1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
After talking with Robert at M&H Elecrical I was able to get an absolutey 100% assembly line correct positive battery cable for the car. It even had the right stamped partnumber on!

Thank you so much Don (65 Dartman) for the lead. I will see if I can ad the pictures from the phone!

Ok,today arrivedmy other set of tires. Finally I have a full set of 7.00 x 13 whit walls. BUT, there are three different sizes on the white walls!!!

I have two 9/16", one 5/8" and one 3/4"!!!!!!

So now what to do??????????

Things such as this is killing me!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 407
Ok,today arrivedmy other set of tires. Finally I have a full set of 7.00 x 13 whit walls. BUT, there are three different sizes on the white walls!!!

I have two 9/16", one 5/8" and one 3/4"!!!!!!

So now what to do??????????

Things such as this is killing me!

Put the two 9/16" on one side of the car and the other two on the opposite side. Nobody will ever notice.

Talked to the paint guy today! We have a question we need to solve.

1. When was all the body seam sealer addded?

2. Was any of the seam sealer added before the body was dipped in primer at all?
3. Or was some sealer added between the first and the second body paint?

We need to find out this before the next layer of the greenish primer is added!

Thanks FABO for any help!

:coffee2:

This might not be a great idea but it is an idea.
Can you mount the tires so the white walls on the the inner side and then paint matching whitewalls on the outer side?
I wouldn't really want to do this to 40+ year old new tires but it is an alternative.

This is a great thread! Thanks for keeping us informed.

when I have removed sealer, it had bare metal under. So............ that would be my input.

I think the inner whitewall is exposed by cutting down the black rubber. Perhaps widen the 5/8" to 3/4" and call it a day. The trouble would be finding a tire lathe.

I think the inner whitewall is exposed by cutting down the black rubber. Perhaps widen the 5/8" to 3/4" and call it a day. The trouble would be finding a tire lathe.

I was wondering if this could be done. I was thinking that years ago used car dealers cut the sidewalls to make the groove for 'painted' whitewalls. Factory whitewalls have the white rubber extending out under the black rubber past the groove so it might be possible to trim a bit of the black off to make the whitewall a bit wider. I would want to try it on a scrap tire first but it could very well work if done carefully. I haven't seen one of those tire lathes for years, though.

I have also seen the sealer on bare metal so it was applied in some places before the shell was primed. I can specifically remember removing the front fenders and there was bare metal under the seam sealer. Fenders were apparently hung before priming (as well as doors and trunk lid.)

Dallas

I was wondering if this could be done. I was thinking that years ago used car dealers cut the sidewalls to make the groove for 'painted' whitewalls. Factory whitewalls have the white rubber extending out under the black rubber past the groove so it might be possible to trim a bit of the black off to make the whitewall a bit wider. I would want to try it on a scrap tire first but it could very well work if done carefully. I haven't seen one of those tire lathes for years, though.

I have also seen the sealer on bare metal so it was applied in some places before the shell was primed. I can specifically remember removing the front fenders and there was bare metal under the seam sealer. Fenders were apparently hung before priming (as well as doors and trunk lid.)

Dallas

I checked one of the partscar and one of the wagons. The red and green primer can have been absorbed by the seam sealer. If they had the seam sealer everywhere the primer could not get in everywhere. That's my thought. Not sure I'm right though!

Re the tires I'm not sure what to do. Using a tool and getting 3/4' white walls would be sweet. However the seller also has two 7.00x13 blackwalls in nos condition. Should I look for two nos blackwalls or concentrate on widening the whitewqll?

I checked one of the partscar and one of the wagons. The red and green primer can have been absorbed by the seam sealer. If they had the seam sealer everywhere the primer could not get in everywhere. That's my thought. Not sure I'm right though!

I certainly am not an expert on these cars, especially the earlier cars like yours. All you can really do is study your car during disassembly and study as many other cars like yours as you can. I'm not sure if they seam sealed all locations while the car was still bare metal but I think they may have done some areas before priming or dipping.

Good luck on your research.
Dallas

Re the tires I'm not sure what to do. Using a tool and getting 3/4' white walls would be sweet. However the seller also has two 7.00x13 blackwalls in nos condition. Should I look for two nos blackwalls or concentrate on widening the whitewqll?

Did your car originally come with blackwalls or whitewalls? If it's not specifically coded for whitewalls I might consider going with blackwalls. However you have quite a bit invested so far in the whitewalls. :banghead:

I would definately want to experiment on an old tire before trying to widen the whitewall on one of your NOS tires. You sure don't want to risk ruining one of them.

