1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
Although my wagon’s column is long gone,I don’t remember seeing the parts to actuate the back up light switch. Maybe they had been broken off?
Ahhh!
If it's like my 67 GTX column shift auto, then there is an approximately 1/4 " pin coming off the steering column that rotates when you shift. Its a plastic insert that always breaks off. I tapped the hole and threaded in a steel pin that works perfectly. I think I have pics if that's the switch you'e referring to.

Although my wagon’s column is long gone,I don’t remember seeing the parts to actuate the back up light switch. Maybe they had been broken off?
I know for sure they are hard to find

Today I was able to press out the pin for the prop shaft. Then I clean it and installed the new robber boot. Next step was to press back the pin. After two hoirs I was done.

Now finally I have the prop shaft in place. Next was to adjust the shifting cable.

DSC_2309.JPG

DSC_2305.JPG

DSC_2320.JPG

If I was to use an original 65 904 or 833 I would not bother to use the ball and trunnion style driveshaft- it would definitely be the conversion setup!

9823CD1C-5548-4261-8D17-600615F83C22.jpeg

Last edited:
If I was to use an original 65 904 or 833 I would not bother to use the ball and trunnion style driveshaft- it would definitely be the conversion setup!View attachment 1715127064

What car is that from Don?

It actually fits a 65 Valiant or Barracuda with the flange on the end for a ball and trunnion 904 or 833 with an 8.75 rear end. They can be made longer for use with a 7.25 rear end or for a Dart with whatever rear end you have. If I were to use my 833 in the wagon it would bolt right in but may end up using a 904 with a regular slip yoke with the 273.

Last edited:
Today was a clean and polish day. The sillbplates and the carpet hold downs wasn't on the best shape. But after 2 houts of steel wool I got them as I wanted.
I even had time to clean up the 65 Dart commercial plate. I will get a light fabricated for it.

DSC_2332.JPG

DSC_2334.JPG

DSC_2341.JPG

So finally time for the original carburator, Carter. Complete working cab that's never been apart. At least what I know of!
Glass beading, new gaskets, nos choke pull-off made it almost back to how it was when new. Does anyone know where to get that special gasket towards the air cleaner?
Next will be to move the shifting cable. The kick-down linkage does not work free!

DSC_2342.JPG

DSC_2343.JPG

DSC_2344.JPG

DSC_2345.JPG

DSC_2346.JPG

DSC_2347.JPG

DSC_2348.JPG

DSC_2349.JPG

DSC_2350.JPG

By chance you have a picture of the gasket between the top and the base? Mine keeps leaking down the base of the carb

By chance you have a picture of the gasket between the top and the base? Mine keeps leaking down the base of the carb
Yes, this is how my broken gasket looks like in profile.
Today was a great day just adding the decals, air cleaner and a nos hose between the breather cap and the air cleaner!

DSC_2348.JPG

DSC_2359.JPG

DSC_2360.JPG

DSC_2362.JPG

Today I did the tailgate adjustments and connected the cables. First time in yearsvthe tailgate could be handled by the key!
At Carlise last year I stood talking with Joe Souchy when he told me that he repopped the tailgate weatherstrip for 1965 B-bodies.
After a closer look it is the same profile as A-body wagons! So next would be to get some glue to get it in place.

DSC_2372.JPG

DSC_2373.JPG

hi,,do you still have yr pitman arm? iam looking for one for my 65 dart,,thanks
Send 65dartman a PM.

I have searched hi and low, plowed through ads, checked on Ebay but not found them. Tonight I started to remodel a inside A-piller moulding from a 2 dr hardtop. The difference is that the moulding continues in a inside roof rail moulding on a hardtop. After some examination it is molded with a curve to follow the line. Some grinding and sandning and we're ready to sand the whole moulding.

DSC_2392.JPG

Ulf - I think I have an extra set of A pillar moldings - will take a look tonight. If so they might save you some work!

Ulf - I think I have an extra set of A pillar moldings - will take a look tonight. If so they might save you some work!

I dug out both sets - the originals from my wagon and a set another member brought back from AZ. Both sets have some issues on each piece of trim - broken ends mostly. I can take pics if you’d like.

Like you I have a mint set of hardtop moldings which I will try to use with the upper roof rail trim.

I dug out both sets - the originals from my wagon and a set another member brought back from AZ. Both sets have some issues on each piece of trim - broken ends mostly. I can take pics if you’d like.

Like you I have a mint set of hardtop moldings which I will try to use with the upper roof rail trim.
A picture would be great Don!

-
Back