With so many changes next year here’s the NHRA race schedule.

-
I used to try to watch the NHRA events when they were broadcast on Sunday's finals. NHRA, NASCAR, both did everything they could to keep MOPARS from being competitive with the bowtie cars. Don't watch anymore.

I used to try to watch the NHRA events when they were broadcast on Sunday's finals. NHRA, NASCAR, both did everything they could to keep MOPARS from being competitive with the bowtie cars. Don't watch anymore.
Same with Nascar also !!
Go support a local track operator probably have a better time there anyway !!!

I record and watch every NHRA race. I’ll watch it later in the day so I Dont have to hear about John Forces dog. Fast forward is your friend.

At 330 mph you are traveling 1 foot in.00444545 seconds, so you travel 320 feet in 1.42255 seconds.

Yeah that extra 320 feet is going to do you alot good Fred Flintstone.

Maybe you can get an ocean liner anchor to put in your car. Put things into the proper perspective dumb ***.
hey dumb ***, they were going 338 prior to 2008.
so the current speeds aren’t any faster than they were forever.

Draglist.com TOPFUEL Fastest Quarter Mile Speeds

I read a interview with the owners of the Denver track and they stated they were going to build a new track but were going to take 2024 off. Hopefully they don't get lazy on there year off and go through with there plans for a new track in the area.

On my son's Facebook he posted us racing Las Vegas Street Outlaws
in out Scamp and whooping them. Single carb Indy big Block = no power
adders. I do not condone Street Racing but we do it when we are bored between
racing NHRA.

Yup, there are two race dates on the 2024 schedule with TBD locations, one being the new Flying H dragway. I also sense that a national event may be returning to Virginia Motorsports Park to fill an open date, at least until the Bandimere family builds the new track in the Denver area as they have stated is their plan.

I record and watch every NHRA race. I’ll watch it later in the day so I Dont have to hear about John Forces dog. Fast forward is your friend.
I've always loved watching drag races, but when you're a MOPAR guy, it's no fun watching the bowties racing each other. Pro Stock has always been my favorite category, so, as I said, I don't get any satisfaction watching Chevy against Chevy, or maybe a Ford or 2. If NHRA would quit bowing down to the Chevy or Ford teams, I could get interested again. Check back through the history of NHRA and you will find there is a very definite bias against MOPARS. Rules are made to give Chevy and Ford competitive advantages.

I've always loved watching drag races, but when you're a MOPAR guy, it's no fun watching the bowties racing each other. Pro Stock has always been my favorite category, so, as I said, I don't get any satisfaction watching Chevy against Chevy, or maybe a Ford or 2. If NHRA would quit bowing down to the Chevy or Ford teams, I could get interested again. Check back through the history of NHRA and you will find there is a very definite bias against MOPARS. Rules are made to give Chevy and Ford competitive advantages.

In pro stock they are generic engines. They aren’t Chevy, ford, or Mopar. The day of walking into your dealer to buy pro stock parts are long gone. I follow drivers in pro stock and usually fast forward till the last two rounds if my driver is still in.

In pro stock they are generic engines. They aren’t Chevy, ford, or Mopar. The day of walking into your dealer to buy pro stock parts are long gone. I follow drivers in pro stock and usually fast forward till the last two rounds if my driver is still in.
Back when Allen Johnson and a few others were running pro stock, they were running hemi's, and their torque range is higher than the chevy engines, so setting the torque limit at 10,000 rpms took away the advantage the hemi has above 10,000. At least as I understand it.

Back when Allen Johnson and a few others were running pro stock, they were running hemi's, and their torque range is higher than the chevy engines, so setting the torque limit at 10,000 rpms took away the advantage the hemi has above 10,000. At least as I understand it.

But it wasn’t a Hemi that you could walk in a dealership and buy. They were a totally different animal.

But it wasn’t a Hemi that you could walk in a dealership and buy. They were a totally different animal.
Obviously they aren't available in any vehicle that can be purchased at a dealership, I'm just saying that it's the best racing engine if it's allowed to work in it's peak torque range. I hate watching a Chevy racing another Chevy for the Pro Stock class. Everyone already knows it's gonna be a Chevy that's gonna win. That's not a competition, that's a foregone conclusion.

Read this and you will understand that even a Chevy engine isn’t a Chevy engine. And this is an old article so imagine how bad it is now. I to don’t follow pro stock like I used to but I will usually watch the last two rounds if someone I like is still in. It could go away tomorrow and I wouldn’t miss it.

Inside Warren Johnson's Pro Stock Engine! - Hot Rod Engine Tech

Read this and you will understand that even a Chevy engine isn’t a Chevy engine. And this is an old article so imagine how bad it is now. I to don’t follow pro stock like I used to but I will usually watch the last two rounds if someone I like is still in. It could go away tomorrow and I wouldn’t miss it.

