10's on $5,000 ?

-
Well perhaps I'm pouring cold water on this thread but I cannot see it happening for 5k, would be cool if it happened of course, its good to bench race some but being realistic, not a chance, even if its a 440 Duster which has a better chance, the 1970 Roadkill 440 transplant Duster only ran 12.39@113, was probably light and with some issues sorted it could've gone 11.8>9's perhaps? and that had good heads, a cam, 4.10's/tyres that hooked...
Naw, that's fine. Any pigeon can poop on this parade, be it yay or nay it's about fun. Again, I may puke out in the low 12's. But my goal is 10.999. Too many "unknowns" for us to know if it's possible. What car? What engine? etc etc

The title doesn't state make. A Chevy it is...…………...…….. lol

The title doesn't state make. A Chevy it is...…………...…….. lol
I'll put NOS on my mopar before I put a mopar in a chivy..... and I can tell you NOS is NOT in my future!.. LOL

I’m sure the wheels have been turning with regards to what will be used for powering said project.
What’s the general game plan there?

I’m sure the wheels have been turning with regards to what will be used for powering said project.
What’s the general game plan there?
Already have 8.75 rear end (50 bucks), SM aluminum heads (730), Head gaskets and head bolts (60) part of a deal, BB headers and mounts (190). Dealing on a BB motor and tranny, and gears. Deal looks promising. Car should be something of the type and price of what I've posted above.

Last edited:
Already have 8.75 rear end (50 bucks), SM aluminum heads (730), Head gaskets and head bolts (60) part of a deal, BB headers and mounts (190). Dealing on a BB motor and tranny, and gears. Deal looks promising. Car should be something of the type and price of what I've posted above.
So were looking at 1030 already spent.... 3970 to go! :D

I'd be looking for some cheap high compression pistons..........maybe something that has one more go around in them. I'm sure that I have a cam for you but your going to need lifters. If you don't mind fender well headers Hooker says that there Abody headers fit the Fbody and I've got a slightly butchered set. I just might have a torquer intake but I'd need to look.
Ah it's something to think about.

I would like to see this done and I have a good body 75 Valiant 4 dr with no running gear I would donate to the cause. I took everything out from under it to convert my 67 GT "decoy" to BBP and disc brakes. Just have to come to Alabama

A 440 block for a few hundred dollars and probably $500 for a block prep and 2300 for a 440 source stroker kit... I think by the time it was altogether you'd blow your budget but, oh well...

I would like to see this done and I have a good body 75 Valiant 4 dr with no running gear I would donate to the cause. I took everything out from under it to convert my 67 GT "decoy" to BBP and disc brakes. Just have to come to Alabama
everything I find is hours and hours away.. :) Something close will show up, i'm confident. If not, one of my Dusters will work, and that's real close to me … LOL

It is a really good rust free and cheap if you decide to make the trip. I have it in barn and would load it on trailer for you.

It is a really good rust free and cheap if you decide to make the trip. I have it in barn and would load it on trailer for you.
Thanks, but a 1000 miles one way means lots of gas, food, renting a trailer, vacation days used.... plus if it needs everything put back under it.... but thanks again anyways
:thumbsup:

I did try to buy a '80 Dodge D150 2wd today that looked good and was very close to me, but I was late - someone beat me to it. I know, the weight and wind resistance would all but end the quest for 10.9's. Still look'n .... and will look much harder when winter moves past us :)

I bet the mid 70's more door A body will likely be the cheapest and lightest.
Everything far away, I found such abandoned other day I (and you) could have for free. Just cut away a few scrubs get it out of the timber. That car would be priced at $2000 on CL and Marketplace!!! lol

A 440 block for a few hundred dollars and probably $500 for a block prep and 2300 for a 440 source stroker kit... I think by the time it was altogether you'd blow your budget but, oh well...

440 would get it there.
Really it's just about hp/torque vs weight and a car that works well. Cubic inch is one of the easiest ways to get the HP/torque, no doubt about it. 440 would be my preferred engine. I'll be happy to work with a 400 as well.

It’s unlikely the hp/ci will change much with what the budget will facilitate for mods........ so using a 400 instead of a comparable 440 will result in roughly a 10% reduction of hp.
However....... it’s easier with these budget builds to get beyond the 1ft-lb/ci than it is hp/ci.
Meaning the difference in tq will be a bit bigger than the difference in hp.

Take a typical 500hp/520tq 440.
Scale it down to 400 cubes and you’re at 455hp/473tq....... keeping the hp/tq per ci the same.

Plus, if using those big SM heads, the 400 will be less forgiving to having the combo be “off”.

Last edited:
It’s unlikely the hp/ci will change much with what the budget will facilitate for mods........ so using a 400 instead of a comparable 440 will result in roughly a 10% reduction of hp.
However....... it’s easier with these budget builds to get beyond the 1ft-lb/ci than it is hp/ci.
Meaning the difference in tq will be a bit bigger than the difference in hp.

Take a typical 500hp/520tq 440.
Scale it down to 400 cubes and you’re at 455hp/473tq....... keeping the hp/tq per ci the same.

Plus, if using those big SM heads, the 400 will be less forgiving to having the combo be “off”.
Depends on what I end up paying for a car.... Maybe there would be room for the 2200 dollar stroker kit - make the 400 a 499 C.I.

I seriously doubt a stroker kit is going to fit within the budget.

In my mind, I see reality(if a $5k budget is a real thing) being more like trying to find a motor home 440 shortblock, complete, that doesn’t need an actual “rebuild”, for under $500...... and re-ringing it.

The possible hurdle being...... 440 blocks may go for pretty good $$$ in your area.

Last edited:
-
Back