Which cam to use?

-
If 68fastback does not take it then I will offer it to whom ever may ask to be next in line.

The $130 including shipping (plus $10 for insurance and packaging to protect it from damage - optional) can be paypal to me at [email protected] or by mailing me a certified bank check to my home address that I will PM to you.
KP

0713091508.jpg

0713091508a.jpg

0713091508b.jpg

0713091509.jpg

0713091509a.jpg

0713091510.jpg

0713091510b.jpg

0713091512.jpg

0713091512a.jpg

0713091512b.jpg

Being as i recently had great success using 3 different Lunati "voodoo" cams i would highly recommend looking into them..the Mopar performance are old and outdated designs,and my engine builder just went through 3 of them before getting one that wouldn't wipe out a lobe on a build he recently did...

After lash it's .525-int .527exh and it will idle way better than a .508.

The .508 needs 4.30 min gears anyways.

The .557 being a solid has faster ramp speed and doesn't need as narrow cl from the added lift which is there to keep the up HP.
It also requires la lil less gear which helps in a street strip app.

BTW I run the MP.528 solid and love it.

I run the MP 296/557 solid in my 340 Dart Sport. The cam works great, but I have a 5000 stall 8" converter. Last friday night I ran a 7.52 @ 90, foot braking to almost 4500, with a 1.61 60ft. Also running through mufflers. I probalbly wouldn't drive this combo much on the street though!

I run the MP 296/557 solid in my 340 Dart Sport. The cam works great, but I have a 5000 stall 8" converter. Last friday night I ran a 7.52 @ 90, foot braking to almost 4500, with a 1.61 60ft. Also running through mufflers. I probalbly wouldn't drive this combo much on the street though!

How does yours idle compared to any .509-.508 hyd?

if you are going to spend more time on the strip then the street...i would go with a solid lifter cam...

the .557 cam is an old but good cam...it does not have a really radial idle due to the 110 Lobe centers....I have used that cam in several engines thru the years.... cam and lifters can usually be had to a good price....

as far as valve clearance you wont have problems...currently putting together 360 with kb107 with Engle 253/253 @ .050 with .575 lift (1.5 rockers) but using 1.6 rockers....613 lift.

btw the valve to piston clearance problems do not occur due to the max lift....it occurs during the overlap period of the cam....intake valve closing and exhaust valve opening while the piston is hanging around tdc... duration...lobe center and rate of lift compared to duration is what cause valve to piston problems...

3.91's would be just fine for the .508..maybe 4.30's for the .557 cam!!!

ha ha yeah ok all reasoning go's against what you are saying cause the they have the same o lap but with the .557 cl being wider=better idle.imo

.557 is considerably mild with it's 110cl giving decent rough but decent idle.

But seriously they have the same O-lap with the .557 having a better idle and faster ramps cause it's a solid. jmo

The above are my opinions and not law.:angel7:

I'm going to start another thread because it's deep into this one to change the subject so see "pros and cons of solid lifters"

IMHO, the Lunati 60403 cam is a real good combo for what you're wanting to accomplish, given the parts you want to use. Couple that with the fact that your wife will be driving it too (no disrespect intended, some ladies just don't like as much rumble as we men do), i believe that you will like the performance. I've talked to several guys who've changed from that same Comp Cam to the Lunati and all have said that their performance has improved, both on track and off. I have that same Comp in mine and as soon as money allows, i am going to change mine out too. It seems as though hot rodders are always looking for a better mouse trap. :cheers:

On the MP cam,

The .528 and .557 solids are really good cams. They just work well.

If you are going hyd, I'd run a 484 cam before the 508 cam. Unless you do a max effort type deal with a bunch of stall, a 484 runs better than a 508 everywhere but the last 500 rpm of usable range. Both have a really dirty idle most of the time.

The voodoo cams are really nice pieces and I'd use one of them before running the MP hyd stuff.

I wouldent underestemate my wife she wants as much or more than me or any other man I know it's just her and her father don't think I can mak the car go in the 12's without going way over the budgit of $2500. However I do still need tires and a radiator but I am determend to make it so I am calling on all of you a body members for help.

