When to say when with a project car....

-

Useless

Reaction score
I've got a tough descision to make about the future of my '63 Valiant Signet Conv. project so I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts, experiences and opinions on the subject.

Back towards the end of last summer I ended up talking with a friend of a friend about this car, he was looking to sell it and it sounded like the perfect project so we struck up a deal.

We went back and forth for months trying to get the car here, I wanted to pick it up, he either wanted one last ride in it or said "but I've got all these parts to go with it" long story short, after nearly deciding to not get the car and 5 months later, he brings me the car, but no parts and at this point I honestly am not sure I'll ever see the parts. He's a great guy, but very, very, very laid back and in a hurry for no man.

So anyway, I got the car, a little rougher than described, but I kinda expected that..... I've been down this road before. I've driven it a few times and it drives great and it's already had so much stuff done to it, very mechanically solid just needs rust repair and interior.

Perfect project... what's the problem right? Right now money is very tight and it looks like it's going to be that way for us for a while. We currently rent and I do not have a garage to keep the car in, I do have one I can access for 3-4 hour projects, but no place I can really have the car being non-op for more than a day at a time.

I also don't really have many tools at my disposal right now, pretty much nothing that can't fit into my 3 drawer craftsman box that sits in the floor of our second bedroom. So stuff that might come in handy diring the corse of this project, compressor, welder, ect.... I don't have.

So it really leaves me with having someone else do the metal work I need done and I know that's pretty much an imposibility. I could maybe scrimp and save to get the patch panels but I just don't see any way of covering someone else doing the labor.

In all honestly, at this point and time I am feeling like it might be the best thing for me to do is try and sell the car, I hate to even think about it, but I'm not making any progress on it and we could use a little extra money.

It kills me though, I find exactly the project I've been looking for and can't keep it due partly to money, mostly to housing situation. I also feel like I'm letting the previous owner down a little, I had intentions of doing so much with the car but life is getting in the way.

Anyone else been in a similar boat? What'd you do? I'd love to keep this car but it just doesn't seem reasonable for me to do so right now. I've been racking my brain for days trying to figure this out...... help!

Also, description of the car might help you guys (not a for sale ad, haven't decided anything yet):

'63 Valiant Signet Convertible

Good:
mildly built 170 slant with bigger cam, twin 1bbls on an offy intake, pushbutton torqueflite
dutra dual exhaust manifold, new exhaust all the way back
newer mini starter
new battery
car has been converted to big bolt pattern with front manual discs
car also has V8 torsion bars and springs
factory power steering (works)
frontend rebuilt with poly bushings
rechromed bumpers
decent top with good back window (is power, currently manual)
14 inch rallyes with ok tires
front floor pans have been replaced
all lights work, was just driven on a 4 hour trip to me with no problem

Bad:
Typical early A rust, little on/in cowl, passenger door, 1/4s above and behind the rear wheels, trunk lid, trunk floor seems good but rear frame rails need caps.
Needs some finish work done on the floors
only have 2 seats, driver and rear seat, PO never gave me the passenger bucket.
door panels there but rough
rear side panels missing

Car drives good, pretty much needs a good cosmetic restoration....
100_3264.jpg

100_3267.jpg

Personally I would say if it's drivable just dive it and don't worry about the rest. I would find another seat though. If money is to the point of needing to sell it then well that would really suck. I would treat the rust with some rust mort though and then maybe fiz can paint to cover the black that the rust mort leaves. Just a thought but that is one cool car.

I wouldn,t sell.Why?I don,t think you,ll find another like it.It,s a cool car.That,s just me though,hopefully something comes up and you don,t have to sell.

Keep it! Drive it to work and dump anything you have make payment on. Some of friends ask why......

No payments, even if you have to put 100 bucks a month into it it's less then the bus.

It'll be worth more than thier Toyota or whatever they think is green.

And then again it's just me but I'll say "fk off". It's my driver, it's good on gas, and is just that much cooler than thier Vulva, lol~ !

If it's the car you want (and it seems to be so for you) then don't; I repeat don't sell it.
Your situation kind of sounds a bit like what I was faced with 20 years ago and for me, it's still not on the road.
Short history lesson: I found my dream car some 20 years ago. Smashed up, all glass beat out, parts missing, tires flat, car filthy etc. etc.. In spite of all the (bad) it was solid and love at first sight. I too didn't have a garage nor tools with which to do the body work nor the experience to do the body work.
I did, however, have enough love for the car and determination to want it in a garage and have the body work done. First the garage I found (cheaply-just to keep it under cover and out of the elements) and next, I bugged the heck out of the local community college to take it on. I really kept going back and back to them to take it on. After much begging for them to at least come and see it, they (he) agreed to take the project on providing I round up the glass and body parts that were smashed up.
Fast forward almost 15 years and much unemployment and underemployment later. Still the desire and love for the car (it has had the body work and paint job and still sits in a garage). Some large "other" projects need tending to like fixing the house, having a family vacation we promised ourselves and a daughter getting married. Now it's my turn. I have the car, I'm 20 years older, have the desire and a few bucks to put into the car and... it seems not enough time. I do have only two choices in my life for this car..... Finish it or die! It really has kept me going with the dreams I have of driving it through some lean times.
Sorry to be so long winded. Bottom line; if the car means as much to you as mine does to me, you will find a way.
Thanks for the opportunity for me to re-commit to my car.
Cheers.... Paul

If you finally got the car you wanted, just hang on to it and let her sit in your pocket and just wait it out. If it were a car that just popped up and you said what the heck for no good reason, then I'd sell it.

