Why I don’t let others drive my race car

-
I caught my son letting his friend drive my car, when they pulled in the garage I told the kid to call his mom and tell her he was not coming home, ever!

I used to keep a list on my wall reminding me of some of the times I got screwed loaning tools.

after renting a cherry picker for four years back in the late 1970’s early 1980’s I finally bought one. When a buddy borrowed it I instructed him that after he installed the engine jack the hoist up don’t push the arm up. Well he pushed the arm up and it got air in the cylinder and leaked down after that everytime I used it.

a friend borrowed my brand new in the box winch and shived the cable using it to put his compressor in his attic.
Another friend broke the gauge on my radiator pressure checker

another friend borrowed my spark plug wire building tool and I had to go to his house 6 months later to pick it up.

I don’t even want to get into stuff I’ve supplied guys with at the race track asking only that it be replaced so I had it when needed.
Etc, etc, etc. it gets old after awhile. I can’t afford giving out 6.00 oil and transmission fluid and grade 8 bolts anymore that I bought for my racing program.

Don't any of these barrowers pay for what they break? You could bet your *** if I broke something I barrowed I'd have cash in hand to replace it.

The best is when you loan out a tool and ask for it back and find that they’ve loaned it out.
HE JUST MADE THE LIST.

Don't any of these barrowers pay for what they break? You could bet your *** if I broke something I barrowed I'd have cash in hand to replace it.

Not in my case. They didn’t offer and I didn’t ask. I forgot one that really really pissed me off. I had a favorite timing light that I really really trusted. A good friend asked if he could borrow it at the track and against my better judgment loaned it to him. This guy is a college educated mechanical engineer so he isn’t an idiot but I nicely told him to please make sure the wires weren’t laying on his headers. Yep he melted those damn wires like he tried his hardest to do it on purpose. He bought me another used one off eBay and gave it to me. I just bought a new one a month ago so my search for a timing light I trust is starting all over again.

There is only one friend that I will loan tools to or borrow from, known each other for almost our entire lives. I know that I can trust him and vice versa. I have had his parts washer for a couple of years now, mostly because he has no room for it, he has borrowed my engine crane, and some of my power tools. We have a key for each other's garages so there's never been any problem.

I grew up at a Chrysler Dealer, I don't loan tools. I might do something for you, but tools are simply not loaned.

Not me, there is no reason the person who was kind enough to let me borrow something has to run down to lowes, or Harbour freight or the snap-on truck to replace what I broke

If I borrow it and I break it, I will be the one who goes out to buy a replacement

I fear traffic vs track (or no public road.) I have a 10 sec Duster that I have others drive. Now it's not a 7 sec killer like Shocker. But fast enough to get you in trouble if you don't respect.

But my 13 sec street GTX? They don't get to drive. They have their own cars.

I have let my daughter race both of my cars, and couple of times the cars are a lot faster than anything she has driven, but i trust her driving skills.

This is my rarest tool !
3B7AB258-2677-4C2C-A558-09D3F29562F9.jpeg

Its the one I loaned out AND got back !

This is my rarest tool !
View attachment 1715894702

Its the one I loaned out AND got back !
I engrave all my tools, including power tools. Special items like mag wheels or other desirable parts are also engraved or stamped. My son owns a "Red Eye" Dodge. I do not want to drive it, because I would want to use the second key and do not trust myself or others on the street with it. My thought on loaning out tools is people think after a week or two the tool is theirs. I always ask when they will return the tool, write the date down and ask them on that date or time for it. Sometimes they may say they have not used it yet and I still ask for it back and tell them when they are ready to use it, I will loan it to them again. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. I was almost burnt once and lost a old friend over it. It's just a good way to keep friends honest.

Having a truck people are constantly asking " Hey can I borrow your truck" My reply is ALWAYS " NO" I didn't pay $55k for my truck so you can move your couch!!!

Gotta have "buddy insurance" on the car before loaning it... aka remote c4 charge under driver seat for the slim chance he wrecks it.
"Yeah it was a total loss....but he had a blast..."

Last edited:
I worked with a "friend" doing construction work. I left my framing square in his car for about 6 months and I saw him and said "can I get my square out of your car..." he said "That's not your square I don't know here your square is..." I said "neverminded keep it..." it was like I left it past the expiration date where I could get it back. people are strange, always been...

I always ask when they will return the tool, write the date down and ask them on that date or time for it. Sometimes they may say they have not used it yet and I still ask for it back and tell them when they are ready to use it, I will loan it to them again. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. I was almost burnt once and lost a old friend over it. It's just a good way to keep friends honest.
same here, had it happen just a few weeks ago

my brother in law asked to borrow my jack, and 14 days later i asked him if he was done with it
he said, no i havent started yet, the weather hasnt been good enough

hows that my problem?

he should have thought of that before he borrowed it, or better yet, not have bought a vehicle he coudlnt fit in his garage

-
Back