1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
The single-pot disc brake master cylinder has an extension between the top of the casting and the lid. It's because disc brakes use more fluid volume than drum brakes (the fluid level drops as the pads wear and the caliper pistons gradually move inward towards the rotors). Same reason dual-chamber master cylinders for disc brakes have a larger reservoir for the discs than for the drums. Part numbers for the disc brake master cylinder with reservoir for '65 and '66 A-body are 2660 791 w/power disc brakes or 2660 786 w/nonpower disc brakes.
Here's the page from the '66 FPC:

1966_Master_Cylinders.png

Great explanation Dan. That clears it up. Yes those caliper pistons can capture lots of fluid as the pads wear. I have 4 wheel disc on my tool truck. I ran out of fluid on the rears because it had been too long since I checked and topped off the brake fluid. (it was way too cold the last few months to service my truck outside) Poor excuse I know. lol

Several month ago I bought what I thought was the right wellnut. However I just found out that the threads are wrong. Does anyone know what thread size the wellnut the door and fender ornament should have on a 1965 Dart GT?

Thanks Dan and Keith for the information on the felt thing! I will send them an email so hopefully I have an answer soon.

Don't know if these pics will help you ULF but they are the ones used in my 65 Dart GT.

Attachments

• Bolt_Length_inch_2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Bolt_MM_Rule.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 545
  • Bolt_Standing.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 547
Don't know if these pics will help you ULF but they are the ones used in my 65 Dart GT.

Yepp, that,s the one but I'm not sure to figure out the size the US way! Any knowledge out there?

Any input on the date code?

Thanks Dan for shedding light over the master cylinder.

Anyone bought the rear window weatherstripping for 65 Dart? I know there is several vendors but I want one that works. I cannot find an NOS one!

Any suggestions that works well?

I used http://www.nosreproductions.com/
The number of different times I have used this Company I have never been disappointed. I bought both the front and the rear gaskets last summer and installed new glass, I could not be happier!

Rog

Yepp, that,s the one but I'm not sure to figure out the size the US way! Any knowledge out there?

Any input on the date code?

Thanks Dan for shedding light over the master cylinder.

They are a sloppy fit into a 1/4" bolt hole and to tight for the next size down which is a No. 10. Thats why I choose to use a metric ruler to show you the size. I am looking for some as well so if I find them I'll let you know how the size was purchased.

Rog

They are a sloppy fit into a 1/4" bolt hole and to tight for the next size down which is a No. 10. Thats why I choose to use a metric ruler to show you the size. I am looking for some as well so if I find them I'll let you know how the size was purchased.

Rog

I forgot to mention that I have the part numbers in my 1965 Passenger Car Catalogue (Canadian), if they would be of any help? They are not sized just part numbers.

I forgot to mention that I have the part numbers in my 1965 Passenger Car Catalogue (Canadian), if they would be of any help? They are not sized just part numbers.

Roger!

This is a link to Wellnuts being sold on Ebay.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Well-Nuts-6-32-Thread-452-Head-Dia-/121137441897?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c345aac69&vxp=mtr"]25 Well Nuts 6 32 Thread 452 Head Dia | eBay[/ame]

From what I see these are the ones we need. I have checked out my old ones and I can see the WELLNUT letters casted in the rubber. But I'm not sure about the threads!!

The glass manufacturer called today regarding the front windshield. They need an answer that I don't have!! I know that all the glasses was tinted green but what about the windshield.

Was the front windshield green as the rest of the glass or was it just blue top shaded green?

I finally got some other great news. I was going to order a repop carburator tag for my carb. I found a guy and called him. After 30 minutes we (read him) was sure that all Carter carburators manufactured before 1968 had aluminium tags with no color. The color tags came in 1968 and the aftermarket carburators for ex 1965 273 HP did get a colored tag! Since he does all the carb tags for the restoration shops I'm pretty sure his right.

