1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
From doing the Dart Charger I found out that the factory applied plastic film on the inside of the door and it goes inside the door at the bottom. That plastic film prevent the door panels from getting wet when bad weather or washing the car.
The plastic film is held in place with the upper crome moulding and black telp on the bottom and sides.
The cleaning of the a/c air outlets is something else. What a mess but it feels great to have it back in like new condition. It is a great difference between after and before!

DSC_2280.JPG

DSC_2281.JPG

DSC_2282.JPG

DSC_2283.JPG

Yeah the a.c. outlets on dad' 67 look same as yours. Tedious and time consuming. Rechroming will be pricey.
Yours look good. Nice work Ulf.

I'm restoring a 65 Valiant Signet. I bought a 65 Dodge Dart out of California for a donor car. It has stock AC and I'm wondering if the parts are worth saving. Are these AC systems rare? Someone had removed the compressor but I have all the other pieces.

Someone restoring a factory AC early A will definitely want all the bits and pieces. Two items that are hard to find is the horizontal drier and heater/AC control bezel. Out of 324487 total 65 Darts made, just 21320 (or 6.5% out of total made) were equipped with factory AC (not the knee knocker style).

Last edited:
20171230_102138.jpg
20171230_102155.jpg
Someone restoring a factory AC early A will definitely want all the bits and pieces. Two items that are hard to find is the horizontal drier and heater/AC control bezel. Out of 324487 total 65 Dart made, just 21320 (or 6.5% out of total made) were equipped with factory AC (not the knee knocker style).
That' s good information ....thanks

That's a good catch for someone needing it. As Don mentioned there isn't too many a/c cars out there.

First day of the year included some progress too. I was able to mount the a/c outlet after some trouble putting it back together with only two hands! I wonder how they mounted it at the plant? To add it under the dash is a little tricky due to the paper air hoses. They could easily crack!

The gas pedal needed a good cleaning and some glycerin to become in like new condition. Mounted as factory did it.

Next was the kick panel for the right side. The old panels looked so worned out so I fabricated new ones, painted them and added the plastic strip in the front. Tomorrow I will do the left side after adding cables for the back up lights. I know it wasn't factory but I could not find tail light lenses without backup lights!

DSC_2288.JPG

DSC_2289.JPG

DSC_2290.JPG

DSC_2291.JPG

DSC_2293.JPG

DSC_2296.JPG

DSC_2294.JPG

DSC_2295.JPG

First day of the year included some progress too. I was able to mount the a/c outlet after some trouble putting it back together with only two hands! I wonder how they mounted it at the plant? To add it under the dash is a little tricky due to the paper air hoses. They could easily crack!

I will refer back to this when I go to mount mine - by myself unless I can get my wife to lend a couple of hands!

The gas pedal needed a good cleaning and some glycerin to become in like new condition. Mounted as factory did it.

My pedal looks NOS, even though I'm sure it's not. The bracket assembly is already cleaned, painted and ready to install whenever I get to that point.

Next was the kick panel for the right side. The old panels looked so worned out so I fabricated new ones, painted them and added the plastic strip in the front. Tomorrow I will do the left side

A friend and FABO member FWDLK Frank was making some kick panels for his 65 Valiant and made me a set as well in the correct blue color.
DE60564D-6BDA-4166-ACE5-052307F939C3.jpeg

....after adding cables for the back up lights. I know it wasn't factory but I could not find tail light lenses without backup lights!

Here is a link for a wagon taillight lens without the backup lens: Mopar NOS 1965 Dodge Dart Station Wagon Left Hand Taillight Lens 2525699 | eBay[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Your dash is beautiful. Nice job!
When I bought the Dart, I thought the AC unit was an after market bolt on. I saw the same unit on a 68 ? Barracuda and the owner told me it was original. He showed me the original AC sticker on 1 of the windows. So obviouly the same unit was used for a number of years. This Dart also had retractable front and rear seat belts, a window washer system and full set of green tinted windows. Would have been a nice car when it was new.
Cheers Dave

When I bought the Dart, I thought the AC unit was an after market bolt on. I saw the same unit on a 68 ? Barracuda and the owner told me it was original. He showed me the original AC sticker on 1 of the windows. So obviouly the same unit was used for a number of years.
Cheers Dave

Actually early A’s are different from the 67-up. I just texted a friend who has looked and compared both units side by side. I’ll update this post when I get his answer

The heater part is virtually the same; it’s the condenser part that's Different size-wise and mounting-wise

62 Valiant v 100, 2 Dr post
Lowest model, lowest power(170 cu in), 3 on the tree, lowest production, lowest price, lightest valiant made. Its made in Canada with a stock generator. A survivor with a coat of paint.

Thanks for the pics. Your dash is beautiful. Nice job!
When I bought the Dart, I thought the AC unit was an after market bolt on. I saw the same unit on a 68 ? Barracuda and the owner told me it was original. He showed me the original AC sticker on 1 of the windows. So obviouly the same unit was used for a number of years. This Dart also had retractable front and rear seat belts, a window washer system and full set of green tinted windows. Would have been a nice car when it was new.
Cheers Dave
Thanks! Since I have a/c in my wagon I added the correct decal on the quarter glass. Just like yours?

DSC_2267.JPG

Looks cool! Never seen such a decal. They might be different decals depending on factory or dealer installed air?
"Air conditioned by Parts Division" was for dealer installed. I understand they came in the under dash kit. I'll bet not too many got installed.

I will refer back to this when I go to mount mine - by myself unless I can get my wife to lend a couple of hands!

My pedal looks NOS, even though I'm sure it's not. The bracket assembly is already cleaned, painted and ready to install whenever I get to that point.

A friend and FABO member FWDLK Frank was making some kick panels for his 65 Valiant and made me a set as well in the correct blue color.View attachment 1715126250

Here is a link for a wagon taillight lens without the backup lens: Mopar NOS 1965 Dodge Dart Station Wagon Left Hand Taillight Lens 2525699 | eBay
[/QUOTE]
Great idea to include your wifes hands too! Tricky for sure.

That kick panel looks great. More accessable too!

Thanks for the tipsbon tail lenses.

I was able to locate a factory cable from the connector up to the switch and back to the windshield wiper switch. Now if I just could find that pin and ring.
I would consider buying a colplete steering column and scrap it after taken that pin and ring.
Anything for sale out there?

Since the cable is in place the left kick panel could be added.

DSC_2308.JPG

DSC_2316.JPG

I'm not familiar with the part you need. Can you be more specific and/or pics. My donar car is a 1965 Dodge Dart Gt auto with 225 slant six.

Although my wagon’s column is long gone,I don’t remember seeing the parts to actuate the back up light switch. Maybe they had been broken off?

-
Back