1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
After not being able to get the pegs on the backside of the Dartcharger badge I need to find a way to attach the badge to the center cap.

My question is what is the best way to attach a chromed badge on an casted center cap?

Any ideas or leads is gladly appriciated. :glasses7:

How about some kind of epoxy or super glue? I bought some kind of super glue for something I was working on and it worked great!

Thanks Don! I will check into it tomorrow.

Finally the Dartcharger badges are done. They turn out great. The only thing remaining is the grind of the inner washer before mounting the badges to the cap and the cap to the wheel. Hopefully done by tomorrow! The chrome shop should have done the re-chroming of the lug nuts by tomorrow!

On Wednesday the interior guy will show up and give me a hand with the headliner. I have never mounted a headliner before so I will need some help.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 628
I glued some metal emblems to the hubs on a friends stock car with windshield urethane and they stayed on for a couple of years anyway. He sold the car so I can't verify how long after that.

What is the adhesive that the cooling fins were attached to a Charger/Commando valve covers? That's what you need. Leanna?

It's just plain ol' black RTV ...

Thanks Leanna for the tips! I remember that ol' black RTV from my old valve covers.

Now the badges are back in place and I'm just happy with it. Mounted on the wheel it looks great.

I wonder about the chrome shop.
-Hi there! I wonder about my lug nuts?
-Oh, he says, my friend just started the work and they will be ready by mid next week?

They probably hadn't started on them buut they did a great job so I guess that I can wait until mid next week.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 004.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 005.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 576
This car is turning out so beautiful. Nobody in their right mind can tell you there is any reason you shouldn't be proud of the work you've done 8)

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks for the nice comments.

When adjusting the front end to factory specs, what is the correct height of the front end? I guess they wanted the car horizontelly correct. No raised rear os raised front!

Front end height adjustment is covered in the service manual. It is the (necessary) first adjustment before checking the wheel alignment. The correct height setting depends on whether you have standard or heavy-duty suspension.

Front end height adjustment is covered in the service manual. It is the (necessary) first adjustment before checking the wheel alignment. The correct height setting depends on whether you have standard or heavy-duty suspension.

Thanks Dan!

I will get started this upcoming weekend!

Today my friend Mattias showed up for installing the headliner. I have never done this Before so I was the student! He did a great job stretching the headliner from the front to the rear and to each side. The shop just smelled glue! :banghead:

The result tonight was great. Episode 2 will take Place next Monday.

While he was doing the headliner I installed the trunk weatherstrip. The result was the way they did it. Not too perfect!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 506
  • 003.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 525
  • 005.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 002.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 520
  • 001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 518
That's starting to look damn near like a car, that is!

Yeah, finally! Can hardly wait to get the rest of the pieces together.

Did manage to find the last bearing washer so I could finish up the right front wheel hub. Now all the wheels and drums are done. On the picture you can see some factory surface rust!

Something that has bottered me is the radio antenna. I bought an NOS antenna in US back in 1987 at the WPC Meet in Los Angelses. It was even in a Motorola package! But when you compare it to a "factory" antenna they don't have the same body mounted in the front fender. Was there different suppliers or different models? I have checked and there is only one partnumber for the antenna. Or was it a mid-year change in the model?

Any information out there is gladly appriciated.

I only have found one NOS sun visor arm, the left side. It is how even in greasy condition with dirt and dust all over it. :banghead:

Now it's almost time to mount the sun visors too. and the seats....and the carpet..... sorry, I got carried away.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 003.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 490
  • 006.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 479
  • 004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 471
Your antenna scenario sounds like something I've been involved with. Back in 1973 a friend took his 1965 Barracuda to a ball game in Denver. When he got out of the game his antenna had been snapped off. He ordered the replacement from the Plymouth garage with the part number that was supposed to be correct but when he got it the new part was some sort of "fit all" Motorola antenna. The parts department checked the numbers and all was correct by part number so they reordered and got another "fit all" piece. We had to go to a wrecking yard to get a correct replacement.

Hi Ulf, quick question. I noticed you took apart your vent windows and put in new seals. I'm thinking of doing the same on my 64 dart. Looks like you had to remove some rivets to remove the old seals. Was it a very tough job? My seals are pretty good but I have already rechromed all the vent window pieces and am thinking I should make everything new like you did. If I removed the seals then I could replate the inner frame. Thanks!

This is the way the front drums looks like that was on this car when I bought it. Not sure if it was factory applayed paint but there is another Dartcharger with the same påaint on the drums.

Any info out there?

The convertible in the lower picture is too low in the front and too high in the rear. The helper springs on the rear leaf springs are visible as well.

Not to demean your car, but it appears that a Dart Charger is a GT with Charger emblems strategically placed. I finally got to checking my '65 Dart GT folder and I'd take a wild stab that the brake drums have either been painted black, or the original photos themselves have been touched up to make the drums look black.

I agree that the way the drums have been painted suggests it was factory done, as opposed to home done. Chrysler engineering was just about frantic that there be no paint on mating surfaces anywhere on a car - hose nipples and from the looks of those red and yellow drums, not anywhere on the contact patch between the back of the wheel spyder and the drum face.

Perhaps because the Cragar wheels are so open, somebody decided that the drums needed to be painted to at least put off the eventual discolouration and unappealing look of rusting iron and steel.

As for the radio antenna, a NOS service/parts replacement antenna is highly unlikely to be a match for a NOS production antenna. If you're determined to have an original style antenna, you may be looking at rebuilding/restoring a known original part - regardless of the part numbers on the service parts packaging.