I was able to grind out the welds for the center bow inside the roof. After some bending it's like new. I just need to find that kind of paper that was in place.

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 508
  • unnamed1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 498
  • unnamed.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 510
'65 FPC lists two windshields for A-bodies: 2242 368 Clear and 2242 369 Tinted. The clear ones are clear top to bottom; the tinted ones are green tinted (like the side glass) with a blue strip at the top. Standard equipment was clear glass all around. Optional was tinted windshield or tinted windshield, side, and rear glass.

Those are the same P/Ns as '63 and '64; in '66 the P/Ns are 2664 417 "Clear" and 2588 950 "Shaded" (Canadian book) "Tinted" (US book). Same glass '63-'66, though.

'65 FPC lists two windshields for A-bodies: 2242 368 Clear and 2242 369 Tinted. The clear ones are clear top to bottom; the tinted ones are green tinted (like the side glass) with a blue strip at the top. Standard equipment was clear glass all around. Optional was tinted windshield or tinted windshield, side, and rear glass.

Those are the same P/Ns as '63 and '64; in '66 the P/Ns are 2664 417 "Clear" and 2588 950 "Shaded" (Canadian book) "Tinted" (US book). Same glass '63-'66, though.

Thanks Dan for the input. I have forwarded the info to the manufacturer in Finland.

Today arrived a strange package. When I opened it up I found an reproduction of a 1965 Dart positive battery cable. Wow! I was blown away of the quality and the correctness compare to the old one, even if I just had some small parts left of it!! Even the part number was stamped on the cable!! Then I remeber talking with Don and he addressed me to M & H Electrical in California.

Thanks Don for the lead and this was better then I ever thought of. Now it's mounted to the starter when a new question popped up!! Was there a cover over the mounting bolts that holds the positive cable on the starter?

I also got some new information last night. All carburator tags were aluminium with no color up to 1968 when they started adding blue for automatic, red for manual transmission and black tags for...?

Another great info I got this morning is that all voltage relays didn't get any date codes until 1967 when it first showed up! That means that I can use my voltage regulator without the date code! Yipiiiiii!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 488
  • 002.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 476
Was there a cover over the mounting bolts that holds the positive cable on the starter?

No.

I also got some new information last night. All carburator tags were aluminium with no color up to 1968 when they started adding blue for automatic, red for manual transmission and black tags for...?

I'll be interested to learn what you find out on this. I've seen natural (aluminum), gold, blue, red, black, and possibly green and violet tags.

Is there any numbers on the tag that would identify the year? The tag on the carb on my 67 dart GT convertible(273, 2 barrel, automatic)is blue. the carb could have been replaced, I suppose.

Is there any numbers on the tag that would identify the year? The tag on the carb on my 67 dart GT convertible(273, 2 barrel, automatic)is blue. the carb could have been replaced, I suppose.

I'm not sure about carburators from 1967. I know for sure that carbs manufactured for 1965 production has the date code stamped on the lower front face on the body just underneath the right front nut and washer holding the carb. I have L4 on my car which is November 1964. I know later cars had the date code on the tag, not on the body. But I'm not sure which year they started with it!

No.

I'll be interested to learn what you find out on this. I've seen natural (aluminum), gold, blue, red, black, and possibly green and violet tags.

I talked with a guy who do all the work for the big reference restoration shops. He said that the aluminium tags were used as is up to 1967 and in 1968 they started using blue for automatic and red for stick shift. They also moved the date code to the tag instead on the carburator body.

Today I was visiting GE Healthcare here in Umeå. During the round trip I noticed that they had several suppliers using special packaging protection. After a closer look I found that the material was just what I needed for my "what you called them" on the inner fender towards the frame.

After some sawing they was just as they should be. When mounted it looked just as it did on the assembly line!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 006.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 445
  • 004.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 003.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 002.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 001.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 466
I talked with a guy who do all the work for the big reference restoration shops. He said that the aluminium tags were used as is up to 1967 and in 1968 they started using blue for automatic and red for stick shift.

