1967 Cuda FB project

-
Blasted the oil pan clean this afternoon. Have to get the engine out of the Cuda to mock up the oil pick up tube for the pan. Then I can put a couple baffles inside the pan and then powder coat it!

Slowly.................. :D

Working on a hub for the harmonic balancer so I can bolt another pulley to the front of the balancer for a SC belt. I will take pics later today. Also going to get the 300 in and pull the engine assy out so I can mock up said SC. :D

How's that? :toothy1:

That's great...you got a throw us a bone very now and then along with some pics of the leg!!!

treblig

Pics of balancer I am modifying. First one is a stock 5.7 hemi balancer I took apart. Going to cut the harmonic part from the stock pulley and mount it to the new front pulley system.
View attachment WP_20160305_001.jpg
This is the pulley for the SC that gets bolted to the new pulley system.
View attachment WP_20160305_002.jpg
This is the new pulley set up. I have to get a pic of the front side so you can see what I am doing a little easier. :D
View attachment WP_20160305_003.jpg

Got the 300 in shop. Gonna de-engine it today or tomorrow. :glasses7:

A few more of the big end where the SC pulley will bolt to. Going to cut it in the middle of the 5&1/2" groove. That will sandwich the harmonic balancer pulley.
View attachment WP_20160305_004.jpg
This is the recess for the SC pulley to seat into. I will drill and tap 6 holes for bolts in there too.
View attachment WP_20160305_006.jpg

View attachment WP_20160305_007.jpg
Letting the metal cool for couple hours so I can get an exact measurement without heat added stretch.

Off to sit a few minutes, then remove 5.7 from 300. :blob:

Nice!! I was a machinist for 30 years so I can appreciate what you're doing. Especially when you get down to the .0001", a few degrees in temperature can ruin a part.

Treblig

Nice!! I was a machinist for 30 years so I can appreciate what you're doing. Especially when you get down to the .0001", a few degrees in temperature can ruin a part.

Treblig

I am within .0010", will measure tomorrow and sneak up on it. :D

The 300 is all wheel drive........ The front diff is part of the oil pan........ Have to pull the axles and then the engine mounts. Should come out then, I hope............ :violent1:
More work............

Polished the seal area on the crank pulley and got the size within .00005

I want a lathe! and a mill... and... sometimes I miss my last job.
Worked as an engineer here: http://www.utexas.edu/research/cem/facilities.html

Assorted Mills, Lathes, Band Saws. Sheet metal brakes. CNC plasma cutting table. CNC water jet. Welding equipment. Carbon fiber fabrication facilities including cure oven, two filament winding machines and a 7' diameter autoclave. Three 25 ton gantry cranes.

After hours I could work on my own stuff if I wanted. Currently I have a few parts I want to make and I can't do it myself. Sucks.

Attachments

• 224_2481s.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 227
Let's see a pic of the top side of the hood so we can see exactly what you're trying to accomplish!!

treblig

One of my favorite things about your build has been the attention to details that give the impression the car came from the factory with the mods. The hood under-structure will probably go unnoticed when the car is done but it won't be an area that gives away the fact it was modified.

I know that most guys familiar with the 60's era cars will notice the majority of the custom work you've done but I sometimes try to imagine the perspective of the younger crowd who'll be seeing a fastback Cuda for the first time.

Hidden door handles are a giveaway that a car's been customized. - Your modern treatment is subtle enough to still seem plausible as o.e.m. - The same goes for the small chop, the windshield mod, the modernized bumpers, etc... As always, I'm pleased to see the blending of the 60s with all your updates.

I think you're going to have a much more difficult time with the interior. It seems that most guys would either keep everything original or go everything modern. I'm hoping you'll come up with a hybrid blend to match the rest of the car.

I think you're going to have a much more difficult time with the interior. It seems that most guys would either keep everything original or go everything modern. I'm hoping you'll come up with a hybrid blend to match the rest of the car.

I have laid awake nites thinking about that very problem..... :violent1: The seats will have to be nice, that's about it for inner comforts besides AC and tunes. I am leaning towards sparse on the interior, but, on the other hand, all the comforts would make a nice cruiser.

Working on mounting the gas tank ala mustang style. :glasses7:
View attachment WP_20160319_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20160319_005.jpg
The awesome riv-nut tool!!
View attachment WP_20160319_006.jpg

More later.

-
Back