Windshield gasket

-

mnmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,

There is good and bad things about owning an oddball. I have been trying to find a windshield gasket and lockstrip for my 64 Valiant convertible. Steele has the strip but no one seems to have the gasket. Has anyone located a source? tired Precision, Steele without success.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

If you can't find one, you might be able to salvage your old one if it's not torn. It takes a lot of elbow grease and solvent, but the originals are tough and beneath all that sealant, polish, paint and dried surface I found a soft, pliable rubber that looked like new.

I used lacquer thinner and it seemed to cut everything that was on the surface, albeit slowly. I used a flat screwdriver the width of the glass slot to scrape out old sealant that was softened by the solvent. It took perhaps three or four hours, a pint of solvent and several old towels to get mine really clean but it was much cheaper than a new one and after three years still looks good.

You can buy them on ebay. Remember that the repopped ones does not have the fit a convertible requires. You need to att some extra material to get a tight fit. So if you can re-use your old one I would take that trip!

Thought I would follow up on this thread. I ended up getting a gasket that was for the 64 Valiant from Atlas Obsolete Parts. $200. I eyeballed it when it arrived and it looked probable. Knowing my limitations, I search locally for a glass guy that worked on old iron. Found Ron of Ron's Auto Glass (http://www.ronsautoglassmn.com/classic-car-auto-glass-gallery.html). Ron scheduled around me, came over and with some work got it to fit perfectly.

Ron was a great guy to work with if you ever need glass in the twin cities.

Thank you all for your advice!

Attachments

• DSC_0672.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0676.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0670.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0675.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0698.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 191