It's a good platform to start with. Looks good. Nice lil'car with an easy on the wallet engine. It looks to be in better shape than my dail driver AND IT's a DROP TOP! How freakin sweet is that!?!?!?!?

Time and money, things I'm very short of. Nothin leavin my stable. There'll be a time when I'm able to get to it once again.

i have to agree.. screw fixing body right now if you don't have the money and space to do so. drive and enjoy the car now and when you can fix the rest. real simple. hell i have been driving my rust bucket dart for years now and have fun every year with it. would i like all the rust fixed and perfect paint on the car? hell yes. but i just can't do it at this time so it stays rusty.

If it's paid for keep it, won't gain much by selling it and you'll regret it later. Better times are ahead.

I was tempted to sell my 65 Cuda a bunch of times over the past 15 years or so. On two occasions guys were coming over with the money next weekend. They never showed. Thank God. Now I'm a little older,I guess I,m a little smarter too,that's debatable.You have a fairly solid drivable car.Truthfully, you're not gonna get a whole lot for it,especially now.Do yourself a favor,save yourself a self inflicted *** kicking and DO NOT SELL. JMO Bill C in MD

When I first read it, I thought sell it.

Then I saw what has been done to it. And the fact that it runs and drives.

Keep it, drive it and enjoy. Maybe get a buddy who can do one floor pan every 3 months or something.

Speaking from experience, once you take it apart, it can be a long time until it runs again.....

Cool car.

ROB

I agree with everyone on here. Keep it, who knows what the next couple of years will bring you...I a 65 Dart vert that I have had fir 6 years now, like you, no money to put into it as I have my 66 dart and 65 Barracuda. And really don't get much time to work on them. I do have them at a friends place and can work on them sometimes...I have thought about selling the vert a few times, but just can't bring myself to do it.....It isn't costing me anything for it to sit..So I would say if it isn't costing you anything ot have it sit at your place keep it

Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess I'm going to try and wait a little longer before I make a move. If I sold the car I know I would regret it, how do I know? I had an early A conv before, a friend now has it and I kick myself every time I see the car.

100_2675.jpg

I just need to try and take it slow with the car, put the floors back in and drive it, worry about the frame asap and put the body off for as long as needs be.

Times are tough right now and the easiest thing to do is thin the heard, being frustrated with space and getting the parts I'm owed doesn't help matters either.

Guess I'll keep it for a while longer, thanks guys.

Getting the parts you're owed? Take a truck and go over and get em. That's simple.
Right on the money small block.
Get the rest of your stuff first and go from there. If the guy's as laid back as you say, you have to go get the stuff, he'll never bring it to you.
Keep the car and fix it when time and finances allow.
Don't do anything you will regret later!
We all have, and that's me in spades!
drive it and enjoy it for now.
moi deux cents
Tom.:toothy10:

Stay with it. How often do you see a 63 vert no less? The two carb setup is cool as hell. Unless the family is going hungry or with out a roof over their heads keep it. You got a running driving car enjoy it rust and all.

Better gas mileage than most cars, motor is rebuilt and runs good, its a friggin convert!, cool factor, big deal if it isn't pretty up close, it is easy to work on when it needs it, and you will kick yourself in the *** every time you think about it! KEEP IT!!!!!

No one can tell you if you would regret selling the car except you.....after you've already sold it

I agree with just about everything thats already been said. The way I see it, keep it unless the money is needed to provide for your family. Family comes first and even if you regret it down the road turn your thoughts to how you did right by your family and the regret should fade. I hope that you can keep it but if not its not the end of the world!

Keep the car and fix it up a little at a time,it will get harder to find another one. And kick yourself for getting rid of it,drive it and enjoy it.

Getting the parts you're owed? Take a truck and go over and get em. That's simple.

Well, it's not so easy, he lives about 5 hours away and I've never been to his house. I've tried to set up times to pick up the stuff, but he's always "working" or has "something else going on". I understand how life is, but what can you do; I can't really bash the guy though, we've all been lazy before....I'd say that's mostly why the car is in it's current condition and why it was sold. I guess I'm just slightly less understanding and patient when I have to put forth all the effort.

I'll end up with the stuff at some point, I'm not in major hurry right now but I would like to get at least the other seat and trunk lid before warm weather. I'd drive down there right now to pick them up if it were that simple.

I did get the car out and drive it a little today despite the massive holes in the floor and no heat, it's was pretty fun, I think once the weather breaks selling it wouldn't even be a question I'd have. I also got to talk to a friend about helping with the floor pan work, seems like we might be able to work something out, I did a little work on his VW today in payment for future mopar repairs...

I did jinx myself with the reliability though, battery isn't charging now. Isn't that the way it always goes!

my life has changed so much in the last year, i look at things a little different now. im hoping to get rid of my 67 dart today. i am not in a bind for the cash but nothing is happening with the car, nothing is going to happen for a long time to come, it sitting in my yard taking up space and ive just had enough. time to go. cut my losses.

Just because you can't do anything with it right now doesn't mean yo need to get rid of it. My Barracuda has been an 11 year work-in-progress. I've gone years at a time without doing anything to it but driving it on weekends. If it's the car you want, and you don't absolutely have to sell it because you need money, I say hold on to it and work on it a little at a time when you have time and money.

I understand about low finances and I also understood about having the car you have always wanted. I chose to keep it and I did my $48 a month storage bill untill I had the means and now 5 years later I am driving it and having a ball. It takes alot of sacrifice by the whole family but in the end there is an object that will bring the family together and provide an unlimited amount of things to do.

-
Back