1970 Poison Dart

-
damn 68A growing up around a body shop and my father owning one.. ive always had an eye for paint/body work..and..well... sorry man.. the last pic tells it all. poor car

i could show you some close up pics that are pretty rough. I'm gettin the mechanicals done, and maybe in a couple years i'll be willing to try or pay for some body work.

Any progress on the poison dart?!?!

Hey guys, we made some more progress this weekend. We werent going to remove the glass but we did when we discovered a possible leak. So we removed the glass and sprayed this stuff on the floor called Os Flow and it is basically a phosphoric acid metal prep. Then we cleaned some parts sanded some panels and thats basically it untill next weekend. Next is to put seam sealer on the floor and paint it. Last one is me and my cousin prepping the floor.
:tongue8:

DSC02690.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

DSC02663.jpg

Hurry up and finish that Damn Car. I need my fishing partner back. Looking good MOPARTEEN. Keep it up!

Sorry guys havent been posting much lately kinda got lazy. Wev'e been working on the body for the last couple weekends here and i have some more progress pics. We welded shut the shifter hole in the floor because now we got a cable shifter so we just need a little hole instead of a big square. Then we have been getting the passenger rear quarter ready for primer. The body guy comes to our house and we are doing the car sorta one panel at a time. We got our front and rear bumpers from chrome and they look really good. All i did was restore the existing tail lights and polished the bumpers and they look awesome. Also we bought original steel 340 hood scoops and had the bezels rechromed also. Before we had the reproduction fiberglass ones and what a difference in the overall quality and look in the originals. Well thats it for now, this weekend we should have primer on the quarters. Take it easy, Rob.

DSC02741.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02739.jpg

Just to clarify the dude welding with no helmet is the body guy not me. My dad makes me wear a welding helmet!

wassup guys. Made more progress yesterday. We got the passenger rear quarter in primer. We still got a little more work to do on the main body line because we had to weld the trim holes shut. But the quarter itself is straight. We dusted it with balck spray paint to show the low spots after we block it. We also primed the front and rear valences. Today i am going to do my homework and tomorrow is no school so i am going to hit it hard. I still have 2 patches to weld under the rockers and i have to start preppin the rear drivers quarter. Well i will post pics of tomorrows progress tomorrow and MOPAr 4 LIFE.

DSC02749.jpg

DSC02752.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

Are you going with the same Light Gold?

I have the same color (Y4 Light gold)on my Dart.

Painter told me yesterday if I wanted to change the color,now is the time.

Sublime,Plum Crazy,Hemi Orange.....Wheels are spinning now.#-o

Picture 396.jpg

Notice my avitar? yes, my '70 4 door is the same color, unfortunately, I rolled it twice this winter after hitting some black ice, it's a shame, 61,000 miles, orig paint, 318 auto, no rust . I am in the process of transplanting the drivetrain into a '69 Valiant 2 door post. I think that this is "The" color for the '70-'72 Darts. Good luck on your project! Tom.:salut:

hmm,

i never noticed that the rear valance bolts on as well.

must be all the filler on my car...

but yours is looking GREAT!!

Notice my avitar? yes, my '70 4 door is the same color, unfortunately, I rolled it twice this winter after hitting some black ice, it's a shame, 61,000 miles, orig paint, 318 auto, no rust . I am in the process of transplanting the drivetrain into a '69 Valiant 2 door post. I think that this is "The" color for the '70-'72 Darts. Good luck on your project! Tom.:salut:

thats why you park it durin the winter so you dont wreck it and dont let the salt get to it.

BTW the dart is lookin good moparteen

This is what I did yesterday. I am officially a certified master welder lol!
I had to weld up 2 patches underneath the drivers rocker panel. I first cut out the cancer and then made a patch. then i welded the patches in and grinded the welds smooth. Then i applied this stuff called duraglass. It is a fiberglass type thing that boat repairmen use. It totally seals the metal from any type of moisture and when it dries its harder then a rock. Today i sanded it smooth with 40 grit and applied some bondo that is currently drying. Then I will sand the bondo and it will be ready for sealer. Its kinda weird because the only places i have found rust is underneath the rockers and i am fortunate the cancer spots are only little patches. Well thats it for this weekend i am very tired and getting ready to celebrate memorial day with my family we are preparring 10 racks of Ribs, i cant wait. Take it easy guys and happy memorial day.

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

DSC02772.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

Make sure you cook them Slow and Low at least 9 hours. They will fall of the bone. I put some on yesterday at 6:45am and took them off at 5pm. They were amazing!

I'm up in Jacksonville - probably run into you somewhere at a show. I've done everything your doing to your car over the last 2 1/2 years (Swinger as well, 340 car) Just painted mine Sublime last weekend, the 2007 Sublime, not the original and I'm real happy with the color. The 2007 has pearl and metallic in it and really looks good, if your considering Sublime, make sure you check out the new '07 color first (it'll look better than your Dads!) Good luck - see you at Garlits ?

Made alot more progress. Schools out for the summer and i have been working at my new job and working on the car everyday so i didnt get around to posting. We blocked the primer we sprayed on the passanger rear quarter and sprayed the driver rear quarter in primer also. Then we blocked the drivers side. The body guy says we are going to put on one last coat of primer and then block it again! after the rear quarters are done we are going to attack the doors, fenders, and hood.Me and my Dad are going to strip the engine compartment because the previous owner sprayed the engine compartment black with this cheap paint and it is literally like gum, it is very hard and escrutiating to sand. Its coming along, the rear quarters have tooken shape and the bodylines were straight to begin with but due to the filling of the trim holes we had to dial them in. Well, ill post some pics and take it easy guys.

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

WOW fancy lil' shade canopy you have there to work under must be real nice lol. I have a nice shade tree over the driveway that drips sap on me and it's still hotter than blue blazes here in Texas haha. Yeah welding upside down sucks and I'm sure you figured that out fast since you are new at welding, I have an a couple of auto shade helmets, I can sell you one =] lol. Keep up the good work bro !

Moparteen, your progress looks great! :thumbup:

What primer are you using? Are you spraying it outside? What paint gun are you using? Details, details.

We are using this primer called slick sand, it is a primer with liquid bondo in it. It lays on thick and you block it down so its nice and smooth and straight. It will fill in sanding scratches but you wont get away with murder with it. The body guy that comes over my house every saturday uses a hvlp gun and we are only spraying the primer outside in my drive way. When we lay down the color and clear we are bringing it to the guys shop and using a professional spray booth. I think the final coat of primer (not slick sand) we are also spraying in the drive way. About the shade canopy we are in south Florida and the humidity is kiling us. It helps to block the sun but you are still dripping with sweat just walking outside. we just bought it and it was a great deal at Walmart for like 85 bucks. I would like an auto shade helmet but the welder is my dads friends so i wont be welding much after this car unless we buy a welder. Well i gotta mow my yard ill keep you guys updated.

DSC02788.jpg

-
Back