WTH is Scotty Kilmer's problem, anyway?

-
Its suprising that scotty’s repair worked. 6 mm brake line with a 1/4” splice on it.
A hack.
I watch 1A auto for part replacement tips and its very helpful.
Also north main auto is good for walking through test procedures.

As a stay at home mechanic, and such a wide variety of vehicles on the road it is impractical to buy service manuals or to subscribe to online repair manuals. Starting at $1500/year for online access i cant justify it.
So i study,and learn from other’s mistakes instead. Some youtube mechanics are out if their freakin minds,others dont have command of the english language and others can sure speak a lot of words without actually giving any useable advice.

Neve repaired a fuel control module before,not much on youtube either. Had to use my own thinking cap.

Why is Scotty Kilmer always bashing Chrysler products?

I can't decide whether he reminds me more of Consumer's Reports, with their completely phony ratings of Chrysler products just to sell more magazines, or Hillary Clinton when she hysterically denounced the "deplorables".

I sure am getting tired of it. (I know, I should stop watching.) Most of his videos recently have been major Chrysler bashes. He must have discovered that his viewers really like it or something.

FWIW, I have driven Chrysler products for about 55 years, and I think I have received very good service from them.

Any car is going to have defects because they contain so many parts, but the real issue is whether the manufacturer stands behind the product or not. Scotty recently did a very misleading video criticizing the early Ultradrive transmission used on the K-cars and minivans, but he failed to mention that Chrysler stood behind those transmissions by upgrading them to later specs, with the customer paying only a very reasonable co-pay. My original transmission failed after 80,000 miles, but my dealer upgraded it to the revised specs for only $300, and after that it was really bulletproof.

Then he criticized Chrysler for using cheap shock absorbers in the early '60's, but they were the same kind of shock every other manufacturer was using, and if they failed early you just had your dealer install new ones under the warranty. And he neglected to mention that Chrysler was offering a 5-year, 50,000-mile warranty when the other manufacturers were offering 12 or 18-month warranties.

It's getting to where I just don't think Scotty knows what he is talking about.

SO, who is scotty kilmer ??? NEVER HEARD OF HIM !!

I NEVER read Consumer Reports. When you consider some of the GARBAGE they have called best buys and some of the great products they have trashed, I can't have any faith in them at all. I wouldn't be surprised if some money wasn't changing hands for some of those ratings.
Oh you can count on it. Honest, responsible journalism is almost dead nowadays and is only done by small groups or individuals supported by crowd funding.

Who died and left him in charge Just another self proclaimed no it all poge.

Never heard of him. Could care less what he thinks.

I personally have had great luck with Chrysler products. I've had 5 Dakota's and Durango's all go over 225k to 290k miles on original motors and transmissions. All of them were sold and still in great running condition. Current beater is a 2002 Durango that just turned 200k miles. Doesn't burn one drop of oil and the transmission shifts perfectly. I've had Magnum RT's, 300C SRT8's, tons of Jeep's, and several Dodge Rams and I've never had a bad one yet. There are going to be lemons in every car manufacture but my experience has been very positive. That's not to say I'm a Dodge only kind of guy, I like other brands too. I've also had my share of Audi's (A4's, A6's, and S4's) and some Fords.

There is a new kind of compression fitting that is completely acceptable for automotive brake line repairs, according to the manufacturer (I called them). I ran across them sometime within the last year, but can't recall what they called them. I researched them out of curiosity. Believe they were initially intended for heavy equipment hydraulic lines.

the thing is if your brake line blew out in one spot it is because it is weak and rusting through in that spot.....so the whole line is weak.....putting a compression fitting in is just a band aid on an entire problem....just replace the entire line and be done with it....you and your families lives depend on it!

A lot of new brake line replacements still require a union on some runs. This compression fitting would take the place of a flared union, but be an easier, quicker install.

Never heard of this guy, but I'll tell ya. There's a LOT of crap design in modern Mopars, or should I say "Diamler Fiat?" This Dakota I'm tearing apart...........the way the Y pipe comes in front of the trans, YOU CANNOT EVEN DRAIN THE TRANS PAN without getting fluid all over you, it, me, and the dog 40 ft away. They put the T bar mout crossmember PERMANENTLY in the frame, and if it's a 4x4, the transfer case will not tilt down without hitting the member. So if you are pulling the engine you have to pull the transfer FIRST

The damn front differential IS MOUNTED TO BRACKETS HUNG FROM THE ENGINE. They are in the way of everything, and it's nearly impossible to pull the front trans cover.

So far I've run into THREE OF THESE TRUCKS where the bottom bracket for the electric window has come loose, rendering the window inoperative. The windows move so fast it's difficult to lower them "just so much." The "automatic" window operation on the driver door is more than annoying.

And I won't even bother, this morning, to start my usual rant on building the A/C heater so you have to tear the whole truck apart to remove the cores. Remove seats........drop the column, REMOVE THE ENTIRE DASH, and then......remove the heater, and finally the core(s)

I could go on, but it's 6:20 and I have to get to work. At 7

I really enjoy his channel! First, he's on the record of at least admiring and appreciating classic Mopar stuff. It's just the more modern machines that he gripes about.

Personally, I disagree with 50% of his opinions but I find that he's on target with most of his advice. The photos/clip art that go along with his talks make me laugh out loud. There's some funny, subtle stuff that pops up now and again.

Yes, I remember the brake line repair that everyone is pontificating about...I agree, it's a great example of something he did wrong but the vast majority of his information is worthwhile.

