1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
The "model year" in the American sense (1965-model cars sold from about September '64 to about August '65) has long been largely unknown outside North America, where a vehicle's production date is used for registration, parts lookup, etc.

The "model year" in the American sense (1965-model cars sold from about September '64 to about August '65) has long been largely unknown outside North America, where a vehicle's production date is used for registration, parts lookup, etc.

Very interesting Dan. Sounds like it could get more complicated to order and get the correct parts especially trim parts that change yearly. Got to have the vin or a production date. tmm

Yep, exactly. Outside North America, parts and service manuals generally go by vehicle serial number range and/or production date range. This method wasn't totally foreign to the US; Dodge trucks worked that way for quite awhile. They were registered by model year, of course, because that's how state registrars were set up. But the parts and service manuals up through sometime in the early-mid '70s were by serial number, not by model year.

Yep, exactly. Outside North America, parts and service manuals generally go by vehicle serial number range and/or production date range. This method wasn't totally foreign to the US; Dodge trucks worked that way for quite awhile. They were registered by model year, of course, because that's how state registrars were set up. But the parts and service manuals up through sometime in the early-mid '70s were by serial number, not by model year.

Thanks an for all the information. It's so valuable for us.

The trunk divider from Legendary is the same as the ones assembled at the Los Angeles plant. Blackon both sides. However a car produced in Detroit and St Louis has the black front towards the trunk and paper color towards the interior.

The last package from the Chrome shop showed up today. All the sun visor arms, rear view mirror base and all the lug nuts!

The package tray looks great but it's a little to wide and a little to long. Tonight I did some trimming and tomorrow a guy will help me to re-sew the side sweeps. I also did the front carpet and did the measurement for the heel pad. I cut open the place for the accelerator pedal so it will fit properly.

Thelast thing was to mount the dash pad. Man, it looks sweet! They did a beautiful job. I can highly recommend their service.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 559
  • 005.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 526
  • 004.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 502
  • 003.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 563
The inward facing side of the glove box door had to be one of the original cup 'holders'. I remember using it when I was a kid on the Saturday night visits to Dairy Queen in the summer!

Do you have the maintenance record plate that is Pop riveted to the left side of the inner glove box lid?

I bought that maintenance record from you Don! Lol But it was probably 3 years ago! The thing is that the rivets will not be 100% correctly. But that will still be the closest as I can get.

I bought that maintenance record from you Don! Lol But it was probably 3 years ago! The thing is that the rivets will not be 100% correctly. But that will still be the closest as I can get.

Really! I don't remember that! If you have a junk glove box, cut it open and grind the rivets off from the back side. That leaves the correct rivet head. Use a couple dabs of epoxy to hold the maintenance record to the glove box door then do the same for the correct rivets. People do the same thing when re-attaching a dash VIN plate to the dash.

Really! I don't remember that! If you have a junk glove box, cut it open and grind the rivets off from the back side. That leaves the correct rivet head. Use a couple dabs of epoxy to hold the maintenance record to the glove box door then do the same for the correct rivets. People do the same thing when re-attaching a dash VIN plate to the dash.

Don! Thanks for the lead. I did exactly what you said. I found one glove box door and cut it apart. After that in took off the rivets from the plate and then applayed some epoxy to hold the card in place and the rivets. I must admit that I had never thought of that!

Talking about the card there seems to be two styles.I checked with my other 65s and the one with blue boxes seems to be the right one. The other one might be the older style.

Next step was to break one pin off the Dartcharger emblem and grind off some material so the badge was flat. Then double side tejp and added some epoxy.

And finally added the glove box door handle that I bought from you. Now it starts to look like a Dartcharger.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 015.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 013.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 003.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 002.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 483
Now that looks sweet!

I know! Thanks Don for the tips. I owe you one!

Today I was able to clean and mount the plastic covers that goes on the side on the kick panels. I glued them in place due to problems sewing them in place.

I also found the mint used glove box liner I kept since mid 80ies. Since they don't repop the glove boxliner for 65-66 A-body this one did the job. However it needed a good cleaning and then it was ready.

The air ducts for the heater box was included in the NOS heater assy I bought two years ago. These air ducts seems to be in different diameter too. The left side is a little bigger compare to the right one. After some misadventures it was finally in place.

Next step was to mount the glove box liner with restored silver zinc screws. The way it looked in 1965!

Was the owners manual placed in the glove box by the assemly line staff or was it placed by the dealer?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 007.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 471
  • 005.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 002.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 429
  • 001.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 430
To continue the work on the interior I was pretty sure that I had bought NOS wind lacing from JC Auto. After one hour of searching I found it!!

