1970 Dart Swinger

-
Thanks, OTR! I need to just take a few weeks off of work and finish the paint now. LOL!

The way you have been working on the body I am sure the paint will look great.

I'm trying to do this ONCE and only ONCE! I really want to drive the car, but I'd rather build it right than fast.

I agree and the work you are doing a great job. Like everyone says the Devil Is in the details and you are spot on. I wish I could do it

I'm trying to do this ONCE and only ONCE! I really want to drive the car, but I'd rather build it right than fast.

very true. Dont rush you will have the car for as long as you want. It will be worth the hot days and long nights working by yourself or struggling alot. Built not bought is my motto. You will appreciate the car a lot more. I know I did.

Looking good! very nicely done,I like your color choice.

Your resto is taking my back rnaz. I aggravated a herneated twice while doing my trunk and hood. Like I mentioned earlier, it looks like you have a handle on things and will learn alot as you go along. Heres mine if your interested.

changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto. (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)

Your resto is taking my back rnaz. I aggravated a herneated twice while doing my trunk and hood. Like I mentioned earlier, it looks like you have a handle on things and will learn alot as you go along. Heres mine if your interested.

changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto. (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)
Awesome!

I also have the curse of lower back trouble. I have already had 1 laminectomy, and on my way to a second one if I don't watch what I'm doing. It kills me to be bent over for long periods of time.

I agree and the work you are doing a great job. Like everyone says the Devil Is in the details and you are spot on. I wish I could do it

I took this project on with the idea that I was going to challenge myself to do something that I haven't done before. I have built plenty of engines over the years, but I have never done body work. (I've never owned a real classic car, worth doing body work on either, LOL!)

Looking good! very nicely done,I like your color choice.
Thanks!

My wife actually picked out that color. I was going to paint it either B5 blue, or a newer black cherry.

Just found your thread. Your car is looking awsome in a short time. I like your choice of color, my 71 is Plum Crazy. Good luck getting more work done on it.

Thanks, HemiPar!

I'm definitely happy with my progress so far. The car was in very good shape when I got it, so I had something nice to work with right from the start.

OK. I haven't been able to do anything for the last 2 weeks, but I got a lot done today.

The LH quarter panel is sanded, filled, and primed with a couple of heavy coats of primer.

As I bought the car:

DSC03877.jpg

After today:

DSC00314.jpg

I got the driver side door done tonight. What a flippin' pain! They used that garbage paint, and over top of it was some kind of concrete like substance that didn't like to sand out.

Before:
IMAG0353.jpg

Primed with 4 coats of surfacer:

IMAG0356.jpg

Driver side view.

IMAG0355.jpg

OK. I got my primer yesterday afternoon, and tonight, I put (hopefully) the last coat of primer on the RH side and on the roof.

All I have left to do is block those areas again and wet sand before painting. I'm going to get the LH side to the same point by the end of the weekend, and with any luck, I'll be spraying some purple on parts by next weekend.

Some pics for your enjoyment

Blocked and leveled before primer:

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

More primer laid down:

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

Sneak peek of the color and how it's laying down on some small parts:

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

Yep. Summit acrylic urethane single stage with a high solids clear urethane over it.

Thanks for the kind words, OTR!

Yep. Summit acrylic urethane single stage with a high solids clear urethane over it.

Thanks for the kind words, OTR!

You're welcome, I hope I can do as well when the time comes.

It's all in the prep work. I have learned that the more care you take up front, the better the paint goes down.

If I can do it and make things come out nice, anyone can with a little effort.

-
Back