1963 Dart 170 2 Door Post Resto

-
Dash and wiring installed again.

Dash installed.jpg

Dash installed2.jpg

Progress, slow...really slow. Got a little more done again. Lately it seems difficult to find time to get out to the shop. Unfortunate as the car is getting close to completion finally.

Got the instrument cluster installed. I thought my original was in good shape to reuse...not! My memory was a lot off on that one...lol. Almost all of the chrome was gone from the shift panel and instrument panel. All of it was gone from the heater controls. I was lucky enough to find someone on ebay with a nice shift bezel. I also found a guy close by with an instrument panel in decent shape minus the guages. I took the opportunity to repaint the silver on the shift bezel and instrument cluster with metallic silver. Came out pretty good. Repainted the needles with florescent model paint while it was apart. Took a while to find the right screws in a big bag of hardware the previous owner was nice enough to include but not label. Polished up the chrome parts as well as I could while I was at it. Not perfect but as it isn't going to be a show car, I'm happy with it. May send it out eventually to be restored, but hope to drive it this year.

Cleaned up and repainted the heater controls as well. All the chrome was gone so I just repainted it all metallic silver. I tried a permanent marker to see if it would hold up for the lettering...it didn't...at all, lol. Went out and bought a fine tip oil paint marker and went over them. Tedious but came out pretty good. Again polished up the chrome, lubed the cables to ensure smooth motion after a soak in evaporust overnight and installed it in the car. Looks better than in the picture as the picture has the reflection from the knobs.

Had a little fun remembering where each of the longer cables went as my pictures during disassembly went missing, but I got it done. Installed the new defrost hoses while I was under there. Not a fun job. Discovered the hard way that the hoses listed for the 63 dart do not include the reducers for the heater box. I have no clue why. Did some have the same size ducts? Either way I found a cheap (ish) solution. Went to home depot and picked up a shielded flexible coupling. I removed the outer metal sleeve and cut off one end and it was a perfect tight fit over the lower duct, leaving room for both hoses still. Upper is tight enough I think without a sleeve.

Even got the steering column all cleaned up and ready to install. Installed new signal switch assembly I bought off a member on here. Just need to add grease to the coupling and install the cap. Waiting on a firewall gasket. I could have sworn I ordered one, but my parts list shows otherwise so a waiting game again.

Got the heater hoses installed and finished the bulkhead wiring. Should soon be able to fire it up again.

Unfortunately I did have one setback. I went to install the last exhaust clamp (one I had to make and had to wait on parts to do so) and discovered that when I welded the exhaust it shifted enough that the tail pipe hits the gas tank. Have to cut the pipe at the muffler, reclock it slightly (not much room for error) and reweld it again. REALLY wish I caught this before installing the rear diff.

I think I'm about at the point to give the shop a good cleaning (after the exhaust repair of course), and do final sanding and taping for final paint. Would LOVE to see this car finally in color early next month. Just want to finish the under car stuff (exhaust repair, fill rear diff and bleed brakes) so I can pull the car off the dollies for better access to the roof when Painting. I have low platform scaffolds that might work to help, but time will tell how I approach that one. I am new at this painting thing after all.

Stay tuned...

instrument panel installed.jpg

heater control painted.jpg

heater control install.jpg

steering shaft cleaned.jpg

steering column rebuilt.jpg

A little more progress...or at least back to where I was before finding a couple issues anyway...lol.

Jacked up the car last night and fixed the exhaust issue. Actually went much better than expected. Used my small cut off tool and cut the muffler just ahead of the previous weld doing my best to only cut the muffler tube and not the inner sleeve from the tail pipe. After i Had the cut half done I made a couple of reference marks with a permanent marker so I would know how much I turned the pipe and finished the cut. Twisted the pipe to a better position and even angled it a fraction so it ran nice and straight and tacked it back together. Then I reinstalled the clamps to confirm position. To my surprise, I got it perfect on my first try, nice and centered between the frame rail and fuel tank, with the tail pipe going straight along the frame rail out the back. Even gained some muffler to hand brake cable bracket clearance.

