1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
I have searched hi and low, plowed through ads, checked on Ebay but not found them.

Ulf - in reference to Idler and Piman arms, Rock Auto has cheapo (probably Chinese-made) eRly A idler arms for around $20. They do not show any early A pitman arms but Steer and Gear will rebuild your original - for $170!!

A picture would be great Don!

Here you go!
17756848-F9E1-4318-A52D-D83E5980DA7D.jpeg

3C744B74-5D77-4347-B923-9830C60855B7.jpeg

6AA541A3-575C-4D4D-AE4E-2F80D1A0EFCC.jpeg

93E21B21-87D7-436F-9C2E-F4E60F3B53A0.jpeg

85CC9046-9A2F-4F35-BD42-813520981617.jpeg

0F5AA5AB-B10B-4FF5-A63E-EFD72F6A15B4.jpeg

B5B3273B-3DB0-4C53-BD7B-396BA1DD8DAB.jpeg

DF02B3CB-3DAF-422A-81E2-2BF261E5B2A8.jpeg

Thanks Don but mine is in that condition too so I'll pass on them. Not sure how they crack. I mean you don't crash your knee against it!!
Today a most wanted box showed up from USA! When me and Johan was at Carlisle last year we bought some mouldings and I bought a NOS exhaust pipe too. The package was well done by my good friend Don.
After opening the box I found all the plates that I bought from him. Pictures will come later.
Mouldings were in great condition and upon closer examination I found out that the pipe was for 1964 to 1966 a-body wagons with V8 with 2 barrel engines! I could not believe it! Catching!!!! That will fit the wagon like a glove!
Thank you Don for all your help. It's worth alot for Swedish carnuts like Johan and myself!

DSC_2414.JPG

DSC_2415.JPG

After some searching I found a NOS muffler and hanger for the exhaust system.
Ready to install and a guy here in Sweden can do the special tail pipe for wagon. When I get that part I'm ready to start up the engine!

DSC_2421.JPG

Today was the mount the exhaust system day. I really enjoy new stuff!

I also found a lower red plastic moulding to be added on the inside on the lower part of the windshield gasket. Was this standard on all cars? I've seen it on a red interior Dart 65 once.

DSC_2433.JPG

DSC_2435.JPG

DSC_2434.JPG

I also found a lower red plastic moulding to be added on the inside on the lower part of the windshield gasket. Was this standard on all cars? I've seen it on a red interior Dart 65 once.
They may have been standard on 270/GT and 200/Signet/Barracudas. I’ve got gold ones from a Signet ‘vert and Barracuda and a blue one from my wagon

Edit: and yours is in much better shape than my sun-warped plastic moldings

Last edited:
Ulf.....I have seen it all!!
I'm at a loss for words.......just amazing!
Sorry, this is out of sequence, I wrote it after viewing your potato carving.

Ulf.....I have seen it all!!
I'm at a loss for words.......just amazing!
Sorry, this is out of sequence, I wrote it after viewing your potato carving.
Hope you liked it! It also shows that small efforts can make a big difference.

Today I started to apply some glue to get the tailgate weatherstripping in place. The weatherstripping is a masterpiece from Joe Souchy.
Some trimming is required but when it's finally there it looks great!

DSC_2480.JPG

DSC_2481.JPG

Last edited:
The last door is done. Got the new door handles from Vans. Was also getting the rear ash trays so now the inside armrests are done.

DSC_2491.JPG

DSC_2489.JPG

Ok, finally I was able to put the last piece to the front end. I bought a nice set of new Monroe front shocks here on FABO and they arrived yesterday!

Factory blue was fast changed to factory black. I even found a set of silver cad washers for them. Turned out great. The NOS pitman arm is in place too. Next will be to adjust the alignment.

I was able to to find a company Rogers Custom here in Sweden who manifacture complete exhaust system. So I placed an order for the tailpipe for wagons only.

Fire it up is around the corner!

DSC_2519.JPG

DSC_2522.JPG

DSC_2525.JPG

DSC_2523.JPG

Today the door weatherstripping showed up from US. I would not say that it is color matched but red wasn't to bad compared to maroon.

It required some trimming but fitted well. However the door needed some adjustment but it needs to be closed hard. I guess and hope that the weatherstrip will fit better over time. I mounted the front carpet hold downs and it looks great.

The rear small painted cardboard was not so good. Tomorrow I will make two new and paint them.

DSC_2538.JPG

DSC_2539.JPG

DSC_2540.JPG

DSC_2541.JPG

I have read that the rubber on the door seal will “relax” after awhile so the door won’t be so hard to shut.

I ordered mine from Restorations Specialties and the color (metallic blue) matched perfectly with the old weatherstrip that was not sun-faded. Your red would certainly look better than maroon!

Do you think the door striker plates on the door jamb were originally cad plated? I am getting ready to send to Eric a small order for cad plating and can send a set of 4 if they were cad plated. I am not sure what it’s called; you mentioned sending him this part of tailgate hinging for cad plating. I have an extra if you need one cad plated
image.jpg

I have read that the rubber on the door seal will “relax” after awhile so the door won’t be so hard to shut.

I ordered mine from Restorations Specialties and the color (metallic blue) matched perfectly with the old weatherstrip that was not sun-faded. Your red would certainly look better than maroon!

Do you think the door striker plates on the door jamb were originally cad plated? I am getting ready to send to Eric a small order for cad plating and can send a set of 4 if they were cad plated. I am not sure what it’s called; you mentioned sending him this part of tailgate hinging for cad plating. I have an extra if you need one cad platedView attachment 1715150302
Don! The door strikers and the tail gate hinging should be silver zinc. Include the screws for the strikers too!

I will have to check with Eric and see if he can do the silver zinc. I bet that tailgate hinge is silver zinc

I will have to check with Eric and see if he can do the silver zinc. I bet that tailgate hinge is silver zinc
He can do it for you. I will soon send him parts going for silver zinc, silver cad and yellow dichromate.

Tonight I was able to cut new cardbore panels and paint them. With the inside mouldings it looks great. A little tricky to cut the carpet correct so it doesn't interfear with the carpet hold down mouldings!

DSC_2541.JPG

DSC_2542.JPG

DSC_2545.JPG

The last piece of the puzzle arrived. After hours of cutting and adjusting the complete exhaust system is in place. The only thing that is visible is the exhaust tip!!

Well, I hope it works well.

DSC_2569.JPG

DSC_2570.JPG

Don! Re the drier, where did you send it? I guess I need to recharge mine too!

I sent it to Classic Air down in Tampa FL.

In fact they have my compressor and hoses right now to rebuild the compressor and restore the hose fittings back to original and add new barrier hoses. Friend and member FWDLK Frank was making a trip to the area and brought my stuff as well as 2 sets of his for rebuild (saved on the shipping). He hopes to pick everything up on a return trip in May or June to save on the return shipping.

Finally after 14 month it was time to start up the totally overhauled 273. She ran like a kitten!
Next would be to add the last vacuum hose to the intake manifold and tune the carb and distributor.

DSC_2575.JPG

Ulf, did all 65 Darts have the exhaust exiting the side under the quarter panel? It's been so long since I had mine, I don't remember.
Only wagons did, and I believe most wagons of all makes did. The idea was to keep exhaust fumes from entering the tailgate glass if it was open while the engine is running. I don't know how well that worked. :)

-
Back