10's on $5,000 ?

-
A Duster for a grand?

Most of the “project” Dusters I see advertised are well more than that these days.

I don’t really care how he goes about it, but starting with a running driving Duster and saying that’s the same as a gutted $1000 Diplomat...... well, that’s just “shoulda, coulda, woulda” in my book.

There’s only one way to prove the concept of “zero to <11.00 for $5k”...... and that’s to actually do just that.

I’d suggest just “shelving” the project until a suitable candidate vehicle becomes available.

In the mean time...... you can get cracking on that 360 head swap.
Plan is still to buy something. Plan is to buy something after winter passes us. But I can post lots of running, driving diplomats or such for 1000 -1200 bucks and gutting it would be a given, so I don't know how if I did this to a Duster of mine that it would cancel the results of the project. Nobody is buying a running/driving/solid Duster for 1000 bucks... lol. In the mean time, I'm dealing with snow, freez'n weather, ice and snow without a garage, so no crack'n on a head swap... :poke:

Plan is still to buy something. Plan is to buy something after winter passes us. But I can post lots of running, driving diplomats or such for 1000 -1200 bucks and gutting it would be a given, so I don't know how if I did this to a Duster of mine that it would cancel the results of the project. Nobody is buying a running/driving/solid Duster for 1000 bucks... lol. In the mean time, I'm dealing with snow, freez'n weather, ice and snow without a garage, so no crack'n on a head swap... :poke:
Example....
Here is a '76 Diplomat 318 runs and drives and they are asking 600 bucks needs a fender. It's 2.5 hrs from me and I'm sure 500 bucks cash would buy it.
5003879_1272882634128621568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=EdsBg-DCnmoAX-4cGyw&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Last edited:
My point was, you buy a diplomat for say 7-800....... then you’ll have a bunch of other money in it getting the car suitable for installing a big block in it.
It’ll likely need a different rear, modified trans tunnel and cross member for a 727, drive shaft made, more than likely have to modify the headers to fit, plus whatever else is required to make the car road worthy.

Arbitrarily saying it would be $1000 out of the $5000 total budget, and substituting in a running driving Duster instead, that already has an 8-3/4 and a trans tunnel/cross member that accepts a 727 isn’t realistic IMO....... if you’re really trying to show it can be done for $5k.

What would a project Dart/Demon/Duster go for in your area?

Another example..... Solid 5th Avenue... 700 bucks
1489129_6526566495512690688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=4NkUBuULvJEAX_hsM_m&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

There are going to be way more hurdles and challenges to overcome to get that 5th ave into the 10’s than a Duster.

I mean...... 10’s in a Duster?
So easy even a caveman can do it.

Don't the dippys and 5th avenues have that dumbass transverse torsion bar suspension? I've seen more than a few of those things break through the years. What happens when you need some parts for something only made a few years thirty plus years ago and most are gone now? I'll be danged if I'd get one of them bastid cars.

Don't the dippys and 5th avenues have that dumbass transverse torsion bar suspension? I've seen more than a few of those things break through the years. What happens when you need some parts for something only made a few years thirty plus years ago and most are gone now? I'll be danged if I'd get one of them bastid cars.

You
Put a straight axle under it and keep on racing.

My point was, you buy a diplomat for say 7-800....... then you’ll have a bunch of other money in it getting the car suitable for installing a big block in it.
It’ll likely need a different rear, modified trans tunnel and cross member for a 727, drive shaft made, more than likely have to modify the headers to fit, plus whatever else is required to make the car road worthy.

Arbitrarily saying it would be $1000 out of the $5000 total budget, and substituting in a running driving Duster instead, that already has an 8-3/4 and a trans tunnel/cross member that accepts a 727 isn’t realistic IMO....... if you’re really trying to show it can be done for $5k.

