Which intake for my budget 360 build?

-
Well well well.... I just went to the shop and dug into a box looking for a set of W2 rockers that a local guy is buying... found an LD340 intake. It all came back to me. 15 years ago I sold an 8 3/4 and took this in on partial trade. I may just use this guy. It's a dual plane and hasn't been machined on at all. I have entirely too much stuff I don't use,like many of us. Dust collectors. Seeing what this old stuff is fetching I'll probably just stick it on the bag. I took 10 years off from the hobby and am getting back into it. It's amazing the stuff I grabbed out of junk yards. Those days are gone huh. I appreciate the opinions. Found this on a shelf also tonight for a 273 build that never happened. I guess I became the intake hoarder. Haha.

IMG_9129.JPG

Well well well.... I just went to the shop and dug into a box looking for a set of W2 rockers that a local guy is buying... found an LD340 intake. It all came back to me. 15 years ago I sold an 8 3/4 and took this in on partial trade. I may just use this guy. It's a dual plane and hasn't been machined on at all. I have entirely too much stuff I don't use,like many of us. Dust collectors. Seeing what this old stuff is fetching I'll probably just stick it on the bag. I took 10 years off from the hobby and am getting back into it. It's amazing the stuff I grabbed out of junk yards. Those days are gone huh. I appreciate the opinions. Found this on a shelf also tonight for a 273 build that never happened. I guess I became the intake hoarder. Haha.
View attachment 1715000689
That intake would work just fine for you're trying to do. I'd go with it

It will work, but you definitely DONT have a LD340, it's a small port LD4B

Run it, it will work for what you are doing, the thing I hate about that manifold is it does not have the pads cast for a factory coil bracket.

Nice LD4B!

But I'd still sell it for a 360 build. It's a better choice than the other intakes you already have, for sure. And if you were building a 318 I'd say run it. But if I were you I'd put all 4 of those intakes on eBay and use the proceeds to buy a nice new edelbrock RPM or Air Gap. And you'll get some shelf space back too!

I think I will stick on the LD340..... and try it.

If you have a LD340 you're good to go. It rates right up there with the Performer RPM intakes and will work just fine for it's intended duty.

I was looking for a LD340 intake but had to settle with a Performer RPM intake instead.

Except that's not an LD340, it's an LD4B. Not the same. The LD4B has small ports to match the 318 heads. 360 heads have larger ports.

Still better than any of the single planes for a street car, but it's not an LD340 that rates just below the RPM intakes for horsepower and flow.

Use whichever intake you have that matches the intake ports in the heads. If you have both the LD4B and the LD340 you have two of the best intakes ever made for the small block. Pick the one with the corresponding intake ports, quit wasting time on a forum and go!

Got my performer RPM used off evilbay for $100. Nows the time to go look. Most people are broke because of Christmas. Might be able to score a good deal. Then hold onto the manifolds you want to sell until tax time, then offload em

Got my performer RPM used off evilbay for $100. Nows the time to go look. Most people are broke because of Christmas. Might be able to score a good deal. Then hold onto the manifolds you want to sell until tax time, then offload em
There is also people who think they will make a killing cause its Christmas!lol That Evilbay.

He has both dual plane intakes.

I missed that 2! The LD340 is a no brainer sell the rest. If you still want the RPM I'll swap you mine. I like the LD340 because you can use a spread bore TQ without an adapter!

There is also people who think they will make a killing cause its Christmas!lol That Evilbay.
Very true.
I lurked on the manifold i bought, and hit it with $125 in the final 30 seconds of the auction, it settled in at $100. Last bidder was at $99. I'd say it was a good deal. I sandblasted it, primed and painted it. Looks good.

20150415_182345.jpg

View attachment 1715000799

A few years back, my brother and I tested a '72 Duster with a mild 340 (stock except headers and .474/280 MP cam). Stock converter, 727 and 3.55's. Ran mid 13's at 103 mph.
The test was this: we removed a good working TQ/factory cast intake and installed an LD340 and good working 750 Holley Double pumper. The LD340/Holley ran a tenth and a half faster, mostly showed on the 60 ft. time. MPH stayed the same.

A few years back, my brother and I tested a '72 Duster with a mild 340 (stock except headers and .474/280 MP cam). Stock converter, 727 and 3.55's. Ran mid 13's at 103 mph.
The test was this: we removed a good working TQ/factory cast intake and installed an LD340 and good working 750 Holley Double pumper. The LD340/Holley ran a tenth and a half faster, mostly showed on the 60 ft. time. MPH stayed the same.
That's sounds like the carburetor then the intake:rolleyes:

That's sounds like the carburetor then the intake:rolleyes:
Both carb's ran perfect. If anything, because of lack of tuning accessories for the TQ, the TQ was at a disadvantage. just say'n......

-
Back