Yall Ain't Gonna Bleeb This!

-
The photo in post #1 almost looks like the distributor has been painted that light purple color like the Road Runner horns, but I guess it's just the light.

It's Rustoleum hammered grey.

Yup I did it. I got to lookin at a distributor core today and said to myself, "hell, why not?" So I tore it down, chunked the guts in purple stuff to clean um all up and blasted the housing. Got everything cleaned up good and inspected what I had. Bushings like new. The "smallest" degree governor I had was a cussfired 15L. Dang. 30* advance at the crank. Bummer. Ok, so I welded the governor slots up and filed um back out to .340 which will give 6* mechanical at the distributor and 12* mechanical at the crank. Perfect. Yeah. You ain't seeing things. That's an electronic slant 6 distributor. Hell's freezin over yall. Now all I need is a new vacuum can for it and blue streak cap and rotor and we're done. I'd love to find a Mopar Chrome Box, but they're hard to come by and everybody wants a pile for um, so I'll come up with somethin. I might put it in Vixen's current engine. It'll go in the unicorn head motor for sure. Whoda thunk it?

View attachment 1715771462
Man, that's killer!

What is this Rob, one you found in the "junk box" er what?

I was "into" the Scamp the other day, I'd forgotten just how far down in the dark and difficult to get to those damn things are with that engine lyin' there

I was "into" the Scamp the other day, I'd forgotten just how far down in the dark and difficult to get to those damn things are with that engine lyin' there

Yeah. I actually "had" two. I purchased a bunch of miscellaneous slant stuff from a member and one of the items was "another" electronic distributor. The PO was not nice to that package AT ALL and that distributor was one of the casualties. I didn't think I had another'un, but I got to diggin today for something else and bam, there it was, so I whipped up an HP electronic distributor. It was kinda fun since I was able to get it all done....cept the vacuum can, cap and rotor. ....and I have all that stuff, just not the Blue Streak stuff and the vacuum can I have is a chitty non adjustable one. It should work pretty well, I think.

...and I've had my distributor outta Vixen so many times now, I can poke my good eye out with a dull stick and still mess with it in the car. It's not bad. The trick is not bein stubborn and leavin the cap attached to the wires Just get it the hell outta the way and it's a breeze.

...and I've had my distributor outta Vixen so many times now, I can poke my good eye out with a dull stick and still mess with it in the car. It's not bad. The trick is not bein stubborn and leavin the cap attached to the wires Just get it the hell outta the way and it's a breeze.
So, throw a piece of tape to mark #1 , and just rerun the firing order real fast?

I don't even mark it. I never do. lol
That's whip ***! Then again I guess you could just look at the wire coming off number one and trace it down, and if you got them separated with them things, it'd be quick to do it from there. Lol I an Definitely going to follow your advice and grab that Fabo advance limiter plate soon. I traded a pulan chainsaw for a Matco dial back light...

That's whip ***! Then again I guess you could just look at the wire coming off number one and trace it down, and if you got them separated with them things, it'd be quick to do it from there. Lol I an Definitely going to follow your advice and grab that Fabo advance limiter plate soon. I traded a pulan chainsaw for a Matco dial back light...

Cool. If you can mig weld.....or even braze, you can do like I did and save the money for the limiter plate.

Cool. If you can mig weld.....or even braze, you can do like I did and save the money for the limiter plate.
I did work the body shop for a little while when I was younger also I had a mapp gas kit form Sears ( remember them, when Craftsman was USA!) back in 91. I was looking at that plate last night, looks like they're about 45 bucks with shipping. The only thing I do have is a little torch for sweating copper... I'm thinking by the time I acquired the stuff to do it the old school way, I may be Miles Ahead just to go ahead and grab that plate. And of Course, be annoying enough to ask for some help, setting up a timing curve, that is different from the existing one. I recall you said 20° advance, not 12...

Last edited:
The length of the slots. I found a chart over on the slant6 forum. The stock 15L had .475 length slots and gives 30* at the crank. I welded them up and filed them back out to .340 which gives 12* at the crank.

this chart for the slots was in mopar enthusiast magazine years ago.

dist slots.jpg

its been poster here many many times too over the years.. :)

Funny...I used the search function here and it didn't show up. When I used a general internet search I found it on the slant 6 site. lol

lol.. i've posted the two articles on timing many times.. the search isn't all that good here for some reason..

timing 1.jpg

timing 2.jpg

timing 3.jpg

timing 4.jpg

lol.. i've posted the two articles on timing many times.. the search isn't all that good here for some reason..

View attachment 1715771595

View attachment 1715771596

View attachment 1715771597

View attachment 1715771598

I know and that's a great article. I think I've seen it every time you posted it. But you're right. The search here doesn't work well AT ALL and when you say something about it, the admin and mods just blow it off, so I quit tryin. I just do like I did this time and find the info elsewhere. Shouldn't have to, because it's all right here on this forum, but I ain't wastin half the night diggin for it.

-
Back