You might check with Dennis Turner [email protected] to see if he has a correct factory-type antenna for your '65. Or look at this. The listing says "'62-'65 B-body", but the '65 parts catalogue lists the same P/N, 2291 336, for all A- and B-body applications.

Has anybody contacted Guiness? This has got to be the longest ongoing thread of all time on any forum!!

Ulf, you are doing a memorable and detailed factory restoration that is unbelievably great.

Roger Gibson should shake your hand......

Has anybody contacted Guiness? This has got to be the longest ongoing thread of all time on any forum!!

Ulf, you are doing a memorable and detailed factory restoration that is unbelievably great.

Roger Gibson should shake your hand......

Thanks for the nice comments redfastback!

Tomorrow Mattias is showing up to do the last arrangements on the headliner. I started with the sun visors. There seems to be different pattern on the Dart sun visors for 1965. The first and second picture is showing one of the sunvisors that was in the car when I bought it. The pattern looks like the headliner!
The third and fourth picture is the sun visors from my brother-in-laws 65 Dart GT. Red interior with White headliner.
Fifth picture is the sun visors that is in my 65 Dart convertible.

Picture six to eight is the differencies between the repop and the factory ones!

Does anyone knows if it's possible to buy NOS sun visors?I haven't thought about it but I wonder why Chrysler used different pattern on the material on the sun visors? If anyone have a 1965 Dart with the white and gold interior, what color and pattern is on your sun visors?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 007.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 006.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 005.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 405
  • 010.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 004.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 003.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 002.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 413
The "Dart GT" badges mounted to cover´the screws holding the vent wing window fram was re-chromed this spring but there was pitting in the lined part of the emblem. From looking at older ones it seems like it might have been bubbles and pitting from the factory casting. Not sure though!

After alot of masking and then shooting the black paint it finally ended up as they was from the beginning.

My factory radiator support seal was toast when I got my car. However from someone I was able to find a unit that is in superb condition. I ordered one that was factory style and by comparision you can see how close they are! NOT!!! :banghead:

I still cannot get why they do such a lousy job.It's not even close!

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 014.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 388
  • 022.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 019.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 387
  • 013.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 396
  • 012.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 390
Finally the headliner is in place.The result was stunning. I must admit that I have never been so scared as when I mounted the dome lens! To cut a hole in the headliner felt strange but in my wagon I had a piece of the old headliner so I could use that one to make a sample where to cut. Well, now it's in place! Mattias did a super great work. Thanks

Now there is s lot of work that can be done. Yihaaa

I was also able to get one of the brackets where the side glass goes down into when you lower the window. It looks better then the old one! I wonder how many that will make notice if that as well!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 005.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 006.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 004.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 356
The stainless steel roof rail mouldings was easy to mount. New screws made it looks like assembly line. The NOS weatherstrip moulding was a little tricky to get in place without any damages. The rubber moulding must be 45 to 50 years!!!!

But the result looks great and a new screw at the front of the roof rail moulding topped it off!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 003.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 004.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 005.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 326
the yellow drums are the same set up as with any open faced wheel because these cars came with cragars not sure if its factory or dealer installed them meaning the paint and the wheels

The headliner looks great, kudos to the installer! I had a new one put on my 64 Dart but they didn't tuck it in around the back glass like yours. I'm thinking of having it redone. Can you tell me where you got your headliner from?

The convertible in the lower picture is too low in the front and too high in the rear. The helper springs on the rear leaf springs are visible as well.

Not to demean your car, but it appears that a Dart Charger is a GT with Charger emblems strategically placed. I finally got to checking my '65 Dart GT folder and I'd take a wild stab that the brake drums have either been painted black, or the original photos themselves have been touched up to make the drums look black.

I agree that the way the drums have been painted suggests it was factory done, as opposed to home done. Chrysler engineering was just about frantic that there be no paint on mating surfaces anywhere on a car - hose nipples and from the looks of those red and yellow drums, not anywhere on the contact patch between the back of the wheel spyder and the drum face.

Perhaps because the Cragar wheels are so open, somebody decided that the drums needed to be painted to at least put off the eventual discolouration and unappealing look of rusting iron and steel.

As for the radio antenna, a NOS service/parts replacement antenna is highly unlikely to be a match for a NOS production antenna. If you're determined to have an original style antenna, you may be looking at rebuilding/restoring a known original part - regardless of the part numbers on the service parts packaging.

Kevin! I think you are right on the paint on the drums. However how it was applayed is another story! Re the antenna I will follow the tips from Dan.

slantsixdan You might check with Dennis Turner [email protected] to see if he has a correct factory-type antenna for your '65. Or look at this. The listing says "'62-'65 B-body", but the '65 parts catalogue lists the same P/N, 2291 336, for all A- and B-body applications.

Dan! I tried to email them but there is an error with the email address! Can you check it for me?

robjkc Hi Ulf, quick question. I noticed you took apart your vent windows and put in new seals. I'm thinking of doing the same on my 64 dart. Looks like you had to remove some rivets to remove the old seals. Was it a very tough job? My seals are pretty good but I have already rechromed all the vent window pieces and am thinking I should make everything new like you did. If I removed the seals then I could replate the inner frame. Thanks!

There is some work to do the job but it is Worth it big time. Re the headliner I bought mine from Legendary Auto Interior and I was very satiesfied. I opened the box and had it flat on the floor for 3 weeks to get rid of all the wrinkles! Good luck!

-
Back