Pulled it back down and proceeded to weld it all the way around. Got a little spatter on the stainless muffler where I forgot to wrap it with the weld blanket but not bad. Reinstalled both of the clamps and am really happy with how it looks.

Also had my wife assist me with final adjustment of the trunk lid now that I have the trunk latch reinstalled. Was a little too far back. It was like this from the factory, but I wanted it closer to proper. Looks real close now.

Finally, I finished up with the steering column. Added grease to the steering coupling and closed it back up. A bit of a pain getting the cover crimped nice and tight but I managed.

I think I am about ready to do the final sand and paint. Just need to finish cleaning up the shop. Started organizing and cleaning a bit (was never organized from the day I finished building it. Was almost done when my son took sick and everything just got shoved in. After he passed I never organized it properly. Needed to work on something so thats how it went. Now trying to bit by bit find a proper home for everything and get it set up right). Funny how when you start cleaning it gets much worse before you actually start seeing any progress...lol.

Maybe I'll actually get a drive or two in before the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

So, it has finally begun. The final hand sanding before paint. My shoulder can confirm that :p . Got the drivers side all sanded and the hood and passenger fender yesterday. Hoping my shoulder holds up enough to finish sanding today. Then a REALLY good clean up, wash the floors and I'm hoping color by the end of the week. The taping is going to be the most tedious part I think.

So, had a bit of a delay on getting the car ready for color. First, work got super busy. Then second, the family had plans to go to the next province over to visit with my brother for a week so preparations for that took a bunch of time. We bought an old truck and were going to bring it back with us to sell to finance the trip. Plans there changed too.

Found a different truck while we were there and bought it. Keeping this one too build for my wife. A 1949 international kb-2 (I know, not Mopar, but I've never been brand specific on what I like, and the deal was awesome so here we go). The other is still at my brother's. Guess another trip next year...lol.

Finally got back at the car today a bit. Only one quarter panel and the valances and hand sanding is done. Also doing some work on the headlight bezels. They were rough, so I straightened them out as best as I could (got them pretty close) and sanded all the anodizing off. Did a skim coat of filler on the outer ring and polished the face and inner ring. Going to prime and paint the outer ring body color to pull the headlights into the body. I've seen it done and like the look.

Hopefully I'm getting back on track. Want this done before winter.

Here's the truck for my wife. Super solid and all original.

20220821_143019.jpg

Here's the car today. Looks sooooo much better than the day it came home

20220825_132508_HDR.jpg

So, had a bit of a delay on getting the car ready for color. First, work got super busy. Then second, the family had plans to go to the next province over to visit with my brother for a week so preparations for that took a bunch of time. We bought an old truck and were going to bring it back with us to sell to finance the trip. Plans there changed too.

Found a different truck while we were there and bought it. Keeping this one too build for my wife. A 1949 international kb-2 (I know, not Mopar, but I've never been brand specific on what I like, and the deal was awesome so here we go). The other is still at my brother's. Guess another trip next year...lol.

Finally got back at the car today a bit. Only one quarter panel and the valances and hand sanding is done. Also doing some work on the headlight bezels. They were rough, so I straightened them out as best as I could (got them pretty close) and sanded all the anodizing off. Did a skim coat of filler on the outer ring and polished the face and inner ring. Going to prime and paint the outer ring body color to pull the headlights into the body. I've seen it done and like the look.

View attachment 1715975897

View attachment 1715975898
Hey, that's about where I'm at with my Scamp, lol.
IMG_20220808_171644_1CS.jpg

Almost ready for paint this week.
That truck looks really nice! Great new project for you.

View attachment 1715975897

View attachment 1715975898

Hey, that's about where I'm at with my Scamp, lol.
View attachment 1715976054
Almost ready for paint this week.
That truck looks really nice! Great new project for you.