Scotty Kilmer is a joke and a hack. My son was into his YouTube channel for a while. So I sat down and watched an episode, I could not believe that this guy has followers and people buy into his advice. It's sad and the very reason people don't have a clue how to work on their own cars correctly.

I disagree. The guy was a professional mechanic for 50 years and now he has a profitable YouTube channel (which is probably a lot harder than you can imagine). He's no hack. You're free to not like the guy or disagree with his methods but come on. A "joke and a hack?" You're flat wrong by any legitimate measure.

There's a disease in the US of A these days where any person that we disagree with is some kind of worthless piece of dogsh--. Can't we move past this?

Who died and left him in charge Just another self proclaimed no it all poge.

Scotty has 1.4 million YouTube subscribers.

Never heard of him. Could care less what he thinks.

I personally have had great luck with Chrysler products. I've had 5 Dakota's and Durango's all go over 225k to 290k miles on original motors and transmissions. All of them were sold and still in great running condition. Current beater is a 2002 Durango that just turned 200k miles. Doesn't burn one drop of oil and the transmission shifts perfectly. I've had Magnum RT's, 300C SRT8's, tons of Jeep's, and several Dodge Rams and I've never had a bad one yet. There are going to be lemons in every car manufacture but my experience has been very positive. That's not to say I'm a Dodge only kind of guy, I like other brands too. I've also had my share of Audi's (A4's, A6's, and S4's) and some Fords.

I believe you completely but looking at the Mopars that you listed, I'm struck by the fact that those are (by my estimation) the "good" ones. They're also the modern Chryslers that most of us here are probably most familiar with. These vehicles have tried and true engines, domestic/German underpinnings, ZF and Tremec sourced transmissions, etc. Ignoring the fact that Durangos, Dakotas and Rams are total rust buckets around here, these are the best of Chrysler's offerings over the past two decades. They have their problems but they're certainly competitive and appealing.

Scotty Kilmer seems to primarily complain about the FWD stuff...and based on the age of cars and demographic that he served, he was likely exposed to a lot of the Cerberus Capitol era +/- cars which were largely Mitsu-based platforms that were a generation behind in terms of tech, and from Eastern Europe in terms of interior/exterior styling.

Would you be sharing the same high praise if you had a 2000 Avenger or Sebring? How about a 2006 Caliber or a 2013 Dart? I honestly doubt it. Maybe his mistake is that he's not differentiating between the model lines.

By the way, if you say that those Audis were trouble free for 200k+ miles, we're going to have you checked into an asylum. :D

There is a new kind of compression fitting that is completely acceptable for automotive brake line repairs, according to the manufacturer (I called them). I ran across them sometime within the last year, but can't recall what they called them. I researched them out of curiosity. Believe they were initially intended for heavy equipment hydraulic lines.
----------------Swedgelock--------------

By the way, if you say that those Audis were trouble free for 200k+ miles, we're going to have you checked into an asylum. :D

Lol well several of the Audi's had around 180k to 250k but I typically would buy them with about 25k dollars worth of maintenance and repair receipts so I just let the previous owners replace everything before I buy them :D

Didnt he once clean a catalytic convertor with dish soap and a toothbrush?

In many cases your Chrysler is more foreign then some of that so called foreign crap you say you don’t like. Hell plenty of that so called foreign crap supplies a lot of American jobs too.
I'm curious Joe, if you dislike MOPAR that much, and from your post(s) it seems you do, why are you even on this forum?

I have owned 4 late model Mopars and have had great service from all but one. The 2007 Ram had a problem with the MDS lifter at 56,000 miles but I'm at 312,000 miles now and have only had to replace a few service items.

Last I checked this is forABODIESonly no? Big difference from an abody to the junk they have put out since the abody.
I have to agree with Joe. Modern Chrysler makes some really nice vehicles, but they also make some total crap boxes. I think this is true for most manufacturers but the brand loyalty people get all butt hurt when you point out the failings.

Still won't pass NYS safety inspection.

I have to agree with Joe. Modern Chrysler makes some really nice vehicles, but they also make some total crap boxes. I think this is true for most manufacturers but the brand loyalty people get all butt hurt when you point out the failings.

Yup. Difference between being brand loyal and brand blind.

Brand loyal: "I understand the issues, recognize them, and will fix whatever issues there are."

Brand blind: "N'uh-huh! There ain't no issues!"

They come in all circles.

Got a buddy who feels this way about Ford. The Fox body is the greatest car ever built, his 6.0L diesel is the greatest diesel ever made, if it doesn't wear the Blue Oval it's absolute junk.

Yup. Difference between being brand loyal and brand blind.

Brand loyal: "I understand the issues, recognize them, and will fix whatever issues there are."

Brand blind: "N'uh-huh! There ain't no issues!"

They come in all circles.

Got a buddy who feels this way about Ford. The Fox body is the greatest car ever built, his 6.0L diesel is the greatest diesel ever made, if it doesn't wear the Blue Oval it's absolute junk.

This applies to politics these days too! Anyone with an adult brain should be able to see that their own “tribe” has faults and that the other tribe isn’t all bad. Some of us just can’t seem to admit it these days. Why? How have our tribes gotten so small?

I tend to enjoy hanging out and talking with car enthusiasts of all stripes. There’s something to admire and appreciate in all kinds of enthusiast cars...even if I will probably go to the grave “knowing” that the best looking, best performing hotrods of the Muscle car era ALL came from Chrysler. :)

So I do feel some loyalty and I’m a huge fan of modern Mopar. I love the majority of what they have to offer...but as my wife and I shop to replace her Honda CR-V, the Fiat-based Cherokee compeitor isn’t even on the list. Even if I do secretly like them, I don’t trust them.

-
Back