What would a project Dart/Demon/Duster go for in your area?
I guess I don't know really what you mean. Here, I'll address the items you mentioned for the Diplomat:
  • I have a B-body rear end that fit these cars nicely - I gave 50 bucks.
  • No need to modify the tunnel for 727, more room than a A-body
  • Drive shaft either way (duster or diplomat), likely just shorten the one that came with the car
  • B-body headers work for certain models, already bought them
  • Motor mounts are spool style, and i believe i bought the right ones
  • These cars already have disc brakes and would be more than suitable to stop the car
  • Duster or Demon project car??? You can't be serious. One that's a roller and only needs floors, trunk, brakes and hasn't been moved in 35 years, 2-3k. Now do brakes, rear end, drive shaft, blah blah blah and tell me if it's cheaper.

• Duster or Demon project car??? You can't be serious. One that's a roller and only needs floors, trunk, brakes and hasn't been moved in 35 years, 3k
My point exactly.

Like I said it’s your money, you’ll do it how you want.

But starting with a running driving Duster and then going, “see? 10’s for $5k”....... when the basic car prior to any additional work would likely use up all the $5k.... or more...... really wasn’t at all the spirit on your original concept.

Saying getting a Diplomat into the tens is the same as a Duster..... and it actually being the same......two totally different things.

My point exactly.

Like I said it’s your money, you’ll do it how you want.

But starting with a running driving Duster and then going, “see? 10’s for $5k”....... when the basic car prior to any additional work would likely use up all the $5k.... or more...... really wasn’t at all the spirit on your original concept.

Saying getting a Diplomat into the tens is the same as a Duster..... and it actually being the same......two totally different things.
I think you missed the point. J par was saying if I used the Duster and 4k budget, then somebody else can use that last 1000 to buy a diplomat and do the same drive train. I don't know how you figure that my Duster running and a Diplomat running makes the diplomat harder to get into the 10's. BB fits easier in the Dippy, headers are cheaper for the Dippy, B-body 8.75 fits better in the Dippy, gutting without guilt is easier in the Dippy, I guess I don't understand your point.

That’s my local track.

You build that from scratch for $5k....... and knock over 1/2 a second off it(to be in the tens)..... you’re golden!!

That thing's disgusting. Another example of "just cause you can doesn't mean you should". lol
I think this video just pulled the value of the charger down a little bit - loosing to that dippy :D
:rofl:

That’s my local track.

You build that from scratch for $5k....... and knock over 1/2 a second off it(to be in the tens)..... you’re golden!!
you know the guy??

10’s are so easy in those cars..... that’s why we see so many of them running tens at the track.

Oh wait...... we don’t see many of them running 10’s.

Look, it’s your show.
You don’t want to actually go through the trouble of finding a suitable car, and doing all the work required to show just what’s involved...... I get it.

But plopping a BB into a Duster and going 10’s?...... now there’s something you see at the track pretty regularly.

500hp, 4.10’s, slicks, converter...... done.

That thing's disgusting. Another example of "just cause you can doesn't mean you should". lol
Nobody thought I was going to buy a nice '72 Demon and drop a big block in it and go 10's for 5k, did they? Lets be real, it is going to be a 4 door volare, diplomat, Cordoba, Mirada, and if I got lucky, a '73 4 door coronet or satellite.

Nobody thought I was going to buy a nice '72 Demon and drop a big block in it and go 10's for 5k, did they? Lets be real, it is going to be a 4 door volare, diplomat, Cordoba, Mirada, and if I got lucky, a '73 4 door coronet or satellite.

Yeah cause the early cars are all dryin up now. Ain't like it used to be at all.

10’s are so easy in those cars..... that’s why we see so many of them running tens at the track.

Oh wait...... we don’t see many of them running 10’s.

Look, it’s your show.
You don’t want to actually go through the trouble of finding a suitable car, and doing all the work required to show just what’s involved...... I get it.

But plopping a BB into a Duster and going 10’s?...... now there’s something you see at the track pretty regularly.

500hp, 4.10’s, slicks, converter...... done.
Top of this page - post 401. I thought I said the plan was still to buy a car when the harsh winter passes us??? When I posted the type of cars I was looking at, you kind of made it sound mission impossible? I actually think a Diplomat or such would be much easier than a Duster just because of fitment alone. Keeps the cost down.

Really and who sets the price on a donor car. lol there are deals to be had right person right place.
A trip to Montana or Idaho could net an a-body donor on the cheap.
Take a drive through the reservations and bingo there she sits

-
Back