I wouldent underestemate my wife she wants as much or more than me or any other man I know it's just her and her father don't think I can mak the car go in the 12's without going way over the budgit of $2500. However I do still need tires and a radiator but I am determend to make it so I am calling on all of you a body members for help.

You can make it run 12's with a comp xe262h, rpm/ld340/air gap, 750 carb, headers. Put enough converter, gear and tire on it, it will make it.

I have some cams here, new and used, that would do the trick.

8)
You can make it run 12's with a comp xe262h, rpm/ld340/air gap, 750 carb, headers. Put enough converter, gear and tire on it, it will make it.

I have some cams here, new and used, that would do the trick.

if I can make it go faster and stay in budget that makes me a hero and that makes all of you my hero.

On the MP cam,

The .528 and .557 solids are really good cams. They just work well.

If you are going hyd, I'd run a 484 cam before the 508 cam. Unless you do a max effort type deal with a bunch of stall, a 484 runs better than a 508 everywhere but the last 500 rpm of usable range. Both have a really dirty idle most of the time.

The voodoo cams are really nice pieces and I'd use one of them before running the MP hyd stuff.

Has anyone used the MP 284 .484 that is ground with a, (I think) 114 lsa instead of the 108 for better street manners?

Bro. I'm tellin you, take a look at the 285hl. It is way more lift for the duration than anything else I've seen except Hughes racing cams. It will be awesome at the track, and very fun on the street, and you can run it with the 107's no prob. If the 285 is too much, look at the 275hl then. It's excellent! Look at 440source.com about these cams and how they act in a big block, then imagine what it would do for you.... and still idle at 800 with 12-13 hg vacuum.... witth a 2500 stall and 3.91's you'll be all in the 12's and then some. A 383 was featured in engine builders a while back and with nothing more than a carb, intake, headers and cam, a 285hl, made 450 horsepower. I ran a 222/232 cam in my dart and it was a 12 sec car, but advertized duration was 292/315. On a 112 lsa. So it sounded awesome, went very fast, but my friends car with a 275hl in a 340 put me down like I was stopped. Our darts had the same gears and same stall. That's why I recommend this series of cams, cause I saw it for myself, and I've run alot of different grinds over the years. Good luck!

Bro. I'm tellin you, take a look at the 285hl. It is way more lift for the duration than anything else I've seen except Hughes racing cams. It will be awesome at the track, and very fun on the street, and you can run it with the 107's no prob. If the 285 is too much, look at the 275hl then. It's excellent! Look at 440source.com about these cams and how they act in a big block, then imagine what it would do for you.... and still idle at 800 with 12-13 hg vacuum.... witth a 2500 stall and 3.91's you'll be all in the 12's and then some. A 383 was featured in engine builders a while back and with nothing more than a carb, intake, headers and cam, a 285hl, made 450 horsepower. I ran a 222/232 cam in my dart and it was a 12 sec car, but advertized duration was 292/315. On a 112 lsa. So it sounded awesome, went very fast, but my friends car with a 275hl in a 340 put me down like I was stopped. Our darts had the same gears and same stall. That's why I recommend this series of cams, cause I saw it for myself, and I've run alot of different grinds over the years. Good luck!

Do they make a cam and lifter set for this. The only XE285HL I see is for big block in the Kits?

yes they do, you can get them from summit, just ask about the high lift series for mopar small block. Comp cams website has the grind numbers in their online catalog as well, and you can also get a good price from some of the guys on ebay.... be sure and get the correct springs, and have your heads set up for you by some one who is good, to make sure your seat and open pressures are correct. Dude you will be so glad you picked one of these... I'm putting one in my build now, and I'm gonna give my friend a run for his money!
Oh, yeah, make sure they check the valve guide height for correct clearance, too! That car is gonna be really cool....good luck!

grind #'s are 20-227-4 and 20-228-4. that's for cam only. Summit has them in cl kit, or k kit. I always try and save for the k kit, cause it's all there. Have fun!

I personally trust comp cams and they said the 275 is the best all around street performance cam, the 285 is a more strip than street grind, so it's your call. They even have one bigger... oh snap! That's wild....

Can you use any hydraulic lifter with any cam? They don't make the 20-227-4 in a kit that includes the lifters.

-
Back