Why is it so hard to find

-

williaml

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge Dart 225 slant 6. I just had the engine and transmission rebuilt. The radiator works fine around town on the highway by the gauge it seems like it is running hot. The engine didn't spew any antifreeze. I have a new thermostat, water pump, new hoses, etc. the radiator seems to be a hard one to replace both the inlet and outlet on passenger side. I measured it across 19" X 18" is that the stock rad? The fan is a four blade fan with a new belt. I want to get a new radiator but no one has one.....I thought maybe it wasn't the correct rad but everything lines up perfectly.

Thanks to all who read and answer...

What are you using for a gauge ? The stock gauge isn't a good indictor especially when its 40 yrs old.

Take it to a local radiator shop and have it either de-soldered and rodded or have it re-cored. TE first method should cost about $75 or less and the latter about $200 at a decent shop (my experience from 12 years ago).

A while ago, I even ripped out my Toyota radiator and since I already planned to pay for a new one, I figured to try to rod it on my own since there is no core charge for a new radiator. Well, after desoldering the bottom, I used an old oil dipstick to rod the tubes and then resoldered it back together with a torch. Tested it for leaks before reinstalling and saved the cost of a new radiator! If you are "handy", you may even try this yourself!

Good luck.

I had a temp over problem in my cuda,car sat a while while I was doing resto...replaced thermo,and radiator problem persisted......tried a new gauge problem solved.....expensive lesson learned LOL

Cheers

Agree.Start by hooking up a cheapo aftermarket guage,drive it normally.Start with the cheap stuff first.

This thread is not what I thought it was gonna be.

I was going share how I used to have the same problem listed In the title but after losing a few pounds, I looked down and there it was!

You can get a radiator cap w/ built-in temperature gage on ebay cheap. If it isn't boiling over, you have no problem, just a concern. You won't hurt a slant by boiling over (did that many times). Cast iron heads are very forgiving.

If and when you do need a new radiator:

1. Your 65 should have a 22"W opening. They might have put a narrower radiator with a filler plate in it, like they did in later years. Even if you have a 19" opening like earlier Darts, I would use a 22"W radiator. 18"H is standard for all years. You measure just the core dimensions, not the tanks and brackets. There were some 19" H Mopar radiators in B or E bodies, but slightly too tall for our cars.

2. My 65 Dart has a radiator for a ~1971 Dart from Autozone. You can see it in my avatar. That was the first year they listed. It has a 1-1/2" lower tube on the passenger side, which is correct for a slant. The tube isn't angled, like most slant rads, but should work. I have a 273 in that car, but an alum water pump so the tube matches, though I use a rubber bushing to get to the 1.75" D of the water pump.

3. My 64 Valiant slant has a radiator of unknown source, but it works. Certainly not original since a rectangular upper tank that is narrower than the later Mopar "square tops". The lower hose that works for me is Goodyear 60664 or Dayton 70776. It bends behind the alternator belt just right. Indeed, that same hose also works as the upper hose in my small block and big block cars.

use a laser thermometer gun and gun the thermostat housing at running temp, that right there would tell you what running temp is. i want to say factory stats were 180's, my 66 had a 195 and the gauge always seemed high. i also had a radiator from a 74 slant 6 car. the 2 upper mounting bolt holes need re-drilled, but its a nice fit and has the square tanks that are less prone to blowing out then the earlier rounded tanks.

I used the wife's digital meat thermometer, put it in the fill and started the car and compared the thermometer to the gauge. Gauge was 3/4 towards hot when coolant was actually 190. Did the same to all my cars and the old gauges are all reading different at 190.

If you want a new radiator and don't mind going with an aluminum one, Champion Cooling offers a unit for you. The EC1635 or CC1635 is made to fit your car.

I am a dealer for them and sell the EC1635 (2-row version) for $189 + $25 shipping (within USA). The CC1635 (3-row version) is $209 + $25 shipping (within USA).

If you want to see the full specs on this unit go to

http://www.championcooling.com/Catalog Online/CHAMPION.CATALOG.htm

then click on the link at the bottom for 1635

Attachments

• rad 1635.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 266
Yep, the $5.00 meat thermometer is the easiest way to check. Get it warmed up, make sure the stat has opened, then pop the cap & test. Many times the stock gauge is just off.

If you want a new radiator and don't mind going with an aluminum one, Champion Cooling offers a unit for you. The EC1635 or CC1635 is made to fit your car.

I am a dealer for them and sell the EC1635 (2-row version) for $189 + $25 shipping (within USA). The CC1635 (3-row version) is $209 + $25 shipping (within USA).

If you want to see the full specs on this unit go to

http://www.championcooling.com/Catalog Online/CHAMPION.CATALOG.htm

then click on the link at the bottom for 1635
That radiator will not work with a slant six. The lower hose is on the wrong side. I would love to find a aftermarket radiator that fits a 66 or older slant six.

Buy a candy cane thermometer, the ones used for baking, like melting chocolate n stuff. It is specific for liquids rather than the one mentioned above for meats. They are pretty accurate.

yeah I thought I had a over heating problem till I checked the actual temperature with a temperature gun and wow it was running where it's suppose to be. This was after redoing the radiator...new thermostat...flushing...waterpump. Not that it hurt to go thru everything but....I am putting in a new gauge this year.

Yep, the $5.00 meat thermometer is the easiest way to check. Get it warmed up, make sure the stat has opened, then pop the cap & test. Many times the stock gauge is just off.

so open it hot

-
Back