windage tray yay or nay?

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
The 360 core I got recently didn't use a windage tray and I wanted to know if I should invest in one or not. It's for a mild daily driver with an 1800 - 4800 redline at 6000 crower cam. My machinist said to spend the money elsewhere on the engine. What's YOUR opinion. Thanks!

It frees up horsepower with one. However a better option would be a crank scraper, it does a MUCH better job. I have an up and down stroke (Teflon bladed) crank scraper and a stud girdle in my 340.

Key words in your post "mild daily driver", your machinist is right. If this was a race engine then by all means install one. If you are not racing this car then I would put the money elsewhere.

A windage tray is designed keep the oil from being sucked up from the vortex created by the crank spinning, which can rob horsepower in a high performance application.

If your intent is to just drive the car as a cruiser with the occasional romp, I would say you are OK without it.

Only you can decide really, it's your budget.

I would do it.
Then you can brag that you have one, and it's worth 10 horsepower!
Seriously, it's not a bad idea to install one, but you probably don't need it for your application.

If it was good enough for daily drivers from Mopar, then its good enough for me.
It apparantly was important enough to install in the 340 & Hi-Perf 360, that it was included.
Can you imagine what the bean counters could have with the money that was spent on the windage trays.
Tell your machinist that this isn't a chevy you are working on.

If it was good enough for daily drivers from Mopar, then its good enough for me.
It apparantly was important enough to install in the 340 & Hi-Perf 360, that it was included.
Can you imagine what the bean counters could have with the money that was spent on the windage trays.
Tell your machinist that this isn't a chevy you are working on.

I agree. And it wasn't just a simple matter of the tray. They require special hardware and a certain amount of additional assembly line time. These were not a "50 cent" additon to the engine.

they are cheap and they do give some power. maybe not 10 but more like 4 or 5. it also helps control the oil and keeps it off the crank at high rpm. but it helps to put the oil back into the oil pan so it can be reused and you don't pick up air bubbles in the oiling system (far more important then the power increase). 340 s even though a daily driver was advertised to 6000 rpms. so to control oil and ya a bit of extra power they were installed from the factory.(who want to warranty a engine because your burning up bearings and they said it was ok in there adds from evacuating the oil pan) you can find them at car shows for really cheap. i say put one in.

I say yes: Was reading Mopar Action and came across this for a RB/B motor, thought it was cool from JEGS Part # 502000 or 502001 for stroker. Wish I would have seen it when I was building my motor. I assume they make them for small blocks?

Get the windage tray. They are inexpensive and will do the job when needed during your play around time with the car.

I say yes: Was reading Mopar Action and came across this for a RB/B motor, thought it was cool from JEGS Part # 502000 or 502001 for stroker. Wish I would have seen it when I was building my motor. I assume they make them for small blocks?

Wow, thanks guys! I do have a lead foot and this is a .60 overbore so I'll be getting one since the expense is justified :D

Anyone run a mopar 273,318,340,360 windage tray? There werent any instructions and im stumped by the washers that it came with, does one of them go in under the main bolt or are they supposed to go on top of it? I put one on top and since the diameter of the washer is bigger than the bolt it starts to bend it down and kind of looks shady.

Thanks,
Jake

The small washers go on top of the windage tray.

Windage tray ----> washers ---> Bolts

From what I understand, they do a better job of keeping the oil wrapped around the crank, instead of removing it.

Anyone run a mopar 273,318,340,360 windage tray? There werent any instructions and im stumped by the washers that it came with, does one of them go in under the main bolt or are they supposed to go on top of it? I put one on top and since the diameter of the washer is bigger than the bolt it starts to bend it down and kind of looks shady.

Thanks,
Jake

What engine are you installing the windage tray in? 1/2 in washers go under the main cap bolts. Two under each main cap bolt if 273 or 318. No washers if 340 or 360. Then just the smaller bolts with attached washers hold the tray to the special main cap bolts.

I would not put an engine together without a windage tray. 273, 383, 170, or 2.0 Neon.

I would say nay...I don't even run one on my race motor, let alone a daily driver.

I would say nay...I don't even run one on my race motor, let alone a daily driver.
the hemi`s came from the factory w/ them. the 440 I built my 505 out of had one from the factory, it came out of a bone stock 1967 Chrysler. I have a stud girdle and a windage tray in the engine now, not sure how well the tray works w/ the girdle tho !

Windage tray and a roadrace pan, goes 7000plus all day every day. No not all day long.Its a streeter after all, not an old Nascar engine.What I mean is whenever the mood strikes me between sunrise and sunset.That little 360 sounds so sweet screaming through the Dynomaxers and dual 3 inch pipes, I can hardly stand not to hit it as often as I dare.

Mom MoPar used them on the small blocks and dyno'd them at a 15HP increase. This was mimicked by 2 different rags on there small block builds. Brand X rags have also used windage trays to there advantage as well. While they didn't build a MoPar engine in there brand x world, they did install a Milodon set up as well as other custom set up to control oil.

Bakerlite quips about them doing a better job on keeping oil wrapped up around the crank.
Hi volume pumps aren't needed for this problem. The windage trays louvers should be opened up. Sustained high rpm ( and not a low 5500 rpm ) can load up the area. While there is a lot of room, take a good look under the tray and rotate the crank. There's a lot of busy going on and at high speeds.

Get the oil out!

The baffle also stop the oil from being "Wind Whipped" from the crank making this "Wind" from rotating around. Like a tornado, viscous wind will pick up a house and the oil sloshing around is no different.
The tray stops the wind from entering the oil pan.

Anything that keeps the windage down, controlled and the oil as oil and not a foam from taking a pounding, is a good thing. You just have to decide for yourself if it is cost effective for you.

I don't see much use for it on a low rpm daily driver myself, but it can't hurt ether!

Installation cost vs power increase.. Yes and your correct, those trays do need modification.

I thought the windage tray kept the crank from whipping up/holding the oil, starving the pump? That in turn made the crank lighter and stopped the oil from dragging on the crank. Now that I think of it, it seems a good practice to use one although I dont have one as I have a 4" stroke crank. I really like the valley baffle myself. It keeps oil down off the intake and prevents you tossing a lifter if a pushrod breaks, preventing you "windowing" the pressurized lifter galley and keeping your oil pressure. Do they make a stroker windage tray or a spacer kit? remember the 4 special main bolts needed.

Pista, you are correct. However the factory windage tray will benifit from the opening of the louvers. Even if that is done, the area to the side of the openings could get a little thick with oil. I say could! Since oil gets thinner when hot, a thicker heavier weight oil that isn't hot will lay thicker on any surface. Add a high volume oil pump and sustained high rev's... You could actually puddle oil on top of the tray.

Take note to how close the tray is to the rotating assembly. Real close ain't it! Now imagine the above description of thick cold oil being heaped on top of the windage tray.
OK, this will probably never happen to 99% of the people here.

Milodon has a different tray set up for HP/racing useage. Deeper pans and the such get used in there respective places of automotive fun and show advantages.

-
Back