• Liberty

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So the ball is rolling on my W9-headed 360 that's going to be shifting at 7,500. I plan and would to keep an A833 in the pickup for originality and just because the pickup is being built for enjoyment. 600 hp is the goal with slicks and a Dana 60. The question is who do I send/order/build my A833 to put behind the 360 that will hold. Clutch tamer will be used so. Passon, Brewers, or Liberty? Who wins?

Christine Picture 3.jpg

So the ball is rolling on my W9-headed 360 that's going to be shifting at 7,500. I plan and would to keep an A833 in the pickup for originality and just because the pickup is being built for enjoyment. 600 hp is the goal with slicks and a Dana 60. The question is who do I send/order/build my A833 to put behind the 360 that will hold. Clutch tamer will be used so. Passon, Brewers, or Liberty? Who wins?

View attachment 1715988569
You said in your last post Dan Brewer was building your A833

You said in your last post Dan Brewer was building your A833
that was the original plan and still not off that route necessarily. Just exploring opinions. I'm always open to constructive criticism and/or opinions. Nothing against Dan at all.

I bought an 833 from Passon, ran it in Duster before I swapped to the T56. Paid my money, transmission arrived quickly and worked as advertised.

It was just a standard rebuilt 833 though, nothing fancy like the what the OP will need.

Last big power I put in a pick-up, customer had to fill tailgate with concrete, - still wouldn't hook ! !
Not my problem, he wanted power !

Liberty has been doing A833s for a long time. Not sure on timeliness with them. And my experience is their not the best customer service. Passon is better. And I haven't heard anything bad about the A833 program. Their A855 5 speed seemed to run into trouble with later builds. Which indicates to me. (Just an indication, no evidence.) That Their tooling may be getting tired with their 5 speed product production. This shouldn't be an issue their shelf A833 builds. I'm also willing to bet they're less expensive than Liberty for very similar builds.

JMO.

correct. None OD. The perfect scenario would be to find a DC case but that'll be tough
What shift linkage will you be using?
I’d be interested in pictures. Or a somewhat detailed explanation of how you go about it.
Since I think the operating levers and shift levers would be different.
I want to put a short tail housing A-body unit in my truck.

I read ALOT of, if not All, of that thread. The attitude and deceit involved are enough for me too Bro. Ain't no Way Man.... if he'll do that to him, he'll do it to You, and me. And him, on down the line
YOU GET what I'm talking about. It wasn't the problem WITH the product. It was the lies and deception they tried to pass off as "customer service". No sir, none of them will get one red cent of mine.

I wouldn't buy a bearing from him.
Agreed. @gagembassett, haven't you read what Passon did to our member @matthon? They screwed him over so badly that I felt his pain. I hate to disagree with @abodyjoe, but the problem with Passon was not that the A855 had problems, it has how they refused to own the problems their transmission was causing Matthon and make it good. I would definitely go with Brewer for a stock rebuild, but with 600HP, I think you are going to need more than a stock transmission. Did you tell Brewers about the 600HP?

Agreed. @gagembassett, haven't you read what Passon did to our member @matthon? They screwed him over so badly that I felt his pain. I hate to disagree with @abodyjoe, but the problem with Passon was not that the A855 had problems, it has how they refused to own the problems their transmission was causing Matthon and make it good. I would definitely go with Brewer for a stock rebuild, but with 600HP, I think you are going to need more than a stock transmission. Did you tell Brewers about the 600HP?
yessir had a full conversation about it with Dan Brewer. He said with the proper clutch setup ( i.e. a clutch tamer, centered iron disk, soft loc, and pressure plate set up correctly. Also said to call Cale at Black Magic Clutches for help) that it would hold behind 700 hp

yessir had a full conversation about it with Dan Brewer. He said with the proper clutch setup ( i.e. a clutch tamer, centered iron disk, soft loc, and pressure plate set up correctly. Also said to call Cale at Black Magic Clutches for help) that it would hold behind 700 hp
Dan is the BEST! About 15 years ago, I converted my 340 Barracuda fastback from an automatic to a 4 speed. I bought a 340 4 speed parts car for $3200. It was advertised as a running, driving car that could be restored. All I wanted was the transmission, shifter, bell housing, pedals, console, etc. I sold the running 340 and parted out the rest of the car and actually pocketed money. When I was done with the conversion, it grinded a bit going into third. I bought a 4 speed rebuild kit from Brewer's and rebuilt my first transmission. I had plenty of information and pictures, and it wasn't really too hard. I did have a few question once, and Dan Brewer took time to talk to me. That was great.

Clutch technologies have certainly improved. I'm running Centerforce 11" diaphragm. This is the first diaphragm style clutch I have used since the 70s and a stock diaphragm in my GTO that I would described less than stellar. The car was purchased with that Centerforce recently installed. I took a peek at one. And it's night to day difference than past. Clutch discussions is a whole other subject matter. But because the pressure plate is 11" vs 10.4" I knew what was suspected before actually viewing. An 18 spline A833.

Jury still out on Centerforce vs 3 finger Borg Beck. But I believe an A833 18 spline with today's multi disk dampening designs can easily handle 600 HP IMO.

Liberty was, and still may still be (though I haven't done business in some time), "the" high rpm race application Chrysler box expert. Turn around time was fast for active racers when I dealt with Joe; I think heard his son runs the business now. Make sure you dial in your bellhousing and use off-set dowels if you need them if you want to catch the gears reliably at that speed and higher.

Liberty was, and still may still be (though I haven't done business in some time), "the" high rpm race application Chrysler box expert. Turn around time was fast for active racers when I dealt with Joe; I think heard his son runs the business now. Make sure you dial in your bellhousing and use off-set dowels if you need them if you want to catch the gears reliably at that speed and higher.

If you call Liberty you want to do so aftrr lunch and ask for Paul.

Brewers for the stock rebuild or Liberty if it is to be face plated. Better yet just do it yourself. There just isn't a lot inside these transmissions. 16 input shaft rollers, 72 cluster shaft rollers + 4 spacers, syncho rings, 4 snap rings, 2 bearings, extension housing bushing, and gaskets. If you are going to beat on it you might as well learn how to fix it right out of the gate.

-
Back