which impact wrench

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
I'm up to 4 cars to change tires on now. Without a 220v compressor, I'd like to find a portable, either rechargable or electric that will actually renove the nuts without me having to crack them. This is a tire tool only purpose.

SO, What are mem's using?

Electric impact from Canadian Tire. It works way better than my air impact!

Electric impact from Canadian Tire. It works way better than my air impact!
I have the portable impact from CT,good for the track or anywhere needed.It came with a spare battery,charger and carrying bag.Watch for them on sale as I got mine for 1/3 the price.:D

are these puppies tough enough to break the bolts loose (and zip them off) on the rims? That's all I need it for. I would use it to put the lugs back on , but I would still torque by hand.

The electric one will for sure!

0542734_1

Ingersol Rand used to make two different ones, the lighter duty of which I've had since the SEVENTIES. Only disadvantage with it is that to reverse it you must rotate a plastic housing at the rear, so that plastic is subject to damage.

$%28KGrHqR,!qIFHw5jZWpHBSBs4QHCT!~~60_35.JPG

Heavy duty version

80517bg_27.jpeg

Don't want to consider an air impact? You can find numerous air compressors that will operate on 110V house current that will provide 135 - 150PSI of air pressure. This is more than adequate to run a good quality air impact wrench, such as an Ingersoll Rand, etc. A good upright (vertical) air compressor on wheels from Sears or Home Depot will run the impact and several other air tools useful in auto repairs.

Don't want to consider an air impact? You can find numerous air compressors that will operate on 110V house current that will provide 135 - 150PSI of air pressure. This is more than adequate to run a good quality air impact wrench, such as an Ingersoll Rand, etc. A good upright (vertical) air compressor on wheels from Sears or Home Depot will run the impact and several other air tools useful in auto repairs.

I'd sure like to know which one. I had a 110V, 30 gallon, 5 HP compressor that would take one maybe two lug nuts off and then I had to wait. I toasted it I used it so much.

I currently have a 5HP, 25 gallon that's the same way. I just upgraded to a 220V, 60 gallon, 5 HP, that should do the trick.

I have an old used Craftsman upright 30 gallon oil-less 110V 5HP air compressor that I use regularly and its portable. I bought it off my local craigslist several years ago for $75. I can lean it back using its upright handle and roll it on its two wheels. I use it around the house and sometimes load it up on my truck and haul it to a farm where I'm doing some renovation work.

For removing lug nuts, its not the compressor, but the impact wrench being used. If you have a budget impact, it typically won't do the job, not matter what compressor you use with it. I have several Ingersoll-Rand 231 units in my shop and they do a great job for all types of automotive repairs. If you want a really great air impact, get a Ingersoll-Rand 2135TiMax. It weighs about 4 pounds and is one of the most powerful 1/2" impacts available on the market. Also, ensure that you are running 3/8" air hose with your air compressor and you should have no problem removing any lug nut on any car.

I use an air one from HF, would like an electric or battery for on the site but never got one now works so ify I don't think I would make the investment, sure would like portable though.

I have an old used Craftsman upright 30 gallon oil-less 110V 5HP air compressor that I use regularly and its portable. I bought it off my local craigslist several years ago for $75. I can lean it back using its upright handle and roll it on its two wheels. I use it around the house and sometimes load it up on my truck and haul it to a farm where I'm doing some renovation work.

For removing lug nuts, its not the compressor, but the impact wrench being used. If you have a budget impact, it typically won't do the job, not matter what compressor you use with it. I have several Ingersoll-Rand 231 units in my shop and they do a great job for all types of automotive repairs. If you want a really great air impact, get a Ingersoll-Rand 2135TiMax. It weighs about 4 pounds and is one of the most powerful 1/2" impacts available on the market. Also, ensure that you are running 3/8" air hose with your air compressor and you should have no problem removing any lug nut on any car.

I have a 10g portable tank (125PSI) that came with an impact, but it doesn't crack the nuts. Does most other stuff I didn't want to invest in another air when I thought I could something more portable.

When I first started out, I had a used, half worn out 10 gallon 110V Craftsman horizontal tank portable air compressor that put out a max of 100PSI. During my time using that compressor, I found that the impact wrench being used with the compressor made all the difference as to whether or not a stubborn nut could be removed or not.

I'd look for a used IR 231 at a pawn shop.

I've seen them for as little as $30.

It's the "industry standard", so there are LOTS of them floating around.

My wife has a very small compressor that she used to run a nail gun with.
110v and light enough for a 100# woman to carry around.

It runs my 232 (the big brother to the 231) just fine. At least long enough to do a wheel's worth of lugs before it needs to charge up.

Funny, what that compressor won't do, is run my cheap, HF 3/8 air ratchet.

If you do get anything air or electric powered from a pawn shop, have then demo it for you. They should have several compressors, so ask to use one similar to yours.

I have a 5HP 22V 20 gallon portable that does the trick that I picked up at Costco many years ago. Just a little light on air capacity for grinding is the only drawback of the 20 gallon tank. Works great for my general auto mechanic needs (wheels, bolts, occasional grinding and painting, ...)

I think the OP already has a compressor...and want's something that won't drag it down.

how about a cordless 1/2" impact ? snap-on and IR both make some strong guns !

I sell Dewalt. They are powerful enough to take lug nuts off my tool truck. tmm

well, I have had good luck with Dewalt soooooooo I bought the dw059 from Lowes. Stay tuned, I will let you know exactly how it takes the punishment.

TMM, I also bought the xrp Batteries. Can any of my Dewalt chargers charge them? And at that can I use any of my 18v batt's?

well, I have had good luck with Dewalt soooooooo I bought the dw059 from Lowes. Stay tuned, I will let you know exactly how it takes the punishment.

TMM, I also bought the xrp Batteries. Can any of my Dewalt chargers charge them? And at that can I use any of my 18v batt's?

If you have Ni Cad xrp's your charger should work. Most of the later model chargers work with many batteries. Lithium batteries and their chargers are different. All the 18v, Ni Cad batteries will interchange. tmm

I like most anything from Ingersoll Rand.

IR 231's were the industry leader for years beating out the CP734 with strength and durability. We (MAC Tools) still sells a version of the 231 gun and it is still a powerful and long lasting tool. I sold many of our patented #234 guns early on in my 24 year career and there are still some of those out there and still working. tmm

-
Back