10 sec. 318?

-
Do What......... I had a 71 dart w/ a 340 that ran 12.03 in the 1/4 and it was close to 6k . it how you spend the money and put it the RIGHT place.

larry3.jpg

I think you can do it if you really do your homework, but i'd keep it as an 1/8 miler, I'm sure it wouldn't be too happy on the street, it would be cool having a solid 7.00 318 A body stick car, i'll bet you can do up the whole car for around 10K, remember, a 318 is not a torque monster, so it won't tear up **** like the larger engines, but can still be made to run fast, you can set up the cars chassis, SFCs, 8 point cage, SS springs, good shocks, hell, you wouldn't really need to minny tub it, it'll hook on smaller DRs or ET streets, then get a good clutch assembly with flywheel, 4.88 or 5.13 gears, work on getting the car as light as possible (on the cheap), then build a solid 13.1 318 roller, good heads, huge cam, & shift at 8000 rpm, i'll bet it'll run 7.0s if you can shift, maybe better, THAT would be cool, set the goal for a race weight of say 2850 with you in it.

10's, why does everyone want to run 10's? I would do as Moper said. Cam, intake, headers and a gear will put the 318 in the low 14's. Work on the chassis then build a stroker 360 for it with really good heads, get some big tube headers and you'll be on your way. Either way though street friendly it won't be. But you could have a decent compromise with a mid to high 11 second car through the mufflers.

10's..not with a 6k budget..

Wanna bet? Forged internals,balance to 8000 rpm and a TON of nitrous will get you there.

I would second the removal of weight.Also changing the cars weight ratio to beter than 50% over th rears will make the car much quicker in the 60'.

An overdrive with splitter so you can keep that little 318 wound to hell.
Maybe 4:88 gears? depending on tire height.
I cant offer a warrantee with this plan however...

I can guarantee someone has done it already. In fact I recall a mopar mag with a 10 sec 318 car. Volare maybe?

Wanna bet? Forged internals,balance to 8000 rpm and a TON of nitrous will get you there.

I would second the removal of weight.Also changing the cars weight ratio to beter than 50% over th rears will make the car much quicker in the 60'.

I can guarantee someone has done it already. In fact I recall a mopar mag with a 10 sec 318 car. Volare maybe?

Yeah its been done, theres also a guy on Mopartech running 11s with a 318, & i think the car is street friendly if i'm not mistaken.

The only reason I really want to try that fast is mostly because I've never gone that fast and because I want to be sure to smoke my friend's Mustang, lol. My 71 base auto Vette runs in the 15s and my motorcycle will run in the 12s. Maybe I'm just young and stupid, but 12s just isn't that fast to me, lol. If nothing else I'd like to go low to mid 11s, but the more I take parts off the car the more the project turns into restoration... Why is it that people seem to butcher Mopars so much?

...........Yeah its got a HEMI,........ but it also needs that electronic tranny...........good luck with whatever u choose..............kim...............

What about all the safety equipment you'll need to legally run in the 10's..nitrous.. once again ANYONE can spray build a "real' engine and you don't need it:-D:-D and with all that spray your lucky if it last one day at the track..

Mount the 318 in the trunk for ballast. Then put a 440 under the hood. You will then have a 10 second 318. :toothy10: :toothy10: :-D :-D

The only reason I really want to try that fast is mostly because I've never gone that fast and because I want to be sure to smoke my friend's Mustang, lol. My 71 base auto Vette runs in the 15s and my motorcycle will run in the 12s. Maybe I'm just young and stupid, but 12s just isn't that fast to me, lol. If nothing else I'd like to go low to mid 11s, but the more I take parts off the car the more the project turns into restoration... Why is it that people seem to butcher Mopars so much?

If you really want to build a 10 sec. car, then go for it i say, just map out a plan for a build, try not to stray off corse too much, if you want that "wow" factor, or just taking a different route, don't let anyone tell you different, i wanted to get in the 11s when i built my last duster, boy did that car surprize me when it ran 11.20 on its 1st. pass, it hit 119, it ended up after time getting in the 10.8s, 10.9s @ 123, & it was very street friendly all though i never licensed it, so build what ever your heart desires, whether its a 318/340/360/383/400/440, or hemi & have fun with it 8).

It's a matter of his budget. Building a 318 that runs 10 is simply not practical for $6000.

Even if he got there the engine would be so stressed that the life span would be short with street use and the money to keep it running would be gone.

10 second cars are cool but there is something to be said for the 13 second car that can be enjoyed for 10k miles a year.

I don't know…… I see a bunch of these 13 second cars at shows, cruising town on Saturday nights, road tripping it to the beach. The people always look like they are having a great time.

I see the guys with the 10 second cars posting pics of broken parts, asking for help or giving updates on repair work.

Everyone has different needs I guess.

10 second 318?
call bob mazzolini! he knows a little somethin about makin a 318 go...these are 318 bottom ends, low compression, ported 360 heads, ss legal....3000+ pounds...in the 10's! call him: 951-787-8783

check out the "cars we race" section
http://www.bobmazzoliniracing.com/

obviously you can make way more power with a stroker 318/390 and better heads....and at a lower rpm...a turbo puts you there quick with a very stock engine...thats how i'm going

no need to spend $6000!

That's fine too. Different strokes for different folks. Just trying to get the OP thinking about if he NEEDS 10s (some do need 10) or if he just THINKS he needs 10s.

I don't know…… I see a bunch of these 13 second cars at shows, cruising town on Saturday nights, road tripping it to the beach. The people always look like they are having a great time.

I see the guys with the 10 second cars posting pics of broken parts, asking for help or giving updates on repair work.

Everyone has different needs I guess.

Obviously you have never had a 10 sec. car, i raced mine for 2 yrs. & over 250 passes & NEVER broke anything EVER!! If he wants a street car that runs solid 11s, i would suggest a 360 stroker, or even a 318 stroker (391), if he sets it up right, it'll run 11s all day on pump gas & be streetable (if not better), i had a bunch of guys on the boards say my combo would not run a 12.99, it just wasn't happening, well i proved them wrong, i'll be going for a 12.8 this weekend, & believe me, my combo ain't ****, its extreamly mild to say the least, i drive it too the track. Is my car slow, yes it is, 11.0s is really nice seat in the pants feeling, 12.0s isn't, but thats my opinion. I won't comment on you can't build a 318 for 6K that won't run 10.99, i'll bet it can be done, but thats just for the engine, nothing else, no matter what he decides, it'll be a $$$$ pit if he wan'ts to go fast.

-
Back