Your take on a potential trade.

-
If the Op wants to make his Dart a little more fun just buy a 360, install a small cam, Performer intake, cheapie headers and a decent carb. It'll be easier to make power with than a 318. Plus he can save his orginial engine, win, win.

Before you say ‘no’, it doesn’t cost anything to find out more details about the engine in the yellow Dart. Is it a 318, 340 or 360? Have you heard it run? Does he have any receipts for it?

I agree, the 55-7 Chevy owner, usually is an old surfer guy engineer with white hair and a cruise in T-shirt who pays to get his Barret Jackson car detailed. I go to car shows and they are still playing Elvis and do-wop and worshipping at the alter of the aqua 57 Belair convertible. C'mon guys, you are pushing 80 if you cruised a new 57 when you were 17! Bring on the late 60's early 70's Muscle and maybe Some CCR, WAR or Doors...

Before you say ‘no’, it doesn’t cost anything to find out more details about the engine in the yellow Dart. Is it a 318, 340 or 360? Have you heard it run? Does he have any receipts for it?
74 Dart sport came with a 360 if its the stock block.

I wouldn't even be considering a swap until you know what he's got and it's condition. You know yours. Is he willing to provide all the info and receipts? What is it? How old? Who built it? What pother parts in the driveline were upgraded for it? Are those included too? If he doesn't know, that's not his fault, but it's certainly a big risk to you. Even in terms of just having an engine in the car to drive around.

74 Dart sport came with a 360 if its the stock block.
My 74 Dart Sport came with a 318, A904 and 8¼ Open Diff.
I wouldn't even be considering a swap until you know what he's got and it's condition. You know yours. Is he willing to provide all the info and receipts? What is it? How old? Who built it? What pother parts in the driveline were upgraded for it? Are those included too? If he doesn't know, that's not his fault, but it's certainly a big risk to you. Even in terms of just having an engine in the car to drive around.
I haven't even talked to the owner. It's the shop's owner that asked me if I would be "interested" in trading engines. The opportunity is neat for a performance boost but "keeping it # matching" kinda ranks higher in my opinion. Just for the sake of it still running great after 44 years.

I wouldn't go through the shop owner. It's in his best interest to get the trade to work. Ask for the owner's number and give him a call, or meet away from the shop.

-
Back