1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
Man all this work that shouldn't have to be done... But I'm imagining its gana turn out way better this way compared to the last atempt

Good luck man. Lookin sharp!!!!

dave looks great,,, i wish i had your time,,to work on my cars,,,why are you going to do the engine bay at a later time????

Don,t save engine bat for later?Your this far,keep going and do it all!You,ll regret not doing the full pull!Might as well!It,ll all be fresh?

dave looks great,,, i wish i had your time,,to work on my cars,,,why are you going to do the engine bay at a later time????

Don,t save engine bat for later?Your this far,keep going and do it all!You,ll regret not doing the full pull!Might as well!It,ll all be fresh?

I have debated pulling everything out, but I just don't know yet. After all I went through just to get the engine, headers, 5-speed, hydraulic clutch, radiator, suspension etc etc into the car I really want to drive the car. It would be heart breaking to redo all that over again even though I know it is the best decision, but it already has paint in the engine bay as of right now. I kinda want it as a reminder of how shitty the previous painter's work was compared to mine. Painting the eingine bay later is not that big of a deal since there won't be any tape lines you can actually see.

This is how the engine bay looks now but I know the paint will not last. If I do pull everything out I want to finish all the body work first. I will be crossing that road next month. This would set me back another month probably which is okay, but i want to drive this summer. We'll see how it goes. I can licve with it for now.:sad7:

Some differences now like Firecore Wires and a shorter K&N fliter with the same color element as the lid.

Wiring058.jpg

Wiring057.jpg

ENGINEDASH029.jpg

ENGINEDASH028.jpg

DAVE i dont know about you,,when i built my cuda i didnt fire the motor till every thing i wanted done at that point in time was finished,,once you start driving it,, you may never want to tear it apart again to redo the engine bay,,by then the motor may be a little dirty,may have a little color fade,then you ewill find your self repainting the motor,ETC,, i have a ton of new things for my b cuda,,,but just cant seem to get to them,,with my work hours,,

if it was me and my car was that far apart,,ide do the engine bay now,,and enjoy it afterwards,,you have year round cruising weather there,,,

Dave,the way your old paint was peeling off,you might fire it up and the air draw of your fan might..rip the paint off inner fendersLOL!J/k.I forgot you have 12 months a year cruising!It,s your car,decisions,decisions.Have fun eitherway!

AS much as I hate to do it. I've been leaning more towards yanking the motor and suspension again. It's not that hard just a major PITA. Stripping it won't be too bad as I might just sand blast the tough areas. I just gotta find a place to put everything while I'm painting. Guess I'll have to built a storage shed or something.

dave

looking good my brother, I am pretty sure I saw this car at the fall fling a few years ago, in fact I was considering buying it myself. but had a deal working on 2 other A body convertibles at the time.
where are you located i am from chino hills.

regards
jeff reynolds

dave

looking good my brother, I am pretty sure I saw this car at the fall fling a few years ago, in fact I was considering buying it myself. but had a deal working on 2 other A body convertibles at the time.
where are you located i am from chino hills.

regards
jeff reynolds

Thank you. Doubt you ever saw it at the Fling for sale. Found it in Fresno a few years ago. I'm the second owner. BTW I'm in Ventura.

For those following this I am going to pull the engine out. Decided this after seeing a couple of Chargers the other day and I'm way too far into this thing to make it half assed now. It will be worth it and you're right I can cruise all year round.

Its the downfall of mankind...."As long as I am doing this much, I might as well (fill in your project)"

:toothy10:

Its the downfall of mankind...."As long as I am doing this much, I might as well (fill in your project)"

:toothy10:

Oh so true.

Glad thing I decided to pull the motor....the paint on the inner fenders peeled just like the door. WHAT A ******* IDIOT THE GUY THAT TRIED TO PAINT MY CAR!!!!!!! Ahhh I feel better now.

This will give me a chance to better my detailing of the engine bay anyways.

I have made more progress though. Almost have all the primer wetsanded to 600 grit. I have a few spots of primer breakthrough and once that is perfect I'll pull the motor/tranny and suspension as one unit as before. It will be based and cleared this summer for sure. :cheers:

Got a test panel done over the weekend. I have to say I'm about ready to shoot my car after these results straight out of the gun. This was a spare door that I painted with some Dupont Chromabase Silver Metallic a friend gave me.

Whatcha think. No wetsanding or buffing yet. Next up will be the engine bay in a couple weeks or so. :cheers:

SilverDoor001.jpg

SilverDoor012.jpg

SilverDoor021.jpg

SilverDoor020.jpg

SilverDoor022.jpg

SilverDoor019.jpg

looks good Dave, since silver is a hard color to spray with out getting blotchy. You'll be spraying the convert in no time!!

Dam that looks good !!!!

Cant wait for this car to fiiiiiiinnnnnaaaallllyyyy be finished !!!!

Thanks I'm real happy with my first attempt. If it goes this smooth I will be stoked for sure. Ready to have this car done Johnny.

looks good Dave, since silver is a hard color to spray with out getting blotchy. You'll be spraying the convert in no time!!

That's why I was told to practice with silver. I'm not touching my gun settings at all. The metallic laid out absolutely perfect. The clear was slick too. Doing a flowcoat Saturday with 2-3 more coats of clear so I have plenty to work with when I practice my cut & buff skills.

Damn, Dave! That looks awesome! How much to paint my Barracuda? ;-)

looking real good
i seriously want you to paint. my convertible

-
Back