When you guys are painting your car in your garage, how much overspray are you getting on everything in the garage? Or are you draping painters plastic over everything?

When you guys are painting your car in your garage, how much overspray are you getting on everything in the garage? Or are you draping painters plastic over everything?
A lot of purists aren't gonna like my answer here but it works for me.
1. I open the big door to the garage and the back door to cause a cross flow of air.
IMG_20220826_121429.jpg
IMG_20220826_121402.jpg

2. I pick a day when the weather is going to cooperate. The wind has to be out of the north or northwest, or calm. Not a humid day. For instance, today wouldn't be a good day to spray for me because the wind is coming from the south and in through the big door. The only overspray I get from a HVLP gun is on the floor. When I used a Binks #7, suction feed gun I had overspray everywhere. Had to cover everything with plastic and hang plastic from the ceiling all around.
I've painted a lot of stuff over the years, boats, cars, locomotives, and things have changed quite a bit.

1. I open the big door to the garage and the back door to cause a cross flow of air.
View attachment 1715976074 View attachment 1715976075

2. I pick a day when the weather is going to cooperate. The wind has to be out of the north or northwest, or calm. Not a humid day. For instance, today wouldn't be a good day to spray for me because the wind is coming from the south and in through the big door. The only overspray I get from a HVLP gun is on the floor. When I used a Binks #7, suction feed gun I had overspray everywhere. Had to cover everything with plastic and hang plastic from the ceiling all around.
I've painted a lot of stuff over the years, boats, cars, locomotives, and things have changed quite a bit.

I cover the seats and a few other items with plastic but don't really see any overspray. I also hang tarps around the car from the ceiling to floor to contain the painting area. I do not open the door but do wait for a day that the humidity is low. I also use an hvlp gun. Still somewhat new at painting but results have been pretty good thus far

View attachment 1715976074 View attachment 1715976075

I cover the seats and a few other items with plastic but don't really see any overspray. I also hang tarps around the car from the ceiling to floor to contain the painting area. I do not open the door but do wait for a day that the humidity is low. I also use an hvlp gun. Still somewhat new at painting but results have been pretty good thus far

Thank you both. I'll be spraying the jams and trunk on my 66 soon and am coming up with a game plan. I probably can't get away with an open garage door (at least not wide open) in this neighborhood, but a strategically placed box fan and some cracked doors should work out fine. Good to know about the overspray with the HVLP guns. Thanks again!

upload_2022-8-26_10-56-6.png

I applaud your OCD; the car is going to look spectacular when done. And thanks for the P7 tip; I saved that for future reference.

Thank you both. I'll be spraying the jams and trunk on my 66 soon and am coming up with a game plan. I probably can't get away with an open garage door (at least not wide open) in this neighborhood, but a strategically placed box fan and some cracked doors should work out fine. Good to know about the overspray with the HVLP guns. Thanks again!

View attachment 1715976078

Be sure to have adequate ventilation. And a fresh air setup or very least the best respirator you can buy. Protect your eyes also. Buy a throw away suit. That chit brother some not at all and some are allergic to it and it can KILL YOU> Suck those fumes OUT and get some fresh air IN.
I might well have to much pressure, but I get overspray anywhere and everywhere. But I am messy!

Well, after a long break from the car (almost 2 months now...I know not really that long, but long when you are this close to the finish) I finally made myself go back at it again today. Got the final hand sanding all done on the car. Still have to wipe everything down and take a close inspection to make sure I'm happy with it but looks good right now. Also put the final skim of filler on the headlight rings (painting outer ring to pull it into the body more...and because of previous damage to the rings I wasn't happy with). Hopefully one more sand on the rings, a light sand on my spare rim and I'll be ready for a shot of sealer on those items and the one or 2 spots I blew through the primer on the car and I'll be ready for color.

Still a small chance it'll at least get pulled out of the garage on it's own power to see the finished color in the daylight before the snow flies.

