1966 Factory V8 Valiant Signet Restoration For My Other Daughter

-
The valiant emblem on the T shirt is 62 to 66 so you nailed it. I always assumed they used that emblem all through the 60s but it is not used in the late 60s

The 60 and 61 were the same emblem but instead of red and blue it was red and grey.

67 they ditched that emblem all the way around and replaced it with the plymouth rocket (so I call it, but I don't know the official designation)

The plymouth rocket appeared until the 71 model year and after that only the cursive "valiant" emblem was seen.

Oddly enough 63 had a "by plymouth" emblem on the tail gate or rear deck and no where else on the car does it say plymouth, so it wasn't a plymouth valiant, it's a Valiant by plymouth.

View attachment 1715784631

View attachment 1715784632

Yea the '66 has the symbol on her shirt ALL OVER it.

Here is where we are going on the Valiant today (subject to change). Not quite as bright yellow but a scheme like this.

8BF97506-FFE6-4ED6-BB6F-C3DB5D5F09F9.jpeg

Oh no, everyone unsubscribed because we are thinking of painting it like a B Body! :poke:

1967 and back cars usually had no or very poor factory graphics and stripe options.

67 and back seemed to be very conservative times when you look at the available colors which were more earth tones and mature metallic selections.

When I was younger and starting out, I would have painted everything either panther pink or lime green with road runner stripes and a confederate flag and "01" on the doors.

But now that I'm older and been there, done that, I'm finding more pleasure in the mature metallics like a bright turquoise metallic or in 66 they offered a debonair mauve metallic that looks absolutely dashing.

You do what you want but I think stripes would take away from the design and era of the car. Just my .02.

It's her car and what's important is what she wants. If she wants panther pink with stripes and flowers I would do it summer of love lol!
Speaking of stripes and flowers, I think "Mod Tops" are unique. For sure not period correct and don't think they were optional even in a Valiant of the year(s) those tops were available, but as mentioned it's her car. Could you imagine Panther Pink "and" a mod top?
Jim, that's something the pex with the lag in it didn't give way for all those years. Nice work with the high lift door rails and boy oh boy that looks like the Coronet's roof is almost touching the ceiling. Nice collection of MoPars BTW. What year is the Twister? Don't recall ever seeing turn signal indicators on leading edge of fenders on cars beyond 70, interesting. The ramps on the lift surely look like head bangers, guess you get used to where they are after a bit, or several bangs on the head. Great job.

Speaking of stripes and flowers, I think "Mod Tops" are unique. For sure not period correct and don't think they were optional even in a Valiant of the year(s) those tops were available, but as mentioned it's her car. Could you imagine Panther Pink "and" a mod top?
Jim, that's something the pex with the lag in it didn't give way for all those years. Nice work with the high lift door rails and boy oh boy that looks like the Coronet's roof is almost touching the ceiling. Nice collection of MoPars BTW. What year is the Twister? Don't recall ever seeing turn signal indicators on leading edge of fenders on cars beyond 70, interesting. The ramps on the lift surely look like head bangers, guess you get used to where they are after a bit, or several bangs on the head. Great job.

Is a generic '72 but it is built up just like Kaelyn wanted.

After a good day of blastin..... never mind there is no such thing as a _good_ day of blasting.... I need to get that rear finished so we can get the power train out and on the rotisserie engine stands.... This was a diversion and something I need to pace myself with, just do some here and there so I am not in a place where I have nothing but blasting to do for weeks.... This is a a good chunk done. Just a little air across the compressor can make a heck of a difference.. show your compressor some love when it is running all day in the heat...

More sand in the shoes than on in the blaster at the end of the day... This poor old girl has had a tough life.. every panel has some abuse on it.. shaped a number of things back into a more factory look as I went.

It is amazing how staying in the shade can keep you going much longer. She is ready for her new spot in the garage

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

I never realized there were 2 door hardtops made in 66. I assumed all 2 door 66 valiants were 2 door sedans because that's all I've ever seen around and there's a lot of them.

Then this one pops up with no pillar post behind the door.

Mega cool.

Lord after record rain we get hit with dangerous heat (with no rain).... It sure seems like I did a lot more than the photos shows, I am spent.... I will let the photos do the talking... Tomorrow I need to go to town and get more gas then I can weld in the spot welds on this quarter and run the weld across the back edge of it and it is DONE!!!! Then I can weld in the trunk pan then.... damn do the other quarter panel.....

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited:
Just a bit of fine fitting. I am leaving the bottom edge until after I have the top and part of the front done to get the curvature correct... the rest fits marvelous darling...

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Ready for some welding... The front is not a gap it is the shape is not right so it is setting behind the original. Once flush it is a perfect fit.

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. It looks factory... A long ground wire from the blower motor to the body where the kick panel is... I needed to do a bit of blending where I fixed the inner fender. That said I would need to shoot it with epoxy before welding on the quarter panel, that said if I was going to get the paint gun out lets make it worth the effort, that said I decided to blast a few spots so I could epoxy them, that said once you get all the crap out and get dirty screw it just keep going till dinner time....

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Why are there so many speaker holes in the package tray??

That would make it handy to add some modern stereo equipment.

I'm currently planning a system in my valiant and I'm thinking to leave the hole open where the rear defrost bezel would go to act as a bass port so the trunk has some air circle-ation and really rattle that deck lid. :p

Why are there so many speaker holes in the package tray??

That would make it handy to add some modern stereo equipment.

I'm currently planning a system in my valiant and I'm thinking to leave the hole open where the rear defrost bezel would go to act as a bass port so the trunk has some air circle-ation and really rattle that deck lid. :p

One is for the rear window defogger motor most likely.

I should be welding in the quarter but when you get a wild hair and want to blast, use it... I tried the 50 grit on the air tool... waist of time. The wire brush can get a lot of it off and the scratches it puts in will allow the blaster to attach it faster so it is will worth this pre-step in these nasty rusty areas with lots of sealer (the blaster won't touch the sealer)....

This car has had at least 2 or 3 sets of wrong buckets in it. I never knew there were special "bench seat plugs" for these old cars that got buckets.

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Notice how the driver seat has much larger reinforcements than the passenger.... Floor is blasted and the inner fender is epoxied and ready to install the quarter panel. The Marine approves.

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0020.jpg

Chuck wagon cooking, Dutch ovens, etc always intrigued me!!
And......I tell my wife, IF her biscuit ain't hand and home, made don't fed it to me!!!
She just put up about 12 jars of fig preserves!

Spent a few hours this afternoon... too hot out there today. We are committed now. It is lining up within 1/16", can't ask for more. The RH upper quarter piece from Michigan had the holes for the taillight in it. For some reason it does not line up well. Need to expand the clearance holes so I can rotate that taillight to be vertical. The LH will go vertical if you rotate it so that one is good.

You always will need some minor adjustments to your weld joint as you go. I needed to skim just a little off the back top to get it to fit perfect.

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

Need to work the front edge some other day and trim the bottom to fit in front of the wheel but for now the back looks perfect.

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg

Nothing picture worthy but many packages sent out today. Radiator and heater core to Glen-Ray, plastic dash bezels to Vacuum OraMetal for restoration, seat plugs for the bench seat holes when buckets are installed (Kurt Eastabrooks is going to try to make molds and create a new product), speedometer head to Dick's Speed-o-tach for restoration and calibration, plus finally sent out a few packages of items I gave/sold to several folks from the left over Dart parts.

-
Back