Your First Car

-
I know it's a crappy picture, but it's 31 years old!! My first car was a 71 Duster that I bought from my parents. 318 3 spd on the floor, dual exhaust and fenton mags!!

71Duster.jpg

I was 4 or 5 and it was a 27 T 2 door sedan body/frame/and steering wheel. I had that until I was about 12 and traded it for a 73 Elko, parted that out and bought a 56 F-100 that I did my first subframe job on at 13 with a 79 Buick estate wagon front clip. My first legaly driven car was a 73 Camaro with split bumpers, a 66 327 (that I found out later was bored 90 over talk about scary thin walls! ) 4 speed, and a posi 4.11ish rear. I made a lot of money with that car against Hondas!

First Mopar was a 70 challenger with a slant six.

66 Charger 440 magnum (obviously not the original motor) 727 auto, midnight blue with ET racing wheels (the Centerline knockoffs) Loved that car!!!

When I was 15 and 16 I drove a 76 Chevy truck then when I was 17 I bought a 68 Dodge Charger. I had the car and fixed it up along the way until I was 32 when it got t-boned by a black lady who decided not to stop for a stop sign. I loved that car!! Most of you have heard my story... but make sure if you drive you classic on the road to have collector car insurance. I did and I got back what I had in the car. Not my labor of course but at least I got back what I had in it not the blue book value.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

We had an aqua and white 61 Fury 318 4-door at the time when I went to my first NASCAR Grand National race. It was won by Richard Petty in an "electric blue" Plymouth. I was hooked.

I learned to drive on a 59 Beetle and a 64 Plymouth Fury 9-pass. wagon. The 64 had been special ordered with a 383 4-bbl and a 3.23 sure grip. It would wail.

Due to the insurance rates on a Duster 360 4-speed, I settled on a 350 Olds Omega. The 350 died shortly after the warranty expired leading to a 455 install. But that's another story.

my first cart was a 68 Nova ss 396 4 speed. took 2 years to put back together. Blew the tranny and traded it for a 81 trans am with a 283 chevy in it. got in lots of trouble with it and the local cops knew the car all to well so I sold it and built a 73 Vega notch back with a 383 stroker and a 2 speed. Same time I was building A 69 chevelle prostreet. Wish I kept both those cars. Only to go back with the knowledge you have today, would have kept my 69 z/28 and a few others. I have owned 4 camaros ,2 chevelles ,3 vegas,1 s-10 (small block ),and on my 5th monte carlo. I am just building the plymouth and so far not been bitten by the bug. But then again I am a gear head if I can build it to go fast and it is rear wheel drive I will own it....lol

My first car was a 55 chevy. Gave $300 for it in 77 in my junior year. 283 3 spd on floor. Barely made the 30 mi. trip home. Installed a 327, came with slots and biggies in back. 3 shades of primer, bucket seats and I was all that8) First Mopar was a 72 Fury III What a boat, but man it would run, and Smoke, not the tires. lol Did I mention the 55 had a heck of a back seat? Those were the days:-D

I didn't get vehicle till I was 18...and I saved for the 2 previous years wanting to find a Mopar to start with...
MY first car was a 1974 Plymouth Duster 318-904-7.25, Red with a white half top and side stripe....it had some bondo and primer, but it was rust free and had black bucket seats and console automatic
KellysDuster.jpg

Then I sold it because it burned the inside tread off of the front tires every two weeks. One day some stranger knocked on my door and offered me $1500.00 for it on the spot and fanned out the cash....I took it, and since wished I never had.

Soon after I joined the USAF, I bought me another A-body - 73 Dart Sport
KellyDartSport01.jpg

KellysDartsport.jpg

and then painted it Vitamin C orange and soon after found a 72' Rallye 340 Challenger and HAD to have it too...
dartchallenger.jpg

I later sold all the Mopar Toys before PCS'ing to Germany and recently decided to get back into them.

I sure do miss that Duster though...anybody have a 72'+ bucket seat/console duster taking up too much space?

Good thread!

F*** mullinax95, those pics make me cringe,what a nice car :(
Id say at least your alright.
But i know what it was like an the last thing i gave a EFF a about
was my health!

My 1st car was a holden kingswood.
Was my fathers.
You couldnt kill the thing if you tried,had a 202 six in it,trimatic,
was overheating one summer,drove it while the needle was was on
red hot,the thing was cooking,i knew if i turned it off,id be screwed,
drove it like that for over a hour to look at a charger.
It got there, popped the cap off the radiator as i turned it off...
I asked the owner if i could use hes hose at the front,filled the radiator
up with water,an off we went.
An yep,i bought that charger.