Thanks Dan (slantsixdan) for the tips where to buy these. I took my brother in laws wind lacing so I could get the right dimension. After that I just trimmed two pieces.

Mounting was a little bit tricky due to big size of the corner of the sheet metal. Some punches and it settled well.

Now I can add the upper endings that I bought from Laysons.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 451
  • 002.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 401
I have been following your thread since you started. Your level of craftsmanship and dedication are just off the charts. You have a product built with more care and much nicer than what Chrysler turned out back in the 60's. Great work

I have been following your thread since you started. Your level of craftsmanship and dedication are just off the charts. You have a product built with more care and much nicer than what Chrysler turned out back in the 60's. Great work

Thanks Floyd for the nice comments. As a matter of fact I want to get it as close as possible. I have even reproduced some errors along the restoration!! So hopefully when it's done it will have all the errors, scratches and paint drops as they did back in the day!

Thanks to all the FABO members who has contributed to this build I have found tons on unvaluable information how it once was assembled.

Today I picked up the shortened package tray as well as the sewn in heel pad for the front carpet. Man, that looks great. My friend Andreas Westlin at the Lofstroms Skomakeri the work was professionally done.

First out was to mount the package tray. It's still a Little big but finally in Place it lokos good. I mounted it in the front with the small tabs. On the flat surface I will add two painted clips but unfortunately they arn't painted yet.

Next out was to fabricate the small extensions on each side of the carpet. I added and glued the special fabric band to keep the carpet and the extensions together. Lucky me fior repopping the decals under the carpet last year. All this time they have just been waiting to be added under the carpet!!

The last work was to mount the carpet hold downs and bring back the accelerator pedal in place. Next move will be to add the rear seat. To be continued..........

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 012.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 010.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 009.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 004.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 003.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 007.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 001.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 005.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 399
Late last night I tried to mount the upper part of the back seat. But there is a gap between the seat and the body! I tried to adjust the hooks where the back seat is hanged on but it didn't turn out better.

Is the solution to bend the bracker on the back seat so it gets closer to the body? It looks weired when you see between the body and the seat back.:banghead:

Finally back home from work I checked out the bar that the seat back hooks to the body. I bented them inwards so it would be a tighter fit. When mounting the seat back it turned out great. While in the process I found out that the assembly line staff weld the look tab the wrong way on the right side. The left is fine!

The lower seat was another story. I needed to adjust the bars that hooks into the floor.

For all of you that buys a new seat cover for your car, try to make these adjustments before adding the covers. It's easy to scratch the seat covers!! I even forgot that I had the correct label from the manufacturer of the rear seat spring!

The seat mounted well and it fits right into the correct position.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 008.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 007.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 006.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 005.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 004.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 003.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 002.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 001.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 366
Beautiful interior color combo! Never thought that pale yellow with gold/white interior would look so classy!

Fantastic job from the start. You are an inspiration to all. Viewing your photos and following along with this project has helped me a great deal on my 65. Thank you

Thanks Larry!

I'm about to get the power steering system filled with oil. But the big question is; what color was the factory power steering oil? I'm thinking of white but have heard about red too. But in my opinion red oil is transmission oil!

Finally back home from work I checked out the bar that the seat back hooks to the body. I bented them inwards so it would be a tighter fit. When mounting the seat back it turned out great. While in the process I found out that the assembly line staff weld the look tab the wrong way on the right side. The left is fine!

The lower seat was another story. I needed to adjust the bars that hooks into the floor.

For all of you that buys a new seat cover for your car, try to make these adjustments before adding the covers. It's easy to scratch the seat covers!! I even forgot that I had the correct label from the manufacturer of the rear seat spring!

The seat mounted well and it fits right into the correct position.

What? No build sheet stuffed under the rear seat springs? You just have to Ulf.

Colourless to very light yellow. Not red.

Thanks Dan! Now I can fill the system with the right oil. Not sure if they will judge it!

What? No build sheet stuffed under the rear seat springs? You just have to Ulf.

tmm! Actually most broadcast sheets were trown away at the Los Angeles plant accordning to Chrysler Historical and some staff I have talked too. However I found some evidence from a broadcast sheet under the drivers seat so I will put it there.

Today I was able to do the right side door. If I just could find the window cranks!!!:banghead:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 280
You know after watching this build it makes a guy a little goofy in a good way,What a inspiration you are to the hobby !!!!!! Normally I would look at a car like this and say oh well another dart BUT what a privilege it would be to be able to take a ride in this car man when you page thru this thread it is simply incredible what you have done and the attention to detail and perseverance u did to keep going,YOU my sir are simple talented and this shows thru in the finished product. OUTSTANDING !!!!!!! Steve

-
Back