Zac_F71's 71 Demon

-
Got the steering links/ control arms/ torsion bars installed last night/today, need to torque the pitman arm nut on the box though and don't have a large enough socket SO looks like I'm running to town with the nut to get a socket (and silicone/ copper gasket spray for the motor) and then torque the pitman arms - then on to the front brakes - then on to the rear end!

The way it's looking I'll be assembling the motor Sunday night!

Got the front done! - I started on the rear last night on the rear hangers and sadly broke 2 of the 4 bolts so today I will try to get those out and get the S/S springs/ offset hangers in, and the B body 8 3/4 mocked into position and measure for wheels!

Probably end the day pulling the pistons out of the 383 and start gaping all the rings..

Pics from last night!

Well It's a beautiful weekend! Going to get out in the garage clean a little and start in on the motor, hoping to gap the new rings, and start assembling it, hopefully get it in the car tomorrow!

wow your doing a great job on the car. cant wait to see picks of the car when it is all done. also i would not torque any of the front end parts until you have the engine in the car and the front-end on the ground. so you wont run into binding problems.keep up the great work and more pics please.

Thanks! More pics will come! "Hope" to get the motor together by tomorrow night - working on cleaning it up now - in the car would be nice as well but if not that's ok -

I haven't torqued the upper/lower arms, lower shock bolts, and the k member side of the struts.. like you said waiting til it on the ground with engine/trans is in the car..

I am building a 73 duster that will be getting the engine trans out of my 73 dart. i have indy EZ heads and have around 10.9 compression. i run NGK plugs R5671A-7 , the stock number is 4091. they have a 5/8th hex. they should be the same plug type that the 440 source heads use. also i would highly recommend you do a PTV (piston to valve) check on your engine. I say this because one your pistons have no Valve notches and you will be running bigger than stock valves.also your using a bigger cam than stock. sorry not trying to sound like a know it all just hate to see you do all that work and take it for its first drive and have a valve hit the piston. if you have never done it its a very easy check to do. I have weld drag lights on my dart but when i get my duster running i am also going to switch to the weld prostars.I think they look awesome on dusters/demons.

Oh ya I plan that! (PTV clearance check) haha - I'll probably check it with no gaskets though as I am going to run shim gaskets and don't have a used pair to check it with..

I wish I had EZ heads but probably over kill for a stock stroke 383..

My cam specs are 231@ .050" and .480" lift so hopefully it will clear.. I'm just starting to gap the No.1 top ring now.. 7 more to go haha

Well getting it done slowly! Got the 8 3/4 back out, waiting for a B body housing before I start back up on the rear of the car.

Starting on the motor -

Got the front off, balancer, cover, timing chain (new OEM), and camshaft out.

Note the over spray inside the engine in the first pic, I don't like that so out came the brake cleaner, and got rid on 99.99% of it.. also scraped the paint from the gasket surfaces.

This one shows the mains inspected, retorqued, and the rear main seal installed (new), as well as the No.1 and No.2 pistons were removed new rings gaped, installed and stuck back in - that's where I'm at..

Well got all 8 pistons removed, new rings gaped, and reinstalled. Installed the cam, mocked up the head and rockers with no gasket, and rotated it over a few times - it's all good so now I need to order head bolts to start final assembly!

Well back up - small update -

got the spare tire well patch panel from a friend on facebook
Just bought a 31t speedo gear
Got a electrical plug for the Toyota alternator
Ordering the oil pump cover O ring tomorrow thru work

Getting the 440source water pump housing, head bolt kit, and the Hughes 3500 stall Friday so the Heads will go on and the motor trans will go in the car more than likely..

Then my to do list triples from what it was haha

Did a little bit of work on the motor since the last update -

Installed the cam/timing chain
Installed the timing cover
Installed the balancer
Installed the aluminum crank under drive pulley
Installed the fuel pump pushrod and fuel pump

Mock up photo of intake/head/valve cover!

