where to find 8.75 sure grip units used

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
wanting to know what chrysler vehicles commonly have sure-grips in them that would be at junk-yards and gear ratio for an 8.75 to replace my spool.

thanks

I seen this is a thread a few years back but couldnt find it on a search.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a Mopar that commonly has a sure-grip. I say that because in most instances it was an option, even in a lot of their performance vehicles. A perfect example is back in high school a buddy of mine had a 67 Dodge R/T with the 440 magnum and nearly every option available including an 8-3/4 but it was a peg leg with 2.94 gears. Not sure why someone would order a car like that but that's the way it went back then. The really odd thing is you can find them in vehicles that you think may not have one. Such as Chrysler New Yorkers, 1/2 ton pickups and I even saw a 71 Duster with a 318 with no other options except a 3:23 sure-grip. You just have to check everything you see cause if you don't you may miss one.

BTW: You know you can buy new ones, right?

I don't know if there is such a thing as a Mopar that commonly has a sure-grip.

Agreed. It's just another option. And good luck finding one in a junkyard. Your best bet is to hit a swap meet and shell out $350-550 for a decent used third member.

Craigslist.... I've found alot of stuff in other towns not even close to mine. Hard part is getting people to ship if you do find what you want.

What gear ratio are u looking for I have a 742 case with 456 ring and pinion I'm in the Jackson Mich area
Aaron

suregrip was an option and I have no idea what cars would/could of come with it standard..even R/T's, gtx,had one wheel peel unless suregrip was ordered.

Does the entire rearend need to be swapped, or can one just swap in the limited slip/posi internals? I ask because am in the same boat as Mopar2, i.e. open diff.

Does the entire rearend need to be swapped, or can one just swap in the limited slip/posi internals? I ask because am in the same boat as Mopar2, i.e. open diff.

one of the great things about the 8-3/4 is that any center section will bolt into your housing 741, 742, or 489,

I've found the model most likely to have a sure grip is a pickup 4X4 but any vehicle with an 8 3/4 could have had one. I've found them in Imperials to plain jane slant 6 A-bodies. If you buy a used one that you can't test, get a clutch type as you can at least rebuild those.

im very well aware i can buy a new one. Im just looking to save some money, and I dont know how to set-up the gears, thought if I could find a sure-grip with 3:55 3:90's i could just easily swap them out and save money on labor by doing it myself and not having to "build" the rear-end.

thanks for the advice I'll just check out the vans/trucks/big cars from 60's-70's i guess

I dont have an open diff, I have a spooled rear-end and want a clutch type locker since its ONLY a show car cruiser.

Man I'd just love to see a 60's Mopar in the JY. Around here if their earlier than an 85 the idiots automatically crush them.

Tell me about it. If I ran a yard, I'd crush almost of all the newer stuff that came in. The local yard got in a '65 Valiant coupe with a 273 in it the other day. Sold some interior parts out of it and crushed it flat. They are stupid...

Not sure about Mi, but the Pick-N-Pull's here in California seem to have a decent number of 70's Dodge pickups that they keep for a reasonable amount of time. They'd probably be the best bet percentage-wise to find a sure grip rear end in a stock vehicle. An entire 3rd member from there runs like $75. But they do go fast, I usually keep an eye on the inventory online and try to get down there if they get something in that's pre-'75.

Definitely not the bulk of their inventory, but it happens enough to be worth it to watch the inventories. I pulled an entire 8 3/4 rear end with the 11" brakes out of a '67 Polara a couple weeks back for $150. Not a sure grip or a good ratio, I think its a 2.76, but its a 742 chunk and big brakes, so it was well worth it.

Dam So-Cal yards BARLEY have any classic mopar metal be it truck, van, or car! I quit going to the yard after they said "okay 5-pin ecu..."untested, looks terrible, caked with grease...that'll be $25!" LOL Mopar2 just put in a sure-grip unit instead of replacing the whole pumpkin? i'm not sure how that works.....

In most cases a mid 70's 4 wheel drive truck will have a 3:55 to match the Dana 44 front axle ratio of 3:54. Another often overlooked source is any big C-body car with a big block motor, most times from 69 or earlier. I have a few sources to try if you'd like me to check here in Michigan. I know of one 3:23 SG in an E-body housing right now just laying on a pile of rearends, and the whereabouts of a couple C-bodies that may have one. Geof

Id pay $1-200 for a good used older non cone diff by itself. Not finding any around here.

Dam So-Cal yards BARLEY have any classic mopar metal be it truck, van, or car! I quit going to the yard after they said "okay 5-pin ecu..."untested, looks terrible, caked with grease...that'll be $25!" LOL Mopar2 just put in a sure-grip unit instead of replacing the whole pumpkin? i'm not sure how that works.....

There was an old Dodge pickup "camper special" complete at pick-your-part on Beach in Stanton a few weeks ago. I looked under it and it had an 8 3/4 but the wheels spun opposite. Should have taken a closer look.

-
Back