line when going fast.

Thanks! And I found a pic of the engine compartment from the blue one...no power booster there, either, and I was fine as I recall.

....and yes. The flip-down seatback was standard up till '69 when it became optional.

Going for second look at 1 tomorrow. Bringing cables and a compression tester.
Anyone think I should worry about the state of the valve springs? I have no idea how these hold up over the years but I can't imagine 318 springs being under much stress.

Heck no, don't worry.....the valve springs should always be fine, I mean, as long as none are broken. I think no matter how bad they are, they'll always be good for at least 4000 RPM, and do the job at hand.....the "grocery getter" job that is.

Having owned a 68 Formula s 340 auto car now for more than 10 years it will never be worth more than 10k. Why, its rust free original slightly modded car capable of mid 12s in the quarter mile. Non number matching motor trans. No fender tag or build sheet. It has a color change on great metal but a back yard paint job. Looks good at 10 feet. I have changed over to lbp front discs many more upgrades. Have felt like restoring but why. It will never be what it was. No matter what I do it will never draw more than 10k. So what you spend and then think it will be worth well you get the picture.

and you'll probably have at the very least 20k wrapped in it when alls said and done

Amen Brother. Been there done that. Every thing you do to that car will cost 3 times what was estimated and in the end, you will still have a very common (318 Automatic) Barracuda. From my experience, do not buy it if you hope to recover all $ invested. It ain't going to happen.

Just strictly for informational purposes, I went and inspected a 69 340 Cuda fastback for an out of state member. The car was clean, solid, original drivetrain, had a couple parts replaced but was solid and mostly original. Needed paint but the motor ran like a scalded dog, with 8 3/4 and 4 speed. The asking price was $9500 and I got his low limit of $8000. Good deal for 8K, but overpriced at $9500 IMO!!

In your case, don't EVER buy a car and think you're going to make money on it, especially if you start dumping the kind of $$ for the parts you described!! AND, don't think you're fooling the wife or yourself, you either buy it to enjoy or you don't buy it at all. If she's putting limits on what you can spend, then either she knows more than you do about 69 Cuda fastbacks and you should be asking her these q's, or she has no clue and will fight you every step of the way, AND be pissed when she insists that you sell it and can't even break even on it!!

Now, if you can get it for pennies on the dollar, that may be a different story, but people who have cars from the past that aren't in the hobby usually have a Barrett-Jackson idea of what the car is worth. Thats usually the only barometer they have to go by!!

Good luck either way you go, and I hope you get the car!! geof

-
Back