Also managed to get the steering column and wheel installed today. Had to make my own gasket out of a black foam I purchased from a craft store as the one I ordered for my car didn't fit. Looks great. Steering is nice and smooth and no slop at all. Super pleased with the results. Ran outta time before work so pictures will have to come later

As promised. Got it cleaned up a little inside as well. (after the pictures of course)

Prepped the spare rim today and did another sanding of the headlight rings. Think I still need one more touchup before final primer. (may or may not have sanded too much ;P ). Had to weld up 6 holes in the edges of my spare rim where someone drilled 3 holes on either side I'm assuming for a poor mans bead lock. Got that all cleaned up and just need a light sand and spray so I can install the spare tire to have a matching spare.

Column installed.jpg

Column installed2.jpg

Column installed3.jpg

Did some cleaning in the shop in preparation for paint. Still lots to organize and clean up but making headway at least. Pulled the car off the wheel dollies. First time the car has sat on the floor on its own wheels in 3 years. Rolled it out to clean up a bit underneath and it rolls really easy.

Hopefully I'll get back out today and tomorrow and be pretty much ready to tape off the car and paint. Fingers crossed. Seems every time I try to get ready to finish this car something happens.

Anyway, here's some final pictures of the finish sand. Hopefully the next ones show it taped up and then in color. Really happy with how it looks right now, especially the roof considering what I started with. Only hope in color it looks as good.

Final sand 1.jpg

final sand 2.jpg

final sand 3.jpg

final sand 4.jpg

final sand 5.jpg

final sand 6.jpg

final sand 7.jpg

final sand 8.jpg

final sand 9.jpg

So, had a few delays getting the car ready for paint. Had to get the yard ready for fall and then Halloween (wife wanted her fall display, and happy wife...). Also, super busy with work. Then just as I was getting back at it everyone in the house caught covid. That sucked. Kicked the crap out of me for a few days. Then one after another we all caught it. Fortunately it looks like it in the rear view.

Got out the last couple days and made good headway with taping off the car. Also got the spare rim fixed up and blasted. Someone drilled 3 holes in either side of the rim for poor man's beadlocks. Welded them up and now its ready for primer and paint when I spray the entire car.

I also wasn't happy with the radio delete panel I had. The original was missing a pin and the spare was pitted pretty badly so I made a new pin and epoxied it to the original and bead blasted it. Looks good and ready to go.

Hopefully another good day or two and I'm ready to spray. Gotta say, I love the 3m foam tape. made taping the trunk opening really easy. Not cheap though. I also washed down the back half of the car to get the dust and dirt off it. Still have to go over with solvent and a tack rag before paint but it looks and feels really good so far

Taping progress.jpg

rim.jpg

halloween 1.jpg

halloween 2.jpg

halloween 3.jpg

LOL....ummmm, NO! That's actually my wife's truck. We picked it up on a whim when I was visiting my brother. Never planned to buy it as we already had a truck to restore (that one is a 49...the other is a 51). My wife likes the body lines better on the older ones and it was an amazing deal, so we grabbed it. It goes in after the dart is done. I get to keep the 51 for myself now. It's a win-win for me. (I'll probably be doing most of the driving in the 49 anyway :) )

Thinking patina look on mine.

Dents tapped out.jpg

Some dents tapped out.jpg

49 washed.jpg

in back yard.jpg

Getting there...

A handy tip on taping larger areas. A dollar store drop sheet plastic sheet is a great cheap way to tape off bigger openings.

I had to tape off the underside of my hood and the engine bay as I needed access to the front corners of the hood to paint, so as I had this handy I figured I'd give it a try. Nice and light weight and wraps around edges easily. Had to tape around the hinges as I needed to be able to raise and lower the hood. I'll probably respray the hinges anyway as they are exposed and the bolts got scratched when the hood was reinstalled.

Taping progress 2.jpg

taping progress 3.jpg

-
Back