10's on $5,000 ?

-
If you just raced it on a dyno you would save a lot of work and money spent finding and buying a car. I’m in.

I would love to dyno a motor. I just cant afford 400.00 an hr. 20 minutes for break in then adjust valves, leaves you very little time unless you buy several hours. I am going to try a chassis dyno this year at a car show I go to. Only 80.00 for 3 runs. Dyno is a good tool and that's it. I've seen to many 7 and 800 hp cars get there asses spanked by true 550 to 600 hp cars.

I say build it and lay down a 10.9 off the trailer. :D
It could be a spooky ride but it can be done without the dyno right off the trailer. lol :realcrazy:
Dyno after the run and see how much HP is wasted. :D

I say build it and lay down a 10.9 off the trailer. :D
It could be a spooky ride but it can be done without the dyno right off the trailer. lol :realcrazy:
Dyno after the run and see how much HP is wasted. :D
Of course, a per say 850 dollar Diplomat, will have a lot of waste in suspension. LOL. If I go out of town and spank my son's Scat Pack, I should be in good shape :)
:thumbsup:

I am in the Mpls mn area. I have a very nice 65 dart body minus front clip, interior, and motor trans . A 65 Dart 4dr would make a great doner for what would be needed to make a streetable deal. If it interests you let me know. $300 and it comes with a hood scoop i am out of town now but this body hasn't gone anywhere in a long time , so when isn't important.

I am in the Mpls mn area. I have a very nice 65 dart body minus front clip, interior, and motor trans . A 65 Dart 4dr would make a great doner for what would be needed to make a streetable deal. If it interests you let me know. $300 and it comes with a hood scoop i am out of town now but this body hasn't gone anywhere in a long time , so when isn't important.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I'm about 6 hrs from Mpls. Never know....

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I'm about 6 hrs from Mpls. Never know....
I figured you would need to locate a donor car first if you find its something you want to do.
Who knows, it might get to look like its brothers!

20190907_094414.jpg

Idylwild4 14 2012 Sandys pics latest 250.jpg

I figured you would need to locate a donor car first if you find its something you want to do.
Who knows, it might get to look like its brothers!

View attachment 1715457954

View attachment 1715457957
yeah, and also I always could change direction a little and go BB in one of my Dusters. IF so, I'd have to adjust the budget per what I was planning on the cost of the car. But as it stands, I need to get the snow, slush, ice, and cold out of here before I make a serious move. Unless, of course, something should pop up locally that was just what I was looking for...…

yeah, and also I always could change direction a little and go BB in one of my Dusters. IF so, I'd have to adjust the budget per what I was planning on the cost of the car. But as it stands, I need to get the snow, slush, ice, and cold out of here before I make a serious move. Unless, of course, something should pop up locally that was just what I was looking for...…
I disagree. why do you insist on doing it the hard way. lol
5000 dollar budget would be perfect to reach your goal with your Duster. A BIG BLOCK DUSTER :thumbsup::D

Not if the price/value of the car is part of the $5k.

Which was/is the original premise.

You have nothing but $5,000 in your hand....... no car, no parts, nothing.
The idea is to go from zero to <11.00 without exceeding that $5,000.

Correct -

I disagree. why do you insist on doing it the hard way. lol
5000 dollar budget would be perfect to reach your goal with your Duster. A BIG BLOCK DUSTER :thumbsup::D

Building a 10 second car is easy when the money is ever present. Anyone can do it. In fact, you can hire it built, buy a car already built, or order every component and just bolt the components in such as crate engines, tranny's, and even Dana 60's all set up. I like the challenge myself, and am attracted more to roadkill looking type cars more than 40k dollar restored 6 pack cars. But that's just me....

A quick search on CL locally only came up with a couple 2wd pick-ups for under a grand.
There are essentially no cheap old rwd mopars around here to speak of.

A quick search on CL locally only came up with a couple 2wd pick-ups for under a grand.
There are essentially no cheap old rwd mopars around here to speak of.
yeah, lots of Diplomats that I would buy about 4 hrs away. I see them around here now and then. There is a '76 Diplomat 2 door 318 that looks solid about 3 hrs away. 600 bucks.

If you go bb, i built a 4.5 stroke 440 at .030 over for 535 cubes that was a torque monster. With ported 906 iron heads, pistons .100 in the hole, a mopar 590 cam , wiend team g intake and 800 holley dp it went 10.60s at 3400 lb race weight. My point is that 4.5 crank made so much torque even with crappy heads carb and intake, and poor gear ratios it still went tens. It needed a very tight ten inch converter to keep stall down to a liveable level. My first twn second passes were made with a stock converter from a 426 Hemi( same stall as a 340 or 383 factory converter). It ate that converter in six passes though. Shift points were 5700 and i may have been shifting too high.
I understand it is a pain to got to an external oil pickup but it is worth it to get over 535 cubes.
Rear gears could be 3.23 to 3.91 with 28 inch tall slicks. Mph should be 124 or more.

Maybe if he could do it for 4k in one of two duster that he has and save a thousand for saying if you want to buy a beater to put it all in....
Think about if you lived in a cold part of the United States and you had a truck a ramcharger two dusters a van and good Lord knows what else with no garage and now you want to build yet another vehicle and put $5,000 into roadkill...
He's always wanted a big block duster why not just make it for 4 Grand and get it nice and proven and if he wants to put it in some junk box do it at a later date...

Maybe if he could do it for 4k in one of two duster that he has and save a thousand for saying if you want to buy a beater to put it all in....
Think about if you lived in a cold part of the United States and you had a truck a ramcharger two dusters a van and good Lord knows what else with no garage and now you want to build yet another vehicle and put $5,000 into roadkill...
He's always wanted a big block duster why not just make it for 4 Grand and get it nice and proven and if he wants to put it in some junk box do it at a later date...
This is "cold hard truth" ^^^. 2 dusters, 2 ramchargers, 1 van, 1 truck, 1 'stang, besides my sons 2 cars.... . and no garage. This is why I may grab a Duster and do it... per say 4k, and if somebody wanted to throw the build in a 1000 dollar gutted diplomat they could.... But we'll see.

I bought headers that will work in later A car with b motor, or in a B car with either B/RB motor, and some of the Diplomat/mirada type of cars. I have a set of spool motor mounts for BB also (later year type)

A Duster for a grand?

Most of the “project” Dusters I see advertised are well more than that these days.

I don’t really care how he goes about it, but starting with a running driving Duster and saying that’s the same as a gutted $1000 Diplomat...... well, that’s just “shoulda, coulda, woulda” in my book.

There’s only one way to prove the concept of “zero to <11.00 for $5k”...... and that’s to actually do just that.

I’d suggest just “shelving” the project until a suitable candidate vehicle becomes available.

In the mean time...... you can get cracking on that 360 head swap.

Last edited:
-
Back