-
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt340sport

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
Can window trim be sanded and buffed , is it real stainless or not . Anybody ever tried this , i have a few pieces that have have some slight sand scratchs on them, might get another set and try this if it will work.

Reveal moldings are stainless. It can be polished but it's quite the chore. Google restoring stainless for more info.

Real stainless can be polished out like new again. We grind it, sand it with various paper starting rough and ending with 1500. Then take 0000 steel wool to clean it up. Finally buff or polish it out with compond or your favorite polish. There are companys out there that can take a wadded piece of chrome and repair it to where you will think it's new.

Real stainless can be polished out like new again. We grind it, sand it with various paper starting rough and ending with 1500. Then take 0000 steel wool to clean it up. Finally buff or polish it out with compond or your favorite polish. There are companys out there that can take a wadded piece of chrome and repair it to where you will think it's new.

Have any suggestions? I bent one of my 68 rear window pieces which if made straight would then allow me to sell a whole set.

I have been doing this for years. It comes out amazing if you have the right stuff. Started out with just a cloth wheel on my grinder, and one stick of rouge a long time ago.

More recently, I bought all the supplies and the $500 buffing machine from Eastwood. Pretty handy to have around, but I doubt if I use it much anymore.

Wear gloves and be careful not to let the buffing wheel grab it and sling it across the garage.

LMAO

Be certain that you've got stainless steel trim , not that cheap-o anode-ised ( "anodized" ) aluminum trim .
Easiest way to tell : if the trim looks "foggy" ( like oxidised paint ) then it's that crap-*** "anodized" aluminum .

The switch from superior stainless to grotesque aluminum happened around 1973 ( perhaps a little later ) with full-on cheapness happening by c.1978 .

The backlight ( rear window ) trim on my '72 Coronet was replaced at one point in its life with that anodized garbage ; the drip trough and windshield trim is the correct , factory-issue stainless .

I don't know what would be easier / better :
- Chrome plate that aluminum trim
- Restore it and re-anodize it

a piece of advice, When doing this type of trim place in on a 1x1 or 1x2 to help keep it rigid. Secure with blue tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back