Size comparison stock .vs under drive

Well got the heads on the motor, rockers/pushrods all cleaned, and installed Friday night. Went to Sharadon Performance in Hugo MN and picked up a true B body 8 3/4 housing, Installed that last night, and today is clean the garage day haha a little anyway and put the motor in the car!

PICS!!

End of the night Friday mock up!

Found out I need a 45* -6 fitting haha

My car has a tramp stamp!

Installed B body 8 3/4 - fits oem wheels VERY nice! - Going to make a cardboard wheel to measure today and start looking for wheels - then on to the motor!

I'm going to have SharaDon's do that, I left them at the B body width til they setup the rear axle -

Got the motor/trans in only to find out the converter has a different bolt pattern than the stock flex plate SO out came the motor for the 4th time.. On the hunt for a flex plate with a 11" bolt pattern.. I took a bunch of pics and I don't even want to post them LOL

I'm going to have SharaDon's do that, I left them at the B body width til they setup the rear axle -

Got the motor/trans in only to find out the converter has a different bolt pattern than the stock flex plate SO out came the motor for the 4th time.. On the hunt for a flex plate with a 11" bolt pattern.. I took a bunch of pics and I don't even want to post them LOL

looking great there but i think you for got to put somrthing on in your last engine pic.lol I will have to look but i might have a flex plate that will work with your converter. does your converter use 5/16 or 7/16 converter bolts?

looking great there but i think you for got to put somrthing on in your last engine pic.lol I will have to look but i might have a flex plate that will work with your converter. does your converter use 5/16 or 7/16 converter bolts?
5/16", 11" center to center bolt pattern on it as well.. (All I find is 11.125"(11 1/8")

5/16", 11" center to center bolt pattern on it as well.. (All I find is 11.125"(11 1/8")

here is the one i have.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...IERlY2sp&level1=RmxleHBsYXRlcw==&partid=25384

I was going to use this with the 9.5 dynamic 4200 stall converter i had at the time, mine used 7/16 bolts. well i could not get the bolt holes to line up. found out latter that one lug of the converter was welded off just enough so the bolts would not line up. this was with the engine in the car.So gave up and used my mopar one. I must of for got wear i put it becasue i was going to use it with my ATI 8 inch converter and i looked and looked and could not find it. So i just reused the mopar flex plate again.well two years after i got the ATI converter installed, I found it in a box in my bedroom closet.lol:violent1::violent1::eek:ops: My back is to mess up now to pull the transmission so its yours free if you want it. it was never bolted to the engine. now i am sure the SFI sticker is out dated but it should be fine for what you are going to be doing. let mw know if you want it.

here is the one i have.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...IERlY2sp&level1=RmxleHBsYXRlcw==&partid=25384

I was going to use this with the 9.5 dynamic 4200 stall converter i had at the time, mine used 7/16 bolts. well i could not get the bolt holes to line up. found out latter that one lug of the converter was welded off just enough so the bolts would not line up. this was with the engine in the car.So gave up and used my mopar one. I must of for got wear i put it becasue i was going to use it with my ATI 8 inch converter and i looked and looked and could not find it. So i just reused the mopar flex plate again.well two years after i got the ATI converter installed, I found it in a box in my bedroom closet.lol:violent1::violent1::eek:ops: My back is to mess up now to pull the transmission so its yours free if you want it. it was never bolted to the engine. now i am sure the SFI sticker is out dated but it should be fine for what you are going to be doing. let mw know if you want it.
Sent ya a PM Thanks!

Ha ya - I'm from WI, Hudson to be specific - have family up here and couple uncles in Luck, and Grandpa in St.Croix Falls

Ha ya - I'm from WI, Hudson to be specific - have family up here and couple uncles in Luck, and Grandpa in St.Croix Falls

LOL I live 1 mile south of Milltown. Small world. If your ever going by, stop in!!!! Right on HWY 35 :D

-
Back