10's on $5,000 ?

-
Your 3500lb? Duster@289fwhp/26" tyre?/2.94 gears. (Moroso always shows less hp) on paper>
60 Foot E.T. : 1.86
1/8 Mile E.T. : 8.44
1/8 Mile Trap Speed : 80.54
1/4 Mile E.T. : 13.38
1/4 Mile Trap Speed : 100
You only shifted once as you said is why your car ran what it did.....My stock headed 340 '71 Cuda ran the same, 13.31's@101...3550lbs, 3.55's/26"tyres, that showed 298fwhp...2 gear changes.
With 2.45's I only shifted once. With 2.94's I hit 3rd. I'm probably only shifting at 4800 rpms or so. No tach

And your two usual followers agree with you..:rolleyes:...
Could be because I'm right. I mean, you swing at me for posting this without a car or motor - 12 pages you say. But you went how many pages trying to hook up a tach? Kind of thought it was apples to apples LOL :D

I'm not against dyno's or dyno tuning. Don't miss understand. But at the end of the day, the ET slip will determine the winner, correct??

Correct. BUT if you don't have the ET slip you want, how do you know what the issue is? If you know you have 500 HP and the car runs like it has 300, you know where to go. If you have 800 HP and the car runs like it has 600, then you know where to look.

If you don't have measured power, everything is a guess, at best.

Correct. BUT if you don't have the ET slip you want, how do you know what the issue is? If you know you have 500 HP and the car runs like it has 300, you know where to go. If you have 800 HP and the car runs like it has 600, then you know where to look.

If you don't have measured power, everything is a guess, at best.
you are correct. I can't argue with anything you said. But, I'm just not going to load up a engine, drive 1 hr, spend the day and $$$$, then return home. Usually I end up impressed at what the ET is, and perhaps I'm still leaving something on the table. For example, my 318 did exactly to the "T" on the ET, and 1 mph faster on the mph than what I intended it to do. My 360 has exceeded my expectations. Now this build??? who knows, because who knows what parts I'll find, what car I'll find.

Could be because I'm right. I mean, you swing at me for posting this without a car or motor - 12 pages you say. But you went how many pages trying to hook up a tach? Kind of thought it was apples to apples LOL :D
One difference I actually have the tachometer...

MPH will tell you if it's the motor or the car. If you run 14.35 at 117 mph, well...:rolleyes:… Let me reverse the question. What if you put together a 400 hp motor for the dyno and it only pulls 320? what would you do? I bet the same thing I'd do in my driveway
Guaranteed he wouldn't be swapping converters or considering transmission issues. PRH has way more experiance with engine building, dyno testing, and track feedback than most of us. I took advise and cues from his posts on Moparts eighteen years ago and went 8.77 at 3055 lbs with my 440-1 528.

With 2.45's I only shifted once. With 2.94's I hit 3rd. I'm probably only shifting at 4800 rpms or so. No tach

ok so I'll add this to it>
60 Foot E.T. : 1.86
1/8 Mile E.T. : 8.44
1/8 Mile Trap Speed : 80.54
1/4 Mile E.T. : 13.38
1/4 Mile Trap Speed : 100
1/4 Mile Trap RPM : 3,809 motor still pulling
there wouldn't be much point in shifting anything over 5k, motor prob doesn't make any more power past that anyway, part of why you ran the numbers, understanding what you have and how to use it best.

And I would go along with gregsdart re PRH, he has given us good info re our new BB engine combo for which we have dyno no's for, only an estimated @the line weight of+/-50lbs currently as the block is around+100lbs heavier, and the heads around 40 lighter. Wallace has thrown out some numbers, we'll soon see how close we can get to them, if we are out on any parameters that will give us a good idea of where the deficiency is, its a tool like a dyno is, thats all.

Last edited:
I'm betting less.

I’m not going to say what it makes.

Let’s just say the first number isn’t a “5”.

And..... that would be STP corrected power...... not the uncorrected power you’re racing with at the track.

Conditions for that 10.55@127 pass-
96*
29.94”
38% humidity
135* track temp
DA 3213ft

Last edited:
Guaranteed he wouldn't be swapping converters or considering transmission issues. PRH has way more experiance with engine building, dyno testing, and track feedback than most of us. I took advise and cues from his posts on Moparts eighteen years ago and went 8.77 at 3055 lbs with my 440-1 528.
Let's get this straight: I'm not challenging PRH's experience's or expertise. He has way more than I do, because I'm a back yard hobbyist. All I said and I'll say it again, I'm not taking my engine to a dyno. Period. Nothing against dyno's, if my friend had one across the street I'd be glad to dyno it, but I don't. My dyno is the ET slip is what I said. Same as any engine on the dyno, you make changes and go view the results. Exactly what I do at the track.

