Workforce now days ? Is it just me ?

-

jimmer

Reaction score
As a general contractor , I can't seem to find reliable workers ?
Most have lost the attitude of gratitude !!
The world owes them a favor !
They don't want to put in the time !!
They haven't learned more , but expect to earn more !
Most miss more days in a month then I miss in ten years ?

I've almost given up !!
Not sure what to do ?

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Not sure where to look for help ?
Craigslist seems like a joke pretty much loaded with flakes !!

Contact a few churches in your area. Most of them have pastors who are in touch with members who are out of work. That is what I would do.

I thought about that , but have not acted .
Thanks !!
I will try that !!
Contact a few churches in your area. Most of them have pastors who are in touch with members who are out of work. That is what I would do.

I work for HEB, and started in overnight grocery stocking six years ago. Minimum cases count for an overnight stocker is 85 cases per hour. I lost 30 pounds the first month. Some store's starting pay is as high as $15/hr, plus we have great benefits and company matched 401k. Two years ago they GAVE us company stock....and we can't find good help either! About 1 in 20 new hires last six months, and each applicant costs about $1000 to get them through the training and hiring process.

I stuck it out and now am Head of Receiving for a large store.

Last edited:
This is the end result of a society that expects everything right now.
An economy built on credit, not savings.
Add on a majority off the current workforce expects everything handed to them.
My thoughts. If you got it for nothing it's worth nothing.
Down the slippery slope we ride.

Not sure about your line of work OP but I employed I think no more than 20 when things were ramped up when I owned my Biz. For basic general labor it was either through Networking or even a solid representative with a temp agency. It worked out pretty good however I was fair with pay and firm on expectations. But it took a while to put the package together and maybe I got lucky.

I enforced a no Cellphone use policy during working hours. In my line of work if you played with your phone nothing was getting done. It pissed off a few, got a few fired, and even ended relationships with friends that convinced me to let their kids work for me..... But I stuck with it and made it work....

Good luck OP,
JW

There's ,....some truth....

I've almost given up !!
Not sure what to do ?

Agreement... Is there a local high school/ college / trade school with actual construction trade training...?

What are ya paying? I know plenty of younger kids that will work. But if paying poverty level ya can't expect much in my opinion.

good luck. I've not had much luck finding people to hire also. About ready to retire, mostly because of that.

I've almost given up !!
Not sure what to do ?

This may sound way out there to some, and may not work in your industry, however when I had my manufacturing co. I hired people from the work release program at the county Jail. There are those that just did something stupid and got their *** thrown in jail but are not bad people. Just have to interview and find out about them. They will show up for work every day and work hard to stay on the program. Actually hired a few full time after the paid their dues.

This is one of the hazards of a good economy. I'm working my *** off and have been for the last couple years. We can't find help because the good help already has a job. What's left is the bottom of the barrel.

This is one of the hazards of a good economy. I'm working my *** off and have been for the last couple years. We can't find help because the good help already has a job. What's left is the bottom of the barrel.
I absolutely disagree with you !!
It was not like this 20 years ago when things were way better !!
Atleaat 70 percent of the work I do is for retired or people on a fixed income .
I'm sorry but please go post somewhere else !!
The problems are much deeper !!
Trophies for all hand outs,
Programs ect !!

IMO this is just another side of what is going on in this country today. Parents have not taught their kids manners, how to work, why and when to stay off the %m!" cell phones.
Example: I had a young man(?) on one of my construction crews that asked if he was going to get a raise when his review came up in several weeks. I told he that would be decided based on his review. During his review, I told he had not earned a raise yet. He told me to give him the raise and then he would earn it. A few months later he was fired for breaking lots of company rules that were al safety issues.
Mike

What are ya paying? I know plenty of younger kids that will work. But if paying poverty level ya can't expect much in my opinion.
Thanks for inserting your opinion ,
Even though you don't have a clue !!
I'm a very fair man and reward hard work !!

For the record my pay scale for employees is 15-35 hr depending on skills !!!

I agree with that in general....

I'm a 57 year old with arthritis, working as a custodian. I outwork my 22 year old coworker on a daily basis. We did a fair amount of physical work yesterday, so today he called in sick, and I'm here with my aches and pains working alone.
He thinks he should get great pay for little work.

Agreement... Is there a local high school/ college / trade school with actual construction trade training...?
One thing that is difficult is I do so many different things it takes time to learn it all or even enough to cut a person loose .
So it costs me quite a bit before someone can actually not become a hardship .
I understand the process .
The last guy I made the mistake of bumping his wage from 16-18 hr because he had a good attitude !
From there it was all down hill !!
In the end he told me he was not gonna push a broom the rest of his life !!
I thought he had potential ?
As I said he lost the attitude of gratitude !!!
I'm going to call a local church and talk to a pastor I know and see if he knows anyone , as suggested .

I already knew what I thought about this matter !!
I wanted to hear others thoughts .
Truly most echo the truth and what I thought !!
I have experienced the same outworking guys less then half my age .
I started in drywall in 1989 , I
truly hate it (lol) did every aspect of it for many years .oh wait I still do it , just not as much as before !
All joking aside I'm truly thankful to have the skills and thankful I can still do it !!!
Really have been trying to find the right guy to groom and make my right hand man .
I'm not over the hill but I'm no spring chicken and my body feels the hard miles !!
I do have a class a cdl ( another drywall benifit when I stocked it )
So when or if the time comes , I'll get behind the wheel !!
For now I need an apprentice !!

Thanks for all the replies !!
Most the people on here are top notch , and they like mopars !!
You all deserve a raise !!!

I'm a 57 year old with arthritis, working as a custodian. I outwork my 22 year old coworker on a daily basis. We did a fair amount of physical work yesterday, so today he called in sick, and I'm here with my aches and pains working alone.
He thinks he should get great pay for little work.
me too a baby boomer. yes I have seen and been in this s ame deal..... I feel my general, in general, was taught different set of values and standards. i have always worked unless it was a rare occasion i was too sick to hold my head up...
i recently moved to s e t. 45 minutes from Houston. i have to wonder if there will be ANY population or workforce here, if Trump sends back the illegals? not trying to get into politics.

I think it will only get worst. I can even find a kid that can use a damn lawn mower because Mom + Dad spoil the **** out of them and they don`t know how to wipe there own asses anymore.

i don't blame the kids coming up, i blame the parents, and sometimes THEIR parents. too many people raised priveledged and never seen any "hardtime". my parents were older when i came along in 1948. they went thru the great depression as young adults. it instill a value in their brain. as a family we knew what work was and what it mean to be grateful for food on the table a nd a job.
i turned sixteen, they GAVE me a 49 chevy SO i could get to MY job after school and 12 hours EVERY sat. at the grocery store. i paid for ALL i needed and wanted. i learned manner, hard work, value of a $, to clean MY plate and be thankful to God for what we ad. i am still thankful to God.
rant over. ha

me too a baby boomer. yes I have seen and been in this s ame deal..... I feel my general, in general, was taught different set of values and standards. i have always worked unless it was a rare occasion i was too sick to hold my head up...
i recently moved to s e t. 45 minutes from Houston. i have to wonder if there will be ANY population or workforce here, if Trump sends back the illegals? not trying to get into politics.
There is plenty of able bodied non illegals !
They just don't want to work !!
They have been taught there is no consequence !!!
It's someone else's responsibility to take care of them !!
They deserve more !!!

I see droves of them walking around like zombies !!
I call them the walking dead !!
They deserve welfare , food stamps , health care , housing , cellphones and so on !!
Now get busy all of you that work so you can provide for those poor people !!!

-
Back