1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Don! Did you find that bented corner on your muffler?

I was doner with the vineager and it became better but not mint. Not sure what to continue with?

The fueltank should have a date code! Checked on two tanks I have and the first one from Detroit was 295 and I don't know the meaning. The car was produced November 14 1964.

The other tank has 302 C1 4. I think the meaning is C for October, 1 for first week in October and 4 for 1964. 302 I don't know.

The fuel tank gauge is NOS. It have an ink stamped part number and ink stamped vendor number.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

65 Dartcharger. here is a pic of a 65 exhaust sustem that I have on my computer, hope it can help and also a pic of a 65 factory muffler. I don't know where I got them from but saved them for reference.

Thank you so much. I have never seen that picture. Now I know how it should look. I think I have those special washers but they needs to be restored.

Phosphoric acid does a nice job cleaning brass. As for the muffler in the picture, it's too bad we can't see its part number and other markings so we can be sure it is in fact a '65 273-4bbl item.

Phosphoric acid does a nice job cleaning brass. As for the muffler in the picture, it's too bad we can't see its part number and other markings so we can be sure it is in fact a '65 273-4bbl item.

Dan! I will check on that acid to see if it works.

Here are some better pictures of the muffler.

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 167.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 515
Dan! I will check on that acid to see if it works.

Cheap source: Coca-Cola. No, I'm not kidding. You can buy preparations of phosphoric acid intended for cleaning, but Coke contains it.

Here are some better pictures of the muffler.

Much better, thanks!
redbeard.gif

IfI compare the clamp that I have with the ones found on the super drawing from Keith Mopar I think my ones are wrong. The partnumber may have been the same but they might have changed the clamp over the years.

Keith! When you have checked the other exhaust system it will be interesting to see what you have found out. All the vendors I have spoked with says it's the same as the old ones.But I think the drawings are correct. Hmmmm!

View attachment 170.jpg

Whether correct or not, the clamp in your photo looks a whole hell of a lot more robust than the U/saddle clamps shown in the diagram…and the "DPCD" bolt heads are way cool!

I might have found one of the clamps. Well see what it happens.

I got a new air filter today. Won it ebay for USD 13!

So now I have four of them

Mopar Multi Purpose Line L-150
FRAM CA-162
FRAM CA-162 PL
Mopar 19xx ***

The Mopar one is the one I'm gonna use. There are some differences that is seen. It should just read TOP on the inside. On the upper inside there are some small "notches" The reason is unknown.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

I did the last paint job on the engine. The wrong spark plugs was there the day when I painted it. Now there are fresh originals Champion N9Y. I reproduced a cap out of shrink plastic hose for electrical use and stapled them in one end. After mounting the new spark plugs I just added the caps. Amazing!

The spring for the lever for the rear brakes was repainted too after I glass beaded it. BUT, I miss one spring! Anyone out there?

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Hello Ulf, The last air filter pictured has the same part # that I have on a NOS 66 filter, Mopar box also has #14-29-6

I did the last paint job on the engine. The wrong spark plugs was there the day when I painted it. Now there are fresh originals Champion N9Y. I reproduced a cap out of shrink plastic hose for electrical use and stapled them in one end. After mounting the new spark plugs I just added the caps. Amazing!

The spring for the lever for the rear brakes was repainted too after I glass beaded it. BUT, I miss one spring! Anyone out there?

why would you paint the engine with new spark plugs in it? do you realize paint is in a sense like crazy glue? once it gets hot and cold 50-100 times it will be nearly impossible to get them out!

why would you paint the engine with new spark plugs in it? do you realize paint is in a sense like crazy glue? once it gets hot and cold 50-100 times it will be nearly impossible to get them out!

The reason is simple. That's the way the assembly plants did it! They just covered the hat so the paint wouldn't stop the spark.

Hello Ulf, The last air filter pictured has the same part # that I have on a NOS 66 filter, Mopar box also has #14-29-6

Great. Save it for the future. They are very hard to come by. It took me almost a year to find one.

I'm looking for the torsion bra boots. The reproduced ones works but the partnumber is upside down and the AU and a digit is not casted into the boot.

This is how they should look. Any help is gladly appriciated.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 412
I finally found a pair of NOS wing nuts for the battery strap. They look good but I'm not sure that plating is right!

I have the two pins but were one silver cad? The long pin has the right black phosphate but the short one silver cad?? The strap over the battery is reproduced but just the way they were.

Any help is appriciated.

I have finally found an exact Chrysler ignition coil And it is unstamped!!!! So I will reproduce that one with text from the one pictured thatwas one my car. Have anyone seen a Chrysler/Essex ignition coil? This one is date coded week 42 of 1964.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

After searching my inventory of old pictures I might have the answer. The wing nuts were silver zinc but the shorter pin was black phosphated.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 417
I do not think you have the correct battery hold-down. That looks like a '66-'69 item. The '60-'65 item is similar but not the same; all the '60-'65 original A-body battery hold-downs I've seen have been in accord with this, this, and this; TTBOMK both J-bolts have been black phosphate and not silver cad. Silver cad on the wing nuts and washers, though.

Have anyone seen a Chrysler/Essex ignition coil?

Yes, just like yours.

I do not think you have the correct battery hold-down. That looks like a '66-'69 item. The '60-'65 item is similar but not the same; all the '60-'65 original A-body battery hold-downs I've seen have been in accord with this, this, and this; TTBOMK both J-bolts have been black phosphate and not silver cad. Silver cad on the wing nuts and washers, though.

Yes, just like yours.

What I know of the 1965 A-bodies came with that battery hold down. I have searched probably over 100 cars and they have all had the same. The picture is from a 1964/1965 magazine showing a 1965 Dart GT. Here in Sweden all 1964 and 1965 A-bodies had that style too.

I will of cause dig into this to see if there has been any changes or modifications in 1964 and 1965. I know and appriciate your knowledge Dan. You're the electrical man on the forum, that's for sure.

I wonder if both styles were used in '65, perhaps depending on assembly plant? My low-miles '65 came to me with the straight type, not the "S" type, and other low-miles original '65s I've nosed around in have had the straight type. I have seen some original '65 Australian-built cars with the "S" type, but have not seen an original '64 with the "S" type. It certainly does not help with this question that they didn't bother changing the part number (1828 352) when they changed from the straight to the "S" type. :-(

I wonder if both styles were used in '65, perhaps depending on assembly plant? My low-miles '65 came to me with the straight type, not the "S" type, and other low-miles original '65s I've nosed around in have had the straight type. I have seen some original '65 Australian-built cars with the "S" type, but have not seen an original '64 with the "S" type. It certainly does not help with this question that they didn't bother changing the part number (1828 352) when they changed from the straight to the "S" type. :-(

Dan! I checked the partscatalog and according to them they had the same straight type for 1964, 1965 and 1967. In 1967 they changed style to S shape. Check out the pictures.

I think you are right about the different assembly lines or different plants. Sometimes they changed the part long before they changed the partsbook. My 65 catalogs are dated May 66 with may include the new S shape. And from 64 to 67 the partnumber were the same.

Found an old radiator capin mint condition. Did they had the 16 psi or the 14psi I knew of? Any help is appriciated. Finished the rear right side tonight too. Turned out great.

I found an old picture of a 65 Formula S with the S shaped strap.

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

-
Back