I’m not going to say what it makes.

Let’s just say the first number isn’t a “5”.

And..... that would be STP corrected power...... not the uncorrected power you’re racing with at the track.

Conditions for that 10.55@127 pass-
96*
29.94”
38% humidity
135* track temp
DA 3213ft

Damn. So I was at least 15 HP off?? I'm thinking it's more than that by your post. Unreal.

If he has it geared to make it move, he can outrun the HP. Very impressive.

It probably is all gears/converter/rpm and a 60 prob in the very low 1.40's/high 1.3's in which case its somewhat unusual that the mph is that strong in relation to the ET, its spot on actually...impressive surely.
We have a few legal A/SA cars here that run high 9.6's>7's, 60 in the high 1.2's trap in the 8k zone and mph@133>134 which is almost 3/10ths up.

Last edited:
Let's get this straight: I'm not challenging PRH's experience's or expertise. He has way more than I do, because I'm a back yard hobbyist. All I said and I'll say it again, I'm not taking my engine to a dyno. Period. Nothing against dyno's, if my friend had one across the street I'd be glad to dyno it, but I don't. My dyno is the ET slip is what I said. Same as any engine on the dyno, you make changes and go view the results. Exactly what I do at the track.

318 My point was simply he would have more info and less possible problem areas than going to the track only if performance is less than expected.
On top of that, if you are a class racer, that differance is magnifyed a great deal due to chasing much smaller gains. You don't have to change your plans to suit us, but it sure sounded like you disagreed concerning the value of dynoing. I understand inconvieneance and budget considerations when it comes to dynoing motors. I deal with it too. But in my situation it was worth way too much. I also understand the fun of testing and tuning at the track. But it does take more time and a lot of passes. In my case the car eats parts fast, because it is on the edge. That puts a serious limit on the amount of tuning i can do per $$$
I am interested in how you progress. I hope my comments help some. I think of low budget projects as well, and yours is a big challenge. All the more fun.

Last edited:
318 My point was simply he would have more info and less possible problem areas than going to the track only if performance is less than expected.
On top of that, if you are a class racer, that differance is magnifyed a great deal due to chasing much smaller gains. You don't have to change your plans to suit us, but it sure sounded like you disagreed!
Didn't disagree at all :) I think I posted on the past 3 pages that I have nothing against dyno's, and its a viable tool. I simply said I've never gone to one and probably never will, because of time, money, and convenience. I know a lot of 8, 9 and 10 second cars that's never been on a dyno. Yes, I too know a guy for 30+ years that's raced stock eliminator, and was record holder in his class for 4 years straight in the mid 90's. I know how they do it. None of this is new to me. I know how to go fast easy spending money. The reason I'm doing it this way is, in all honesty, it's very hard but a lot more fun. Now, I'll dyno tune my motor when i'm done if they pay for shipping and do it for free. :) (no sarcasm intended, but it stops with their wallets as it does with mine)

Last edited:
For the record, I was never “lobbying” for 318will to take his motor to the dyno.
I was merely pointing out that if you have the data...... you know:
A- whether you have enough power to achieve the desired result
B- what the potential of the motor/car combo is based on the power/weight ratio.

I was also saying......that track results from a poorly configured combo often won’t give you an accurate result for the power output of the motor.

In a build like what is outlined here, where the budget constraints are going to be the #1 hurdle........ a dyno session just isn’t going fall within the budget.

Last edited:
For the record, I was never “lobbying” for 318will to take his motor to the dyno.
I was merely pointing out that if you have the data...... you know:
A- whether you have enough power to achieve the desired result
B- what the potential of the motor/car combo is based on the power/weight ratio.

I was also saying......that track results from a poorly configured combo often won’t give you an accurate result for the power output of the motor.

In a build like what is outlined here, where the budget constraints are going to be the #1 hurdle........ a dyno session just isn’t going fall within the budget.
Agree

I still dyno everything so bring it.

Sounds like an offer for a free dyno session!!

In the spirit of the the build....... I’d say dyno it after the track results...... as a way of seeing how well the combo is making use of the available power.

Sounds like an offer for a free dyno session!!

In the spirit of the the build....... I’d say dyno it after the track results...... as a way of seeing how well the combo is making use of the available power.
get this snowy, cold weather behind us and I can get serious on getting a car. Saw a few I'd be interested in, but nothing so exciting that I had to buy it now.

-
Back