Maybe so. Now: What about gold tags? Black ones? I've definitely seen those on NOS-in-box Carter carburetors, and I think I've seen green ones and violet ones, too. Moreover, I've seen at least one blue tag on at least one NOS manual-trans Carter carb, and at least one red tag on at least one NOS auto-trans Carter carb, so I'd want to see some documentation before I'd put full weight on that guy's explanation. It's entirely possible he's right despite my seeing what looks like counter-evidence; I hardly think they'd bring the production line to a screeching halt just because the wrong colour tag got stamped and put on the wrong carb.

Besides automatic/manual, some differentiations that occur to me as possible targets for tag colour include 49-state, California, Canada, and Export—each with manual and automatic variants.

Maybe so. Now: What about gold tags? Black ones? I've definitely seen those on NOS-in-box Carter carburetors, and I think I've seen green ones and violet ones, too. Moreover, I've seen at least one blue tag on at least one NOS manual-trans Carter carb, and at least one red tag on at least one NOS auto-trans Carter carb, so I'd want to see some documentation before I'd put full weight on that guy's explanation. It's entirely possible he's right despite my seeing what looks like counter-evidence; I hardly think they'd bring the production line to a screeching halt just because the wrong colour tag got stamped and put on the wrong carb.

Besides automatic/manual, some differentiations that occur to me as possible targets for tag colour include 49-state, California, Canada, and Export—each with manual and automatic variants.

Dan!

I will call this guy tonight when I get back home to follow up and see if they have any documentation about this. While waiting on the phone I searched Ebay and found this. For a 1973 Dodge Truck! First time ever seeing a gold tag!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 440
Finally getting back the tank from Excellent Ytbehandling!They did an excellent job and the finish is some kind of galvanizing which according to them is the closest way to get the old finisk lead/tin. The lead/tin method is not accepted by the laws here in Sweden or in the US. THe luster will go down over time so hopefully after a while it will look more of the old silver style.

The fuel filler grommet is mounted but I need to get the inside fuel filter. How could I forget that??

Tomorrow the gas tank pad will be done. Jim at DMT sent me some material so I can fabricate the pad. I will also sent himmy old one so he can start repopping them.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 437
  • 004.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 003.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 001.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 440
REstoring the clips on the roof was something else. It tends to collect dust, dirt and water and they get pretty rusty. After glass beading and a new coat of navy green paint they looks as new as they did back in 1965.

They allowed me to mount the outer roof rail moulding and the rood bows. Tomorrow I will continue to ad the other side.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 415
  • 003.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 004.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 396
She is becoming a stunning looking ride as the assembly continues.

Thanks, it's getting better!

This morning I thought that the stamps on the gas tank was the work of the day besides the polishing of mouldings! I started out with two potatoes. Cut them in 1/2" slices and then started the carving. After 7 potatoes they turned out great. Well, not assembly line standard but no one in Sweden had that fond and type.

Now the tank is stamped and ready for the gas tank pad.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 005.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 004.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 001.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 003.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 376
  • 002.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 383
The gas tank pad was easy to fabricate. A sizzor and some time! I was really satiesfied with the result. The pad was glued on as the factory did it.When it dried I mounted the gas tank in place. It looks as good as it did back then.

While I was afriad to scratch the rear end I disassembled the gas tank gauge. I need to get a new gas tank filter and then it's ready to be mounted.

Attachments

• bild 3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 354
  • bild 4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 351
  • 009.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 011.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 012.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 351
Wow! Coming togheter real nice! Hope to see the car at Orsa Drag Fest this year!!!

Are you installing a baffle in the tank or neck to keep fuel from gushing out?

No, the factory routing from filler tube and out was in bad condition and I didn't had any better so I'm making a new one! Hopefully done tomorrow.

Plashy! Hopefully I'll have the car on a special Mopar show in a different country by that time!

:burnout:

-
Back