Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 1970 chrysler 383

Votes: 34 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

440SCOUT

Reaction score
I just purchased a 26 chrysler for a rat rod project ,and i have some engine options.
whats your opinion??

I would use a first gen Hemi, but between what you have listed the 383 is with out a doubt the way to go.... "there's no replacment for displacment"! A warm 360 would be nice too, IMO you got a Mopar, keep it Mopar.

Early 354 or 392 is the way to go. little horse trading with the others should get you there.

I would have to stay with the 383 8)
I think a trans and rear would be an easy and good looking build for me anyway.:clock:
But if I was going to do a rod it would be a leaning tower of power with
with a six to one long tub header and a four speed and look about like this
4 banger rod.:-D

ebay402 104.jpg

Hear is my idea on this.
Most will pick the 383,and I am sure it will be the winner,but do you want to be just a nother big block car with a regular motor ,or are you a balls to the wall type person and like to buck the system.Be the only rod with a 49 straight 6 done up with all the goodies and be different,so when you are at a show,even if 2000 cars show up,your the only one with that combo,mrmopartech

Hear is my idea on this.
Most will pick the 383,and I am sure it will be the winner,but do you want to be just a nother big block car with a regular motor ,or are you a balls to the wall type person and like to buck the system.Be the only rod with a 49 straight 6 done up with all the goodies and be different,so when you are at a show,even if 2000 cars show up,your the only one with that combo,mrmopartech

Take it one further and go with the Studeapecker! Caddies and Nailheads are common place at the rat rod shows, the old hemis are cool but they are getting like small block chevies, everyone is useing them, the big block mopar would be cool but like mrmopartech says you would be just another big block car and I am starting to see more and more flathead 6 dodge motors at the shows now.

Of the choice's you listed, I said 383. Another option would be to go with a modern Hemi and tranny. Convert to a carb setup if you don't want or have the electronics. Whatever you go with you will be doing some converting so why not?

Jack

these are all valid points...
the options posted are all engines i have currently that are doing nothing..
thats why there are no hemis listed (they cost money and i am a cheap bastard) the flat heads were my first thought. the 49 dodge is in a truck that another one of my friends is swapping a 273 into ...the studebaker engine is from my uncles 49 truck that he supposedly hotrodded in the late 50's, my brother inherited it and we are swapping a 400 mopar into that one...
the cadillac is a runner i got in trade for the slant six from my dads volare..
the 383 i pulled from my 1970 dodge crewcab and replaced it with a 440 from a 67 imperial, that 383 needs a cam but thats easy...i am leaning towards the v-8s because i like getting in trouble...... lol
anyone have an early hemi cheap or want to trade???
thanks for th input guys...

Show a little respect for the marque and restore the original engine!

To make a rat rod out of a '26 Chrysler is a sacrilege!

motor.jpg

i dont have enough of the original car to put it bac to original.. it is missing the complete interior everything that is wood .. ie roof, no floor boards, no glass,engine, trans,.. the guy i am getting it from was using it for a parts car on his other projects and it no longer has any parts hee needs.. so its not exactly restoration material in my opinion .. unless you are interested in restoring it i will sell it to you and look for another body for my rat rod project..
i was looking for a ford body because i thought they would be more common, but when i found a mopar body i thought it was a sign!!

maybe I'm not paying attention, but I don't see where the choices are. I have a 318 POLY (if you can find the heads, HEMI), even if you can't it could be built for a minimum 500HP, but it runs good as is, stock.

Well in true rat-rod tradition, you use whatever you can get CHEAP.

A slant 6 would be more than adequate, fit well, and I bet somebody on this site would darn near give you one. Just a thought...

What could make that 383 swap a little different would be some long ram cross ram manifolds on that puppy.....

Well in true rat-rod tradition, you use whatever you can get CHEAP.

A slant 6 would be more than adequate, fit well, and I bet somebody on this site would darn near give you one. Just a thought...
well the 4 options i have posted cost me a total of $0.00..
a slant would work and i know for a fact i could get at least three of them today for free but if im going to go with a six i think the flatheads are more suited for my vintage theme...

What could make that 383 swap a little different would be some long ram cross ram manifolds on that puppy.....
also would be cool ,but ive seen those and they are WAY out of my price range...
thanks for the insight..

back to the top .. there has to be more than 32 people on here with an opinion ... maybe i should have made "who cares" as an option...lol

Scout,

I would go with the high winding oversquare 383. It's just made for a light car like a rod. Tunnel rams are availible everywhere too.

-
Back