Dallas

MOBodyman! I checked out the tires today and I think it can be done. That tool you mentioned "tire lathes" is sometihing I never have heard about.

Around the inner part of the tire is a small line. That line is the same on all tires. I check and all whitewall sides starts after 9/16". So that means that the work needs to be done one the other side of the whitewall.

I was thinking of mount the tire on a wheel and then mount it on a hub horizontal and then fabricate an arm where a air tool is mounted to grind of the rubber. But it needs to be concave since the profile on the tire is concave! WIth that I think it would be possible to get the whitewall correct.

Most of the DartChargers I have seen has have black walls. The old sales guys from the dealerships says that the black walls was the most common but you could also have white walls. I have a picture of a DartCharger sold new in Lake Tahoe and that car had white walls when it took delivery.

What my car had I actually don't know! There is no information on the fendertag. If I have had the Broadcast sheet I would have nown.

So my qestion is; Does anyone have a picture of that tool?

Ulf, when we were talking on the phone last week that is what I was telling you about, just couldn't think of the tool name....lathe!! LOL It can definetly be done and there are companies here in the USA that still do that (I don't know of any myself) :glasses7:

Question, if you go whitwall, are you gonna paint or dye all the white walls to match? I am sure with age they have discolored a but from tire to tire.

Ulf, when we were talking on the phone last week that is what I was telling you about, just couldn't think of the tool name....lathe!! LOL It can definetly be done and there are companies here in the USA that still do that (I don't know of any myself) :glasses7:

Question, if you go whitwall, are you gonna paint or dye all the white walls to match? I am sure with age they have discolored a but from tire to tire.

Funny! I know you're mentioning it but could't find the name! LOL

The tires have some kind of wax protection on them. I think they can be cleaned and probably dyed to factory specs! :glasses7:

I did a 'google' search on tire shaving or truing. It's usually done to the tread to make the tire round (which I was aware of) but I'm sure I remember guys cutting the sidewalls to make whitewalls. I couldn't find any pics of anyone cutting the sidewalls though.

On one forum someone mentioned cutting the sidewalls to make whitewalls but there weren't any pics.

IIRC, the machine spun the tire and there was a cutter or grinder on the side to make the groove.

Hopefully you can find a solution to this problem.

Dallas

I would think you could make a tool rest to work with a spin balancer for cutting the white wall. That would be the same as a lathe.

MOBodyman! I checked out the tires today and I think it can be done. That tool you mentioned "tire lathes" is sometihing I never have heard about.

Around the inner part of the tire is a small line. That line is the same on all tires. I check and all whitewall sides starts after 9/16". So that means that the work needs to be done one the other side of the whitewall.

I was thinking of mount the tire on a wheel and then mount it on a hub horizontal and then fabricate an arm where a air tool is mounted to grind of the rubber. But it needs to be concave since the profile on the tire is concave! WIth that I think it would be possible to get the whitewall correct.

Most of the DartChargers I have seen has have black walls. The old sales guys from the dealerships says that the black walls was the most common but you could also have white walls. I have a picture of a DartCharger sold new in Lake Tahoe and that car had white walls when it took delivery.

What my car had I actually don't know! There is no information on the fendertag. If I have had the Broadcast sheet I would have nown.

Some of them also came with 13" Bluelines. Had to be ordered that way

The white wall surface can be enlarged.
Low Rider cars have done this for years.
Your answer might be found on the website
www.layitlow.com

I did a bit of searching after I read this post. Just go to YouTube and search for 'whitewall shaving' and there are lots of videos of people doing this without any fancy equipment.

I would still want to experiment on an old tire first to make sure I could duplicate the finish of the original whitewall.

Dallas

I did a bit of searching after I read this post. Just go to YouTube and search for 'whitewall shaving' and there are lots of videos of people doing this without any fancy equipment.

I would still want to experiment on an old tire first to make sure I could duplicate the finish of the original whitewall.

Dallas

Dalles! I have contacted some companies and I chosen one of them The are reliable and do great jobs! I have a stash of extra Goodyear tires!

dart4forte

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65dartcharger View Post

Some of them also came with 13" Bluelines. Had to be ordered that way

I must admit that I have never seen those tires! I know for sure that in May of 1965 some Dart could be ordered with 6.95x14 whitewall, blackwall and blue line. The last tires were for Barracuda only as part of the formula s package. But 13" Interesting. Do you have any more pictures and stuff to share?

-
Back