1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
It's hard to see, but I had the same style of thicker chrome nut found on the PVC cap as the one pictured in your magazine photo. My 65 barracuda was built in LA as well!

225ra.jpg

Thanks for the picture. What a nice engine compartment! Is that the factory air cleaner decal? If so, could you please shoot me a photo of it?

It seems that alot of cars has this bigger nut. I know for sure that the PCV valve nut for the 2 barrel engines had the stamped PAL nut. Maybe that the assembly line workers went out of the bigger nuts so they just took the smaller PAL nut instead to keep the production running!

After going through some picture this is what I came up with.

BTW, does anyone have a bigger nut for sale?

Attachments

• 1965%20Plymouth-Cuda-273.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 733
  • 2012-05-03_12-13-23_266.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 712
  • 5689.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 759
  • American_Muscle_27.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 692
  • engine-aircleaner.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 673
  • hows-this-for-a-first-timer-the-commando-273-ma-mopars.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 870
  • salem10_104_7.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 712
Just checked the '64, '65, and '66 FPCs: there is no part number called out for the nut. It was serviced in the valve package, almost certainly only with the smal PAL nut. Gonna be a "go-fish" item, as it seems!

Too many nice looking one have to "dirty" it up for ya

Attachments

• dart e.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 756
Too many nice looking one have to "dirty" it up for ya

Ha, that's a good one. At least it is factory correct! Nice with A/C as well.

Today I stopped by my friends at the school who is shooting the paint for me.
They have taken out all the dents and dings and there was several of them. Now they have layed a thin coat of primer to take away the last ones before shooting the red primer.

Michael and Togga have been in the paint business for 20+ years and have also been working on the local Volvo plant in Umeå who just makes truck cabs. They are aware of the assembly techniques which I think is great. So far they have done a superb job on the body.

Here's Michael having a great time while Togga vent chasing some students.....!

Michael is also working on knifes and have alot of customers worldwide. You can check out his website at;

http://www.moosecountry.nu/

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 696
The new found hobby glass beading took me some 3+ hours to get one center from the Cragar S/S wheels incl the special nut for the rear resonator and the door striker done!!! My axle actually hurted when I was finished.

On top of that the stamp for the rear axle took almost 2 hours to manufacture. But the result was great. 463 is the number to be found on the broadcast sheet in the box "axle". 463 stands for 7 1/4 rear end with 3,23 gear ratio and 10 inch brakes.

I had spray can of school bus yellow that I used for the rear brake springs. Sprays on a piece of woodsomepaint, dipped the stamp and stamped the front of the left axle tube. I was satiesfied with the result.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 688
  • 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 674
  • 001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 672
  • 003.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 677
I checked out the floor shift mecanism and the chrome is pitted. The switch seems to be ok but after some searching I found an NOS one with the same partnumber.

Have anyone heard of someone taking these apart and restore them back to mint condition? I guess that NOS ones does not exist!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 630
  • 012.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 630
  • 011.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 652
  • 003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 665
I checked out the floor shift mecanism and the chrome is pitted. The switch seems to be ok but after some searching I found an NOS one with the same partnumber.

Have anyone heard of someone taking these apart and restore them back to mint condition? I guess that NOS ones does not exist!

Are you referring to a NOS switch or the shifter. I have both!

I have an NOS switch but the shifter............ Since my shifter is pitted and it seems hard to take it apart sI need a new one. Was the black shifter knob part of the shifter or was it sold separately?

It was installed separately to the shifter. If you look closely on the underside (I think), you'll see a little Allen Head screw. That's what holds it to the shifter. Got at least one NOS one.

It was installed separately to the shifter. If you look closely on the underside (I think), you'll see a little Allen Head screw. That's what holds it to the shifter. Got at least one NOS one.

Don! It just seems unreal that you have one! Do you have a picture on how it looks?

For the first time in my Mopar life I tried to take the shifter mecanism apart. And I failed. Big time!!

One pin away from getting it apart and it seems like they mounted all the mecanism parts and the added the rivets.

Well,at least I know how the mecanism look almost apart!!!!

Don!Did you have a complete assembly?