Dad cashed the rego in on the kingswood because i ended up
blowin the flywheel up an he thought how much it would cost to fix,
it wouldnt be worth it,worth more than the car. But i didnt
care an i was going to pay to fix it but he went an done that.
I got so mad about it i didnt talk to him for 3 months...
I loved that car,it looked like death,looked stolen wherever you
parked it, god i miss that car.

The first car I bought with my own money was a 70 Barracuda 318/904/7.25.
I gave $300 for it in 1979 and sold it for $125 after rust and a guard rail got the better of it. Still ran and drove good when I sold it, just needed bodywork.

My Dad had a 1964 Valiant 2dr Signet 200 /6 3 on the tree, a 1966 Barracuda V8 At, Mom drove a 1967 Barracuda fast back V8, My Grandpa drove a 1969 Belvedere and my uncle had a 1969 Roadrunner and a 1972 Satellite Sebring.

I learned to drive on the Valiant and drove the 66 Cuda to my prom. While I was in the Army, I had a 1968 Barracuda fastback for awhile.

I gots the MoPar in my blood! :burnout:

The first car I had on the road was a '65 Skylark. I bought it from the original owner for $200, she was like 80 years old. Her daughter was making her sell it because she couldn't see anymore... when I went to pick it up she cried and tried to make me change my mind about buying it. But I was 16 or 17 and needed a car so I didn't care.

When I got it home and started cleaning it up I found that all of the ashtrays in the back seat were stuffed with roaches. I guess her grandkids were using the car, too.

Buick.jpg

1966 chrysler 300 2dr hardtop 383 4 barrell carb. bought it when I was 15 from my neighbor. bought another in 1994 and sold both around 2002 they are now in Texas someplace. I think the guy that bought them is a collector or neede parts cars. miss that car, alot of fun memories.

My first car was this 69 Dart GTS pictured below, which were taken at a local 1/8th mile track sometime in the late 90's. Bought it from my X sister-in-law for $600 in 1981. It was her daily driver. Had the car done by June of 1984 just in time for me to drive it to the Car Craft Nats. Unfortunately, I sold it in 2001. Current owner recently had it on ebay with a BIN of $26,500 :shock:

Myfirstcar69DartGTSthedragstrip.jpg

first car was a 66 mustang, between then and now there has been at least 9 a-bodies........make that 11 counting the 2 in the garage.....

it was a 72 340 cuda. Learned alot about everything in that one. then a long list of mopars.
  1. 72 340 cuda
  2. 72 slanty duster
  3. 78 slanty lebaron
  4. 82 buick (free)
  5. 77 2dr 360 sport fury (my favorite daily driver)
  6. 70 383 cuda
  7. 81 datsun B210 (free, i loved this car)
  8. 73 slanty dart
  9. 71 slanty dart
  10. 71 slanty dart (original plum crazy car)
  11. 96 neon
  12. 00 hyundai sante fe
  13. 04 dodge dakota
  14. 07 toyota sienna
  15. 65 slanty signet convertible

Anyone notice the flavor of this thread is like talking about the girl (or guy) you lost your virginity to? Ahhh, the memories....

Unfortunately I did not get to enjoy these cars like many of you at 16. I only got the chance to stare at my dads 70' 383 Cuda with hopes to drive it but my dad is protective of his own. That was only six years ago. Since then;

89' Corsica - POS hitting on 2 cylinders at most - $15 buy
94' 2 door Camry - totalled
92' Berreta - Another POS - $50 buy
98' sunfire with a 2.4 - Only good thing about the car is that it seemed to be built for loud stereos. 2 12" Alphines had house windows rattling.
96' Taurus - Sold after Accident
91' 2WD Sierra EXT Cab, parts runner - trusty beater
71' 318 Dart Swinger, Only car I owned that I dont hate filling up at the pump. Everyday driver/project. I will sell a ******** if it came to it before I let her go.

from 16 to 17 i had a rusted 72 cuda, 74 rrunner then got a good 70 rr
this is 1988 with my little brother

1988rr.jpg

My brothers first car get this... He bought it in 1992 when he was 16 1970 Challenger T/A 4 speed car.He bought is for $6500.00 at the Mopar Nats and drove it home.He wanted a Superbird at the time and if he would have saved his money for another year or so he could have got one..He still has the T/A but now has 8 kids and money is tight so he thinking about selling it and buying a less valuable 4 speed A or B body..
Jim

-
Back