10.5 to 1 pistons

-

Still Looking !!

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda 273. when I bought this car it had a Edelbrock 1405 carb on it. I thought it had the 10.5 to 1 pistons and a solid lifters. Boy was I wrong. It has the 8.8 to 1 pistons with hydrolic lifters.
I want to install the 10.5 to 1 pistons, but are not sure if they'll fit with the stock heads.
Does anyone know if they are a direct swap in or if the 10.5's wont fit with the stock heads.
I also am going to put the Isky E-4 cam in it with solid lifters. I hope that this isn't going to be a problem ??
Any information would be appreciated.

Still Looking !!

The heads are the same other than bolt size and angle. 10.5-1 pistons have a hump that deletes 2 valve reliefs in the standard piston. They should fit fine.

No, the 273 4bbl pistons had a thinner wrist pin IIRC that made the balance the same as the 273 2bbl that had massive pins. Even the 318 poly pistons were the same weight so they could keep casting the carry over poly/LA forged crank. Someone chime in if they know thats bogus as I only read it but can confirm the 273 2bbl pins are really heavy. The 10.5's should slip right in. You want to run premium for the rest of its life? EGGE makes 10.5 273 pistons but cant comment on them. Hydros dropped right into the old LA's, probably just a change made by PO.

The question is, does he still have the adjustable rockers?

I have a set of pistons however the dome has been shaved to get the CR down. They are .060. They are the TRW L2222 forged piston. They are for sale.

No, the 273 4bbl pistons had a thinner wrist pin IIRC that made the balance the same as the 273 2bbl that had massive pins. Even the 318 poly pistons were the same weight so they could keep casting the carry over poly/LA forged crank. Someone chime in if they know thats bogus as I only read it but can confirm the 273 2bbl pins are really heavy. The 10.5's should slip right in. You want to run premium for the rest of its life? EGGE makes 10.5 273 pistons but cant comment on them. Hydros dropped right into the old LA's, probably just a change made by PO.

True I just went out to the barn and looked the dome pistons have a wrist pin that is about 1/2 of the size.

I got my 030 over pistons from Egge. They come with the clip-in wrist pins for the floating 273 rods. They looked the same thicknessas the ones that came out of my 273 when I built it.

Commando (or "HiPo") engines had a cast-iron 4 bbl intake and special valve covers w/ fins.

You also occasionally see Badger HiPo pistons on ebay. Those and factory HiPo pistons are different for the left and right banks. I don't know about Egge's. One trick racers did was to swap left and right banks to supposedly up performance.

I put a hydraulic cam in my 1965 273, thus oiling is same as later engines. I bought ball & cup pushrods that work with my factory adjustable rockers, for the special 340 TA engine (~1972). Of course you could use later stamped rockers, but why lose the adjust-ability and downgrade.

I got my 030 over pistons from Egge. They come with the clip-in wrist pins for the floating 273 rods. They looked the same thicknessas the ones that came out of my 273 when I built it.
I wonder if the Egge pistons you bought are flat top or possibly if dome the weight is the same on their dome piston. As I said looking at the factory dome and flat top side by side in the barn the wrist pin is 1/2 the thickness.

True I just went out to the barn and looked the dome pistons have a wrist pin that is about 1/2 of the size.

Chryslerfat ,Would the wrist pins come with the pistons from Kanter ? Or would I have to buy them separate??
Kanter also lists only one connecting rod for both the 2bbl and the 4bbl so no problems with the new pistons to the old con rods ?? The same as the push rods (7.50")

Thanks everyone for your help. Would still like to find a book that would answer all my questions.

Chryslerfat ,Would the wrist pins come with the pistons from Kanter ? Or would I have to buy them separate??
Kanter also lists only one connecting rod for both the 2bbl and the 4bbl so no problems with the new pistons to the old con rods ?? The same as the push rods (7.50")

Thanks everyone for your help. Would still like to find a book that would answer all my questions.

How to Rebuild Your Small Block Mopar and How to Hot Rod Your Small Block Mopar between them would have all the info you need.

Reproduction domed pistons can be purchased from Egge or Kanter. Egge was out of stock back in December. They may have made some since then. Both are shorter than stock and so make less compression. The Egges are shorter than the Kanters by about .020".

Egge: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969625909#post1969625909

Kanter: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970262436#post1970262436

The reduced compression height combined with modern head gaskets, real world chamber volumes and taller than spec deck height puts you down in the low 9's pretty quick.

I have a Mac meeting to go to so I'll make it short. My +.030 Egge 10.5/1's were lighter than the standard bore originals and they will work with the heads you have. Yes the E-4 requires the recommended solid lifters,adjustable rockers, and longer pushrods. tmm

-
Back