From now I am searching a NOS unit of a mint used one. I have the switch though. Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 617
  • 002.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 608
I am off tomorrow so I will take a couple of pictures for you.

Your shifter was mint! I checked the partsbook and it seems that they just sold the hole unit.

I found on the backside of the Cragar wheels that they have different styles! The early ones does not have those extra supports on the wheels. I will glass bead this extra wheel to see what year it is.

Does anyone have a copy of the Cragar catalog from the mid sixties?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 591
  • 002.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 605
Hey Ulf lookin good man! Hey I just picked up a 65 dart gt hardtop. The guy claims that its a dart charger but it has no emblems stating its a charger. How do I go about finding that out on the vin tag? I know it was born a hipo 273 4 barrel car. It's got the proper exhaust cutout etc. I also got a bunch of parts including a set of commando valve covers and OE jack parts and so on. I can get you the vin info. The car is really clean and I'm thinking I'm just going to get her up to snuff mechanically and sell her. Power steering is leaking real bad which I plan on sorting out tomorrow. Are those pumps hard to get parts for? My convertible has manual steering so I don't have much knowledge of early A power steering stuff. Hope all Is well car looks sweeeeet! Keep her going!

Hey Ulf lookin good man! Hey I just picked up a 65 dart gt hardtop. The guy claims that its a dart charger but it has no emblems stating its a charger. How do I go about finding that out on the vin tag? I know it was born a hipo 273 4 barrel car. It's got the proper exhaust cutout etc. I also got a bunch of parts including a set of commando valve covers and OE jack parts and so on. I can get you the vin info. The car is really clean and I'm thinking I'm just going to get her up to snuff mechanically and sell her. Power steering is leaking real bad which I plan on sorting out tomorrow. Are those pumps hard to get parts for? My convertible has manual steering so I don't have much knowledge of early A power steering stuff. Hope all Is well car looks sweeeeet! Keep her going!

Nice catch! Send me the vin# and a readable picture of the fendertag.

While I was working with the inner fender splash shields I found out that I have forgot about the inspection cover for the transmission. The two of them that I have are for slant six engines. So does anyone have a cover for smallblock for sale or trade. Mine are glass beaded.

They need to be in mint condition. dirt is no problem.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 570
Nice job on the stamp for the rear end Ulf..

Thanks Tim! I wqs quite satisfied myself to.

I have been checking Ebay, Craigslist and Blocket but I can't find a mint shifter! Does anyone have a mint one for sale? Thanks FABO

Tonight I continued with the polishing of the center dome for the wheels. During this I found a small item that caught my attension. A piece of the TEE for the windshield washer system hose that is mounted on top of the cowl above the firewall was laying on the bench.

On the backside was a gasket. I have never seen this before. I have an NOS windshield washer system and in that box was the tee with the screw and the gasket!!! The gasket is made by a ribbed hose.

Have anyone else seen this before?

The engine wiring harness that goes to the alternator,distributor,oil pressure unit,temp unit, engine ground cable and the ignition coil wire seems to be clamped to the heater fan with one clamp. I have checked several cars and all the clamp attached to the same pin.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 006.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 505
  • 005.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 500
  • 004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 001.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 002.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 484
Four hours today and another cender for the S/S wheels are done. But if you look close you will see the pattern from the casting I guess. I have been polishing the center dome for hours but it always ends up this way. Can the casting have been of poor quality?

The last picture is the start of the third center.It hace the same weird pattern on the center.

Another question showed up: Were the center clear coated from factory??

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 003.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 490
I always thought the rims center and outers both were chromed after being welded together.

The first year the wheels were offered in two versions.
The first version had chromed rims and polished aluminum center that was pressed in place.
The second version was pressed and welded in place and then chromed.

After a couple of years they quite eith the first version. My guess is that the cost to produce them was too high.

I use 600, 800 and 1200 grit at the end. Starts with 120.

Does anyone else have the old Cragar wheels? I have tried for years to find an old broschure of the 1965 Cragar for public. I have the one for DartCharger, the inofficial broshure but the public may have some different pictures.

Any help is appriciated.

-
Back