Inside Warren Johnson's Pro Stock Engine! - Hot Rod Engine Tech
I know some things are different now as compared to when this article was written, specifically, WJ is retired from racing. I'm reasonably sure a lot of the engine specs are the same, but there are some changes. No drag engine is an off the shelf engine. So much testing are modifications are continuous endeavors to create the ultimate engine. I understand that, but it's more to the fact that NHRA has, at least in my opinion, made the rules Chevy friendly, and targeted the MOPAR teams with the restrictions placed on the Hemi engines. It's sorta like when I was a young guy, the Chevy teams were running Vegas with small block engines, the Ford teams were running Pintos with small block engines, and the MOPAR teams were running Dusters and Demons with Hemis. The Chevys had to carry, if I remember correctly, 6 pounds per cubic inch, the Fords had to carry 6.5 per cubic inch, and the MOPAR had to carry 7 pounds per cubic inch. So doing the math, a 350 Chevy would have to weigh 2100 pounds, the Ford would weigh 2281.5, and the MOPARs would weigh 2,982 pounds, based on a 426 Hemi. Lighter means faster, so the MOPAR teams were penalized from the start. Ford and Chevy had body styles that were comparable to the preferred MOPAR bodies. My frustration is that the rules for pro stock have always favored Chevy and/or Ford. By the way, that was a very interesting article, but way over my head.

Ya but you said it yourself small blocks to big blocks. Don’t forget about Bob Gliddon with the small block Arrow.

The good side of hitting the tree was I made the Cover of Hot Rod
and the entire back page. Plus the Cover of Car Craft and the entire
center two pages. I will never be that Famous again and it only cost me
three broken ribs and almost a month pulling the frame and replacing the
Cab and front clip on the truck!

My friend and machinist back then Dave Smith ran a Starfire in
Pro Stock. It had an Oldsmobile engine at 6 Lbs per cubic inches and was pretty competitive
on the West Coast. He did all the development on it himself and did my machine work back then.
as well. Back then (50 year ago) a regular working guy could at least qualify if he was dedicated and worked hard
enough on his race car!

Ya but you said it yourself small blocks to big blocks. Don’t forget about Bob Gliddon with the small block Arrow.
Yep, forgot about him. I don't know if he was very successful or not, and I know Don Carlton was testing a small block colt and die in a test run crash at Bristol. I happened to be working a construction job in Bristol the day that happened. Broke my heart to hear about it.

Last edited:
Yep, forgot about him. I don't know if he was very successful or not, and I know Don Carlton was testing a small block colt and die in a test run crash at Bristol. I happened to be working a construction job in Bristol the day that happened. Broke my heart to hear about it.

With a performance like that, one would assume that Ford would do anything in its power to keep Glidden happy, but when the then three-time champion approached Ford for additional sponsorship money, the automaker balked. Plymouth wasted no time in stepping up to the plate, and for the 1979 season Glidden found himself behind the wheel of a Pro Stock Plymouth Arrow. Despite his inexperience with the car and its drivetrain, Glidden lost just three national events over the entire season, posting seven national event wins for the second season in a row. The performance was more than good enough to earn Glidden his fourth title, and he returned with his Plymouth Arrow in 1980.

John Force and Bob Glidden

John Force and Bob Glidden in 2005. Autostock photo, courtesy of Ford Motor Company.

Unlike the previous season, where Glidden had dominated the field in Pro Stock, 1980 was anything but a walk in the park. Heading into the Winston Finals in October, Glidden trailed points leader Lee Shepherd by two rounds, and likely would have lost the title had Shepherd's transmission not failed in the second round. Though the margin of victory wasn't what Glidden had grown accustomed to, it was still enough to produce his fifth championship

FD706B98-8412-494B-AD7A-8AF5378C2E57.jpeg

With a performance like that, one would assume that Ford would do anything in its power to keep Glidden happy, but when the then three-time champion approached Ford for additional sponsorship money, the automaker balked. Plymouth wasted no time in stepping up to the plate, and for the 1979 season Glidden found himself behind the wheel of a Pro Stock Plymouth Arrow. Despite his inexperience with the car and its drivetrain, Glidden lost just three national events over the entire season, posting seven national event wins for the second season in a row. The performance was more than good enough to earn Glidden his fourth title, and he returned with his Plymouth Arrow in 1980.

View attachment 1716144844

John Force and Bob Glidden in 2005. Autostock photo, courtesy of Ford Motor Company.

Unlike the previous season, where Glidden had dominated the field in Pro Stock, 1980 was anything but a walk in the park. Heading into the Winston Finals in October, Glidden trailed points leader Lee Shepherd by two rounds, and likely would have lost the title had Shepherd's transmission not failed in the second round. Though the margin of victory wasn't what Glidden had grown accustomed to, it was still enough to produce his fifth championship

View attachment 1716144843
Thanks for that. I think that period of time, I was busy trying to make a living to support a family, plus didn't have access to those events, no cable TV where I lived. What engine was in the Arrow?

Thanks for that. I think that period of time, I was busy trying to make a living to support a family, plus didn't have access to those events, no cable TV where I lived. What engine was in the Arrow?

Based off the 340 I’m guessing but they played with stroke a lot. I’m guessing he’s a big Part of the development of the W2 head. Pretty interesting stuff in old books about what they did to heads.

-
Back